Which steering stabilizer???!!! ('74) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.junajpu.com
Hi-
Big favor:
If someone could take a look at this page and tell me which steering stabilizer works for my 1974 FJ40?
I have a friend coming to Guatemala, and he lives close to Naapa auto parts in MD.
These are the choices:
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/R...g stabilizer kit/Ntk-Keyword/Nty-1/N-0/Nao-10
I have checked the forums and see that most recommend Old Man Emu- but there is a time constraint here. I really appreciate it!
Have a great day!

Any of those kits work. Though, I doubt you need a dual stabilizer kit. One stabilizer should more than suffice. The "kits" are just a generic kit that uses U bolts to attach the shock to your axle housing and tie rod. In my opinion, the kits you have shown at Napa are a bit high priced. I recently got a Skyjacker kit - brackets, U bolts, and shock - off Amazon for $60. But, if you're in a time crunch, you gotta do what you gotta do. Just beware, these kits do not fit the stock location (i.e. frame to relay rod). Looking through the Napa site, it shows one stabilizer that will work in the OEM spot, but it also comes with brackets? I dunno? Like I said, the full "kit" comes with brackets to mount to the tie rod and axle housing. I have Scout power steering, so I got a kit that would work with that.

:cheers:

Yes... They recommend 2 that are nothing close to what we need for an FJ40..
Thanks!

So I take it that you are looking for a direct OEM replacement and not a universal kit. If that is the case it looks like he is going to have to go to or order from other than NAPA to get what you want.

Three comments:

Your tag line says that your truck is stock except for points replacement. That's great. Why rush and get a bolt-on Rancho? Why not keep it original?

The part number depends on whether you have an early 74 or not. The part number changed in 11/73. I'm assuming that you have a General Market model. 45700-60011 for early, 60012 for 12/73 on.

Do you even need a steering damper? If you have good ball joints, steering, and alignment, the damper isn't really needed. Many of us run without one. Worst case you could run with what you have until you get the right one.

Hi Ed-
I live in a town with cobblestone streets, and am often off road, not for pleasure, I live in Guatemala!
My steering column is rattling now and again depending on the road, so I just figured it was that.
As it turns out, my friend just wrote me and told me TSA at the airport took the damper away......so I am back to square one.
aaarrrgggh! Thanks though! I'm going to have the other elements checked out later today.
Feliz dia!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom