Wheel Offset (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Guu

Threads
Hello, i have a 1985 FJ73 the mid wheel base with lead springs all around.

Some nice second hand wheels have come available but the they are a 16x8 with negative 20 offset.

Will these still be okay on my cruiser?

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong here...

I believe that 16x8" wheel with -20 offset would equal something like 3.6" backspace based on a random chart I just looked at. 70 series stock wheels are usually 3.5" backspace if I am not mistaken. 3.75" will fit but be tucked in a little. 3.25" will fit and be pushed out wider.

Backspace is a better measurement than offset to see if something will fit because that measures how much wheel there is from the mounting point to the inside of the wheel. So that determines if it will rub on any components in there.

Such a hard thing to explain in type but hopefully that makes some sense.

edited to add chart I looked at....

backspacing-chart2.gif

Thank you.

So these should fit okay but will narrow the track ever so slightly rather that have the wheels sticking out past the guards??

I run 4" BS on my BJ74, no issues. You will be fine with 16x8 with 3.75" BS.

Backspace greater than 3.5 inches will produce "brushing" of the inner rear tire sidewalls against the inner wheel housings when the axle articulates. The amount of contact depends on tire size.

I had 16x8 wheels with 3 5/8 inches of back space and 285/75/16 tires. There was noticeable contact. I changed the backspace to 3.0 inches, problem solved.

I never have been able to wrap my head around "offset", it is a moving target and you need all the wheel dimensions to figure out what you have. Backspace is a more clear cut definitive measurement in my view.

I used to have 15" aftermarket wheels with backspacers (don't recall what the inches were as the previous owner put them on there) and had the issue that cruiserdan is talking about with the inner portion of the rear tires slightly rubbing when I went over bumps. It was really annoying and ended up getting the OEM 16" silver steel wheels without the use of backspacers which solved the problem.

I used to have 15" aftermarket wheels with backspacers (don't recall what the inches were as the previous owner put them on there) and had the issue that cruiserdan is talking about with the inner portion of the rear tires slightly rubbing when I went over bumps. It was really annoying and ended up getting the OEM 16" silver steel wheels without the use of backspacers which solved the problem.
The "Backspace" we are talking about is a term used to measure a certain section of the actual wheel. You are talking about spacers you add on to push the wheel out further when clearance or a different stance is desired.

I called them backspacers because I don't know what they are officially called.

Anyways, here is a scan from one of my books at work that might help others.

offset%20math_zpsvj7akhnq.png

Last edited:
Thank you for clearing it up. I didn't mean to cause confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom