Where would you move in Montana? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am on my perpetual search for where to call home. Some areas are simply to expensive. You guys know the spots. Right now i am in Helena and actually really like it. Good winter weather, not much wind, nice mountains and lakes around, big enough town but smaller than Bozeman. Almost affordable but i wish it was just a little cheaper.

Starting to think outside the box. Going to checkout some strange towns like Anaconda and even Lewistown. I dont know if Anaconda has a trashy vibe, i havent been there yet. A little concerned about it being a superfund sight. But i like its location to mountains. Lewistown looks kind of nice but I cant tell what access i have to nice mountains and rivers upthere. Or how bad the wind is in the winter.

What towns or areas have you guys been interested?

PS. I know you Bozeman guys would think Helena is dirt cheap. And compaired to Bozeman it is. But I am a cheap ass and wish it was 20-30% less. Maybe that is impossible but i figure it is worth looking around.

Bitterroot has nice weather year round, cost of living is just like everywhere else, too high.

Lots of cruisers over here. The real estate market is stupid.

Personally if I left here I'd probably look up towards the Yaak area, maybe just south of there. Maybe Twin Bridges-Dillion, the whole Beaverhead Valley is cool IMO.

20 years ago I would have said Ennis.

Next stop will probably be retirement in Oklahoma.

Bitterroot has nice weather year round, cost of living is just like everywhere else, too high.

Lots of cruisers over here. The real estate market is stupid.

Personally if I left here I'd probably look up towards the Yaak area, maybe just south of there. Maybe Twin Bridges-Dillion, the whole Beaverhead Valley is cool IMO.

20 years ago I would have said Ennis.

Next stop will probably be retirement in Oklahoma.
I am near twin bridges now. Nice area for sure.

I like the west side of the Tobacco Roots... Dillion, Twin Bridges etc.

I thought Lewistown was rad when I went through. The Little Rockies, Judith Mountains are awesome. Feels like its 20 years behind the rest of the USA, but I have never lived there. I really enjoyed the town.

Outside your request, but I dig Cody, WY as well.

If my work didn't require a college town I would go full Uni-bomber and work towards living as off grid as possible (minus the bomber stuff). I am sure it sounds more romantic than it actually is but a large self sufficient A-frame in the woods with a large shop/garage full of cruisers in various states of disrepair sounds amazing to me.

Depends on what you like. Anaconda is pretty exposed IE : sunny , windy , etc. but the surrounding area is beautiful.

This entire state and surrounding areas is full of hidden gems. Find the area with the smallest population that has jobs that can support your lifestyle...

ill likely always have my place in Bozeman, but I know ill end up in the Cascade area. That's where my parents live on a ranch. Fairly centrally located open space. Also live about five miles down the road from a nuke silo... so there's that. And its windy. but the views of the sunsets are epic.

I've always wondered about Boulder MT. middle of hills near Helena and not to far.

Some really pretty spots near St. Regis / Thompson Falls if you've never been that direction. "Cheap" is relative. I'd be happy in a small house, but I'd want big acreage. Balance is the hard part.

I like Belgrade, but it is expensive. If I could work 100% remote I might consider Sturgis, SD (hope to spend some more time there with my friend who lives there) or probably move up to Lewistown area. I think in Lewistown you are close enough to get to stores, but far enough away that you can enjoy the hills without a ton of traffic.

We drove through Phillipsburg, Anaconda and Butte today. Sorry if i offend anyone but Butte is kind of a dump. I did see some nice areas i would live in but overall it didnt do it for me. Anaconda was a possibility. Not as bad as thought it would be. I dont think i could live in one of the super tiny houses that they have. I can do a small space but dont know if i can handle being that close to my neighbor.

Kind of pushed me back to Helena. I need to get pre approved next. I am in no rush. i dont care if it takes 6 months or a year. pretty casual about it all. I would really like to find something that has a garage, a little bit of a space from my neighbor, even 1/4 acre and needs interior remodel and some work to keep the price down. Every few months I see something close to my requirements under 300. But usually, they are closer to 400. I know that is cheap for Bozeman standards but i would like to minimize the loan and pay it off in about 5 years. I am a cheap bastard.

We drove through Phillipsburg, Anaconda and Butte today. Sorry if i offend anyone but Butte is kind of a dump. I did see some nice areas i would live in but overall it didnt do it for me. Anaconda was a possibility. Not as bad as thought it would be. I dont think i could live in one of the super tiny houses that they have. I can do a small space but dont know if i can handle being that close to my neighbor.

Kind of pushed me back to Helena. I need to get pre approved next. I am in no rush. i dont care if it takes 6 months or a year. pretty casual about it all. I would really like to find something that has a garage, a little bit of a space from my neighbor, even 1/4 acre and needs interior remodel and some work to keep the price down. Every few months I see something close to my requirements under 300. But usually, they are closer to 400. I know that is cheap for Bozeman standards but i would like to minimize the loan and pay it off in about 5 years. I am a cheap bastard.
Explore Butte Highlands. I posted a pic of my friend’s Raptor in the “What have you been doing with your Toyota?” Thread. We explored around some of the old mines, and found a couple of trails. Anyway, in that pic we were driving away from the cabins and found a scenic double track that climbs up with a couple creek crossings. That might change your mind about Butte being dumpy. There are parts for sure, but I see that town as maybe being a bit of a sleeper right now. Although.... you will have to deal with the evel knevel days each summer.

Last edited:
@rc51kid I have a close friend who moved from Bozeman to Helena, bought a home, and has been really happy there. He's an active guy who loves to bike, off-road and camp. If you like bike trails, a smaller town vibe and active community, it's a great spot. We have family in Lewistown and it's a good spot, but has a much more segmented community and less developed trail access for biking, hiking BUT there's a ton of less developed and less busy trailheads all around the Little Belts, Judiths, Snowy's, Missouri breaks, etc.

I'm not a big fan of Anaconda and I wouldn't be thrilled to drink the water. Phillipsburg is cool and I'd consider Hamilton as well. For us, we strongly rate activity access, community and then price in that order. If a place has strong access & community, it's probably a good place to invest in a home so long as it's attainable. I think Helena is a great call if you choose to stay there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom