Which one should I sell? (1 Viewer)

Which should I sell?

• Sell the Tahoe

Votes: 12 80.0%
  • Sell the 80

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I'm struggling with a decision.

I have a spectacular condition 1995 K1500 (i.e. 4x4 with part-time 4x4 and open diffs) Chevy Tahoe with the 6.5 Turbo Diesel. I've owned it for 10 years, and I've built it up to a high level of performance and reliability. Specifically:

* 3" body lift
* 15" Centerline wheels with 33" Firestone Destination ATs (Super smooth on the freeway!) with full-sized spare externally mounted on custom swing-away mount.
* HyperTech chip = more fuel, more turbo pressure, firmer shift points from the transmission.
* Flowmaster crossover/downpipe, hogged out intake, '97 air cleaner assembly with factory filter
* #280 flex-a-lite electric fans
* PowerSlot brake rotors
* Hellwig sway bars front and rear, with urethane bushings.
* Rancho adjustable shocks
* Cab lights, nerf step bars, husky liners
* Heath FSD (Fuel Solenoid Driver) Isolator, Health HD Lift Pump
* OPS (Oil Pressure Switch) Relay Mod
* 170 Amp Alternator (sure helps with the electric fans).
* 0-60 in 9.5 seconds!!! and an average of 13-16MPG on #2 diesel.
* I haven't dynoed it, but I'd estimate it to be around 200++HP and 400++ lb-ft of torque!

In summary, I've turned it into a bit of a SUV hot-rod.

I recently picked up a white 3x locked 1997 FZJ80 from it's first owner with 200K miles. Now that I've had it for a couple of months, I realize that it hasn't received as much care as my Tahoe. Example: It appears that someone bypassed the A/C wiring and put in a manual switch that controls the A/C clutch... and they just twisted the wires together at the ends and applied electrical tape(!!!). Lots of other signs of lackluster maintenance and care... broken power seats, fading plastics and rubber, split leather, smelly interior with stains and rubbish, and broken rear-wiper. Other than that, it does smoke a bit at startup, and the front end feels a bit loose. Other than that, it runs fine. I ran a compression test on it, and it's basically 180 straight across all 6 cylinders. Shifts are firm and solid, and it doesn't appear to have any body damage or other issues. No rust.

I've actually had a lot of fun fixing the various bits on it... and everything actually works now (although it still smokes and I haven't finished baselining it... e.g. axle rebuild, etc.).

So... thanks for reading this far. Here's the question.

I've agreed to sell ONE of the vehicles as we now officially have too many to fit in the garage. I'm torn between the two vehicles. My thumbnail comparison:

Fun and power factor= Tahoe
Reliability factor = 80
Parts availability = tie
Convenience and Utility = 80 (2 more doors, greater cargo area, lots easier for family to get in and out, etc.)
Looks = Tahoe (this is subjective I know)
Upgradeability = 80
Support network = 80 (iH8MUD is king!)
Underlying capability = 80 (Full-time 4WD plus lockers beats RWD and open diffs)
Quality of build and design = 80
Safety = 80 (although neither have safety test results, the 80 has a high build quality and dual air bags)
Electronics = 80 (80 has OBD2 and better design to boot)

What is your opinion... which should go and which should stay and why? BTW, I have eliminated the "Bling wheels" and the 80 is back to stock wheels and tires (Michelins).
Tahoe 1.png

Tahoe 2.png
00b0b_1cvN0UhQM8l_600x450.jpg
01212_rzpieA6vJB_600x450.jpg
00X0X_fwWgruHNeck_600x450.jpg

That's a tough one......

I have actually seen that Tahoe on Google search images I believe, really top notch. I actually own a 82 k5 with a transplanted 6.5 turbo, great engine and I can only imagine the creature comforts a a 94 Tahoe compared to a 82 k5... I really can't put a vote in as I am partial to both BUT I can say this, whichever you get rid of you will regret.

I had a 6.5 '95 suburban and miss it. I am looking for another. I need the additional seating or I would recommend you sell the Tahoe, ...cheap,........ to me :)

Will either vehicle ever be driven off pavement? If yes, keep the 80. If not keep the Chevy.

Depends on what you want. I think the land cruiser drive great but they're definitely sluggish with heavy steering. Even that ear Tahoe and Silverado has a nice power assisted steer.

If you want the off road capability an, 80 offers then it's really second to none in that department. If it's a pavement pounder, then the Tahoe may be a Better daily choice.

Tough to say... But your 80 has locking Diggs. I say you keep the 80 and make it into a crawler. Keep it nice though so you can resell it. In other words, don't chop up a beautiful 80

I sold my 98 2-door Tahoe in late 2012 after owning it for more than 10 years and immediately picked up a 3x locked 93 80 series. I had also had a 96 2-door for 3 years before the 98. I loved my Tahoe. But in the end I needed the extra doors and wanted the lockers.

One thing you didn't mention - what will you be using the one you keep for?

Absent that, here were my thoughts when comparing them when I made my change. Mostly repeats what you have already said, but a couple differences. The decision makers for me are in bold.
  • Doors - 80 - Four doors! But there is actually less foot/leg space in the 80 than in the Tahoe once you are in.
  • Storage - About the same, the overall length of flat surface with the seats folded is within a couple inches of each other. With the spare out of the rear of the Tahoe I don't think the 80 wins this.
  • Engine Mods - Tie? I don't know much about the 6.5L, I had the 5.7L gas engine - there isn't a much more universal engine than a small block Chevy.
  • Other Mods/aftermarket - 80. No comparison.
  • Power - Tahoe by far. Better towing capacity too.
  • Engine Reliability - (At least with the 5.7L) About a tie. With proper maintenance the Chevy motor can go nearly forever too.
  • Other Reliability/Quality - 80
  • Turn radius, wheelbase, track width, approach/departure angles - all a tie. The 2-door Tahoe and the 80 series are within 2 inches of each other in all these things. The departure angle of the 80 is much less than the Tahoe if you have the tow hitch installed (it hangs very low). If it wasn't for the lockers they would both behave about the same off road. The Tahoe IFS was fine in my experience as long as you are doing fairly mild trails.
  • Lockers - 80. The 80 has them, but do you need them? The Tahoe may have a LS rear already, I think most did.
  • Tire Sizes - The 80 can fit 33" tires with no lift/mods, 35s with 2.5" lift (springs/shocks). The Tahoe probably needs a body lift or torsion crank to fit 33s (which is easy, but isn't great on the suspension) and a 6" full suspension lift for 35s.
  • Cost - My (gas) Tahoe was cheaper to maintain; I'm not sure what the costs of the diesel are, but the 80 isn't a cheap vehicle for maintenance.
For me it came down to (1) 4 doors vs 2, (2) ability to put 33's on w/o any other mods, allowing me to step into it with no added costs when my current tires wear out. If my Tahoe had already been modified, I would probably have stuck it out and just kept making my girls crawl into the back. But since I hadn't modified it at all, the ability to just put on 33s without doing anything and having factory e-lockers was huge. Not that I don't miss the extra power.

Also, you might look into moving your tire carrier over to the 80. If you can do that easily I would definitely try to keep it if you sell the Tahoe.

I really can't put a vote in as I am partial to both BUT I can say this, whichever you get rid of you will regret.
QFT

One thing you didn't mention - what will you be using the one you keep for?

Guys, (especially Dazrin)

Thank you so much for all the thoughtful and excellent responses!

I am planning to make the rig (likely the 80) the daily driver. It will be taking me to work, ferrying the family about town, and here in the Pacific NW, doing that very often in cold, wet, rainy weather, and occasionally in snow and ice. It will spend 95% of its time as a pavement queen. I do plan to turn it into a semi-built vehicle (similar to what I have done to the Tahoe), so that when the itch arises, I can go off-road and take photos of the beautiful Oregon and Washington scenery. In these cases, the 80 would win, hands down.

I like that fact that I can go most places with the 80 in stock form.

I picked up the 80 because of the 4 doors, the full-time 4WD, and the 3x lockers. I love the fact that the 80 is a very capable freeway rig, great around-town rig, and unbeatable off-road rig. I love the high build and design quality (I say design quality, because having worked on the Tahoe for 10 years... there have been plenty of times I have said "WHO designed this? Are they insane?"... it happens on Toyota vehicles as well, but a lot less frequently).

I suppose it comes down to fun factor. I love having my Tahoe lifted, and having done all the performance mods to it, it is QUITE a bit faster and "Torquier" than the 80. The Tahoe just puts a smile on my face when I drive it. I know it has lower build and design quality, but it is a fun rig. I suppose I will miss that if I sell the Tahoe. The 80, by comparison, is eerily quiet (because the Tahoe's diesel engine makes a lot of noise and vibration as it generates its 400++ lb-ft of torque!) and smooth and seems a lot more refined.

Hmm.

Thanks again.

Muddy1

In slippery conditions, AWDs are sweet.

You prolly should consider what each is worth. Your built up Tahoe may yield enough to do a similar build on the 80.

have you checked into an RV/vehicle storage lot ? it's where we keep the vehicles that don't fit into the garage - enclosed, or even just covered spaces can typically be had for under $100/month

granted, it's "kicking the can down the road", if the "problem" really is garage space - more often I see truck sales due to ongoing marital arguments about finances, preferred weekend activities, wrenching time away from the family, beer consumption, and those sorts of reasons that have nothing to do with parking space, really

I don't off road my truck and it's stock other than replacement wear and tear parts. I also have a 2014 GS350 and could certainly sell my LX and get something newer and more practical just for the winter driving, driving to work or whenever I need something with cargo space. That being said I don't do it because my LX will never get old, I say that because it's a rare vehicle so nobody looks at it and says "oh thats some old tricked out chevy", they look at it and either know about 80's so they're happy to see it (rare), or they just wonder why they don't know what kind of truck it is. What would I replace it with? Lease a cheap SUV and everyone has the same one plus I have to watch the miles, sell it and buy something comparable with the money I'm going to end up with either old junk I know nothing about or something outdated that everyone has.

Everyone already talked about the reliability, specs and capabilities so I figured I would give you a different angle on it.....

For me the chevy is just that, an old chevy that everyone and their mom has seen before and you could buy one not souped up for a couple thousand bucks, no offense I know you love your truck and it is VERY nice to me I'm just trying to be objective. The cruiser not so much, otherwise I would have sold it a long time ago and got something cheaper to maintain and better on gas since I don't use it as a toy.

Everyone already talked about the reliability, specs and capabilities so I figured I would give you a different angle on it.....

For me the chevy is just that, an old chevy that everyone and their mom has seen before and you could buy one not souped up for a couple thousand bucks, no offense I know you love your truck and it is VERY nice to me I'm just trying to be objective. The cruiser not so much, otherwise I would have sold it a long time ago and got something cheaper to maintain and better on gas since I don't use it as a toy.
I would agree with that if he didn't have a 2-door. The body style he has is the last 2-door, full size SUV and hasn't been in production for 15+ years. They were also MUCH less common than the 4-door versions to start with. He now has 2 eye catching vehicles. If it was a 1997-1999 it would be even harder for me to want to give it up, there were a couple interior and drive train upgrades between 95-96 and 96-97 that were nice to have in my 98.

This probably doesn't apply to your 95 (I think they added it in 97) so I didn't mention this before, but the full-time 4WD was actually a downside to the 80 for me - I had the Chevy AutoTrac in my Tahoe, so could engage a full-time mode when needed or could leave it in 2WD when not needed (or when playing.) I really miss being able to turn off 4WD and play in 2WD in the snow/ice when I want to. (I am also in the Pacific NW so I understand the weather here too.)

Transplant the 6.5 turbo diesel into the 80.;)
Honestly though I think I would be keeping the 80, finish base lining everything & making a few changes to suit your needs/wants.(turbo everyone needs a turbo :D) or maybe a part time conversion kit..mine is a factory part time being a DX model & I like the fact I can lock hubs when I want to or just run in 2wd most of the time.

I would agree with that if he didn't have a 2-door. The body style he has is the last 2-door, full size SUV and hasn't been in production for 15+ years. They were also MUCH less common than the 4-door versions to start with. He now has 2 eye catching vehicles. If it was a 1997-1999 it would be even harder for me to want to give it up, there were a couple interior and drive train upgrades between 95-96 and 96-97 that were nice to have in my 98.

This probably doesn't apply to your 95 (I think they added it in 97) so I didn't mention this before, but the full-time 4WD was actually a downside to the 80 for me - I had the Chevy AutoTrac in my Tahoe, so could engage a full-time mode when needed or could leave it in 2WD when not needed (or when playing.) I really miss being able to turn off 4WD and play in 2WD in the snow/ice when I want to. (I am also in the Pacific NW so I understand the weather here too.)

Sure but how many people look at it and think that? One out of a thousand or is it one out of a million? To me and you and it's an awesome truck but to 99.9% of the population it's just an out of date chevy which has been replaced by 50 other newer models. You can't say that about the cruiser, it being so rare makes it impervious to being out of date in my opinion. I think both of them have timeless looks but the chevy being so easily compared to any other model by the common eye kinda negates that.

Sure but how many people look at it and think that? One out of a thousand or is it one out of a million? To me and you and it's an awesome truck but to 99.9% of the population it's just an out of date chevy which has been replaced by 50 other newer models. You can't say that about the cruiser, it being so rare makes it impervious to being out of date in my opinion. I think both of them have timeless looks but the chevy being so easily compared to any other model by the common eye kinda negates that.
That is a good point. Based on my reading, only a few percent of GM SUVs were 2-Door Tahoes, and of those, less than 1% (I think it was 1/10 of 1%) were DIESEL Tahoes. That's because GM didn't produce Diesel Tahoes on regular production runs. They built them to factory order... AND it was a $5000-6000 option. So, that makes this rig extremely rare. However, Francis K makes a true point. Most people don't know, and they don't care. They just see it as an old truck that someone souped up.

That said, I STILL get thumbs-up from high school kids and others... Everyone seems to love the Tahoe.

I am guessing that the Tahoe just might be worth about the same as the 3x Locked 1997 FZJ80, but since I have no basis of comparison (for the Tahoe), it's anyone's guess.

Still thinkin'....

Muddy1

Dazrin is right. The 95 had a floor-lever shift for the part-time 4WD, and no electronic shift (actually the floor shift is considered more reliable, but slower to engage). The so-called "AutoTrac" was a mode where if the OBD2 processor noticed difference in wheel speed from front and back axles, it would engage 4WD automatically. The Tahoe does have a LSD rear axle. The 95 Tahoe was the last one with OBD1, so it's actually even easier and less expensive to modify the programming than the 96, and scanning software is really inexpensive. The block design on the 1995 Diesel Tahoe was also a bit more rugged, before GM redesigned the block with oil squirters and actually weakened the block (sigh).

The 6.5 diesel is considered by many to be a bit of a bastard child of the diesels. GM got such a bad reputation with the Oldsmobile Diesels from the 80s, and they continue to stumble with the 6.2 diesel (not enough power!) and the 6.5 diesel (teething pains with the electronics mostly... these have been solved with aftermarket solutions... hence some of the FSD and OPS mods I mention in the OP) that they finally gave up and sourced the Duramax from Isuzu (that's a pretty good engine!).

Anyway, I have spent a decade learning the various GM foibles of the 6.5 and the Tahoe, and have corrected nearly all of them (Sorry, I can't fix the STUPID design of the HVAC system), so some of the hesitation is just silly sentimentalism regarding something I've worked so long on.

Muddy1

Drive them both for a little while Muddy, seems like it comes down to what your heart wants and you'll figure that out in time! There is no wrong decision regarding which to keep!

Also, you might look into moving your tire carrier over to the 80. If you can do that easily I would definitely try to keep it if you sell the Tahoe.

The custom tire carrier I have actually attaches to the 2" receiver, so yes, it's quite easy to move it over. Thanks for the reminder, though.

Muddy1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom