Where to place the hood rod? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It seems like there are some stoppers on the rod but I have never manage to find out which hole to rest it in.
14935546702511293910874.jpg

Here's a few other location folks with split hoods have posted

Photo courtesy of @Landpimp
View attachment 1450706

From other threads
View attachment 1450704 View attachment 1450705

Personally if I'm anything more then check the fluids I rest the hood against the top/ windshield. Not sure the trays they were used but picked up a few of the rubber pads that fit the drip rail to rest the hood on. Also don't trust the hood either way when it's windy. No struts that hood is heavy if it hits you on the head.

Yeah, I remember @Weber Sarge also cautioned that a hoods resting against the lid cushion have been known to catch a breeze and the backs of skulls. Not sure if that happened to him but I don't doubt it could happen.

Believe at least one person has done a double strut, one on each side. Problem with hood rod it's too short to be useful. Hood all the way open is more likely to catch a breeze. But with breeze coming from the front it can lift it just enough to dislodge the rod and can still come crashing down.

Check the top of your valve cover, my 76 2f in my 69 has a litle "cup" type dealie that bolts on behind the oil fill hole. I usually dont use it and just place the rod in a convenient little spot between the alternator and alt bracket (my alt has been relocated to the ps side of the motor using fj60 alt brackets).

D

Check the top of your valve cover, my 76 2f in my 69 has a litle "cup" type dealie that bolts on behind the oil fill hole. I usually dont use it and just place the rod in a convenient little spot between the alternator and alt bracket (my alt has been relocated to the ps side of the motor using fj60 alt brackets).

D

Issue is the 2F came out three years after the two piece hood was replaced by the one piece hood and those the rod at the side not the center. If your using the North American market 2F air cleaner probably bent the caught for the rod to clear the air cleaner.

Ill snap a picture of mine in a bit, lots of previous owners so who knows what got repurposed from where.

D

I welded a piece of steel tube to the end of my hood rod (1/2" ish ID?) and now can set the rod over the first or second valve cover acorn nut. Works pretty well and holds the hood a bit more open than it does with it in the hole in the bib. I'd post a picture but my engine is out at the moment.

not useful information to many but my split hood prop goes in a little cup that screws into a spare threaded hole in the top of the 3fe thermostat housing. When I was looking through pictures a while back of what others did with this, I noticed that it appears some of the split hood prop rod attachment to the hood was closer to the front than others. Mine is one that is not closer to the front and there is no way it would go in a hole in the top of the bib. The first two pics are my setup, the other two are the different versions of hood I saw - or just an optical illusion?

IMG_1482.JPG
IMG_1486.JPG

split hood 2.jpg
split hood 5.jpg

Also, a minor detail is that the rod goes into the hood hole from the driver side with the cotter pin on the passenger side in order for the whole thing to work nicely, like shown on the blue hood above. I turned mine around after figuring this out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom