Wheel / Tire suggestions - factory LC 200 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I did it... I traded in my Tacoma on a new LC! Way way more than I envisioned spending but with the tax credit and need for something to tow my airstream I justified it! I can’t stand how “city” it looks so I’m researching rims and tires. I’ve narrowed in on the method 305’s in matte black sized 18X9 with a positive 25 offset. I’m considering the nitto ridge grapplers in a 285x65x18

I don’t plan on using the LC for a ton of off-roading, but some light. It will mainly be our tow vehicle.
Questions:
- what’s the biggest tire I can mount on this rim without having to worry about rubbing.
- nitto vs. k02 vs. toyo a/t3

Does anyone have a 200 series with this setup?

I’ve also ordered a roof rack and removed the side steps and I’m having the chrome door trim “wrapped” in matte black. I would love a front bumper if anyone knows one they won’t interfere with all of the Toyota safety stuff! Any other mod recommendations greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Curious what "tax credit" you are referencing. Is it just that you made it a company car or recently received a tax refund from the IRS?

I figured since you were considering 19" wheels why not look at some 20's. I picked up a set of (5) to cover my spare too. I really like the way the fill out the fender and give this truck the right amount of offset. I run a 285/55R20 BFG but I could have probably gone 285/60R20 to give me a little more side wall. I wanted the TRD PRO wheel that come on the Tundra and now HE but couldn't justify the price at the time. I didn't want to run spacers to give it the aggressive look I was going for.

IMG_6247.jpg

IMG_7904.jpg

If I was going to change wheel sizes, I would go in the other direction and get 17” wheels.

Congrats on the truck.. if you haven't seen it already there is an OEM 10mm strut spacer you can install easily that will lift the front of the vehicle just under an inch. Helps a bit with clearance on trails and looks a little less highlander-esque.

Beyond that you mention 19" rims but 285/65/18 which is a common upgrade size.. 18s or 19s? I'm very happy with my 285/70/17 setup, slightly bigger than the tire size you mentioned. Probably the only thing I'd change is raised white lettering but it wasn't an option on this tire. Note this includes the above strut spacer, and pretty worn street-oriented AT tires, but it gets the size across.

IMG_0424.jpg

Congrats on the truck.. if you haven't seen it already there is an OEM 10mm strut spacer you can install easily that will lift the front of the vehicle just under an inch. Helps a bit with clearance on trails and looks a little less highlander-esque.

Beyond that you mention 19" rims but 285/65/18 which is a common upgrade size.. 18s or 19s? I'm very happy with my 285/70/17 setup, slightly bigger than the tire size you mentioned. Probably the only thing I'd change is raised white lettering but it wasn't an option on this tire. Note this includes the above strut spacer, and pretty worn street-oriented AT tires, but it gets the size across.

View attachment 2376274
Sorry, my bad with the typo. I was considering 18X9 methods. Method also suggested going to the 17’s to get the look I’m going for. I’ll research the 10mm strut spacer. With the 10mm spacer and the 285x70x17 you don’t rub the fender, right? Thanks again for the advice. I’ll edit the original post now.
Here’s what the stock LC looks like now.

EF5A3DC9-2772-46BE-A794-A4A4D27555FE.jpeg

I figured since you were considering 19" wheels why not look at some 20's. I picked up a set of (5) to cover my spare too. I really like the way the fill out the fender and give this truck the right amount of offset. I run a 285/55R20 BFG but I could have probably gone 285/60R20 to give me a little more side wall. I wanted the TRD PRO wheel that come on the Tundra and now HE but couldn't justify the price at the time. I didn't want to run spacers to give it the aggressive look I was going for.

View attachment 2375818

View attachment 2375820
Thanks! Your LC looks great!

Sorry, my bad with the typo. I was considering 18X9 methods. Method also suggested going to the 17’s to get the look I’m going for. I’ll research the 10mm strut spacer. With the 10mm spacer and the 285x70x17 you don’t rub the fender, right? Thanks again for the advice. I’ll edit the original post now.

View attachment 2376540

additionally, what is the offset of your rims?

Thanks! Great look! These are 285x70x70’s?
Yes they are. Main reason I went with BFG is because they were take offs with zero miles. Tundra owner decided he wanted bigger! This size you can rest assure won’t ever rub even with a stock suspension.
Good luck

Last edited:

View attachment 2376540

Looking good!!!

Per @bloc , I'd also recommend the front suspension spacer for a tad of lift. Just know as you're towing, you'll want to pair it with a slight lift in the rear also. Otherwise, the car will take on a not so appealing squat when loaded or towing. Pairing a 10 or 20mm spring spacer lift in the rear should set you up nicely.

Last edited:

View attachment 2376540

I got VERY light rub on one side at full lock, reverse, with some articulation. So light that with 10k on the tires it stopped. But, my toyos are taller than KO2s, many people running those don’t rub as they are usually on the smaller diameter side for a given tire “size” in general. Also note that if you go 285/70/17 KO2s they are available in a C and E load. C would be lighter and more compliant and as a result give better ride qualities, but some people opt for the more robust e-load. Frankly the vast difference between LT-E and the stock P-metrics on factory suspension is a large part of why I went with the tires I did, so don’t assume the difference won’t be noticeable.
Looking good!!!

Per @bloc , I'd also recommend the front suspension spacer for a tad of lift. Just know as you're towing, you'll want to pair it with a slight lift in the rear also. Otherwise, the car will take on a not so appealing squat when loaded or towing. Paring a 10 or 20mm spring spacer lift in the rear should set you up nicely.

Teckis is on point. I’d consider airbags, to take it a little further. Unloaded stance with the front spacer and factory rear is great, but the ability to add some stiffness to the rear springs on demand is awesome. Without, on top of it squatting in the rear you may be kissing the very large very soft (but progressive) bump stops. It isn’t dramatic but if you pay attention you’ll notice it.

Just remembered one very important detail if you go with 17s. Your new truck has large front brakes and they won’t fit into most 17s. To further complicate it, your 2020 had the updated brakes from 2016 on so what fit on a 2008 might not work for yours. The model many of us run are the forged TRD “Rock Warrior” designed to fit tundras which have similar bigger brakes to yours.

If you go with other 17s make sure they will clear your 2016+ brakes. I seem to remember some of icon’s models clearing but I’m not sure on that.

Just remembered one very important detail if you go with 17s. Your new truck has large front brakes and they won’t fit into most 17s. To further complicate it, your 2020 had the updated brakes from 2016 on so what fit on a 2008 might not work for yours. The model many of us run are the forged TRD “Rock Warrior” designed to fit tundras which have similar bigger brakes to yours.

If you go with other 17s make sure they will clear your 2016+ brakes. I seem to remember some of icon’s models clearing but I’m not sure on that.
Thanks! I was concerned about the brakes fitting. They are snug with the factory 18’s.

FYI I have BBS for sale.

Tires I stayed with factory tire size and wheels and run toyo r/t.

I tow my smaller boat, camper, uhauls at times, and military trailer.

Almost all of the bumpers keep all the safety and allow for a winch.

The nice tucked in bumper is the rhino bumper, though it's pricey.

I have an ARB Sahara with the brush guard, as I wanted the radiator guarded from deer and stuff. It sticks out a little.

I also put a rear bumper to carry the spare tire. This then allowed to a 2nd fuel tank.

So I did it... I traded in my Tacoma on a new LC! Way way more than I envisioned spending but with the tax credit and need for something to tow my airstream I justified it! I can’t stand how “city” it looks so I’m researching rims and tires. I’ve narrowed in on the method 305’s in matte black sized 18X9 with a positive 25 offset. I’m considering the nitto ridge grapplers in a 285x65x18

I don’t plan on using the LC for a ton of off-roading, but some light. It will mainly be our tow vehicle.
Questions:
- what’s the biggest tire I can mount on this rim without having to worry about rubbing.
- nitto vs. k02 vs. toyo a/t3

Does anyone have a 200 series with this setup?

I’ve also ordered a roof rack and removed the side steps and I’m having the chrome door trim “wrapped” in matte black. I would love a front bumper if anyone knows one they won’t interfere with all of the Toyota safety stuff! Any other mod recommendations greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
I just replaced the wheels/tires on my ‘17 LC. I didn’t go the off-road route. I went 20” for mostly city driving. Maybe I’ll tow a camper in the future. Good luck in your quest!

91E23876-CD02-4B93-A6F2-E582A7092447.jpeg

View attachment 2376540
I like your "adventure" rig chslc200. Very cool!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom