Which trans? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Long story short I am new to the cruiser thing, I've always had modified Jeep Cherokees (I know, bad word!) but now am the proud owner of two Cruisers! I have an '89 FJ62, and as of last night an 85 FJ60. The FJ60 is obviously a manual 4spd, but has an overdrive, question is what trans is this and what overdrive? Is this a factory setup? It is a shifter on the floor just in front of the 4spd shifter. Thanks in advance for any help answering this!

Transmission, if stock 4spd, is the H42.. There are multiple overdrive adapters out there but depending on when it was installed it could be a Downey or Marks Adapter.

Maybe a Fairey Overdrive?

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Long story short I am new to the cruiser thing, I've always had modified Jeep Cherokees (I know, bad word!) but now am the proud owner of two Cruisers! I have an '89 FJ62, and as of last night an 85 FJ60. The FJ60 is obviously a manual 4spd, but has an overdrive, question is what trans is this and what overdrive? Is this a factory setup? It is a shifter on the floor just in front of the 4spd shifter. Thanks in advance for any help answering this!

what engine is in the 60 series? V-8? could be the adaptor gearbox from AA?
where in MT are you? you can check in here also
MT- 406 Cruisers

The engine is the stock 2F, everything about this thing is bone stock....except apparently an overdrive setup. I am over in Harrison.

Probably a Fairey, the one that replaces the back half of the split case transfer case. If it working, don't touch it. Parts are not available. Post some pics of the trans/transfer case and we can tell you for sure. A search for 'Fairey' will produce threads with the install documentation.

IMG_0035.JPG
Here is a pic from the rear looking forward, gigantic skid pan under trans and transfer making it hard to take any other pic

That casting is obscenely clean! If your overdrive shifter is in front of the transmission shifter, it could be a Ranger overdrive, right? How about a photo of your shifters?

Where the shifter is located and how the back of the transfer case is further back on the left side I'm going to say Fairey Overdrive. It replaces the back half of the stock Split transfer case. Ranger usually fit behind a V8.

Yup I think that is the Fairey (meant that not Downey earlier). Also I think with the AA Ranger the shifter is actually further to the left of the tranny almost like you have 3 sticks inline with one another, not one that is rearward.
@orion Where is the shifter for you Ranger situated (I know its on a V8 but still should be semi relevant).

It's a Fairey. It adds a second gear cluster to the input of the split case. It is a good design but the syncros didn't hold up on mine. It eventually wore to the point that it wouldn't stay in gear.

Leave it and use it gently. I recommend only shifting up while moving. Wait until you've stopped to down shift. Should give you years of trouble free service.

The install manual has been posted on Mudd in the 60 section within the last couple of years. Search and you'll find it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom