Will my stock 73 FJ55 survive the Washington BDR? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Its 600 miles off road and that route has gained considerable popularity with adventure motorcyclists and overlanders as per the link above. Any trail that is popular with adventure motorcyclists and overlanders should be an easy drive for a stock pig.

Maybe you guys should get back to talking about your super soft November birthday parties and stop scaring @hammertimeSD, we just had two pig parties this year that had stock pigs in attendance with similar routes to the Washington BDR in difficulty

iu

Pitter patter

I'm not a hardcore mechanic. I bought something that was running and in good enough condition to drive as my daily (this is how I justified it to my wife :), I sold my 100 series to my son to have the best of both worlds). I've done lightweight work on he 100 series like radiator, alternator, fan clutch, coils, etc... I don't mind getting my hands dirty and figuring things out, but I won't personally be doing an LS swap or putting it on an 80 series frame :).

Here's my early list. I've only owned it a week, so still figuring things out. I'd love your thoughts on any of this, as y'all are much farther down the road than I am with your knowledge of these Pigs.

Current project list
  • Replace battery (done)
  • Replace alternator (ordered from Cruiser Corps, any thoughts on ordering parts from them?)
  • Replace regulator (Cruiser Corps)
  • Repair/replace emergency brake (Ordered from Cruiser Corps)
  • Radio, something very stock looking (this is my daily driver, I don't drive much right now, but when I do, I need some music, ideas?)
  • Deep clean interior
  • Flush/Replace all Fluids
  • Day trip test (Otay Truck Trail)
2021 Q1 List
  • Hunt down/repair electrical issues (voltmeter not working, no power to CB, KC lights not working, lots of aftermarket switches that appear to do nothing)
  • Repair back window (gets stuck half way down)
  • Go through everything mechanically and make this a longer list. lol
  • Overnight test trip (Ocotillo Wells?)
2021 Q2 List
  • Make sure 4WD Lo and hubs are working well
  • Possible upgrade of suspension
  • New Tires (33s?)
  • Figure out how to add external gas storage (rear mount/swing out?)
  • 3-4 day test trip (Mojave Road?)
June 20th - Leave for Washington

(Photos are coming)

Looks like a fun time. Maybe I could join you. I have been wanting to do a PNW trip. What part of SD? I am in Scripps Ranch but my Pig is in Escondido:confused:.

Megadoomer! I'm in Rancho Penasquitos, probably one exit up the road from you! I'd love to sync up. Is your pig drive-able right now? Maybe we could have the Pigs meet for beers.🍻

Oh ya PQ. Real close. My pig is in transition right now. Getting an LS swap and new front suspension. Second Chance is 5 bldgs from my office. We don't need pigs to drink beer...just sayin.

Got a good looking crew there! Looks like you'll be needing either a brake rebuild or knuckle redo, probably both. Seems to be in great shape, so should stay within budget and don't worry about budgeting, we can handle that for you. :)

Most guys start with a lot less and turn them into keepers, so you're very fortunate to have one in such good condition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom