When are you ready for primer?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
All:
I am working on the fresh air cowl. Should I be trying to get all the rust completely removed before applying primer? The rust has created pox marks in the metal, not sure I can completely remove them.

Craig

20200904_175154.jpg

20200904_175206.jpg

What are you using? Looks like regular sandpaper and your hand. I'd suggest moving up to flap disk on a grinder or scotch bright pad on a grinder - either will get that shiny. If there are spots you get to because the are too pitted, a little POR 15 under the paint will help

Guys: Good morning. I have been using 80 grit emery paper and a brass wire wheel on my drill.

Craig

The wire wheel on the drill is hard to make work. I find the tools I use the most is my Dewalt battery grinder and my Milkshake corded grinder, but various abrasive disks.

Try dipping stuff that is pitted. Trying to dig into those little holes is mind numbing. there are all kinds of methods using varying diluted acids. Vinegar, molasses, muriatic acid. Lots of options. Much easier for parts like that. Make sure to neutralize when done.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom