What year to build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve got several fj40s (71,73,79,79,82) that I worked with 20years ago before I had adequate skills and finances. The one I chose to build off back then was a 73 and now I’ve taken it apart and had it blasted to start over. The body is useable but there’s a lot wrong with it that it will have to be repaired. This got me looking at aftermarket tubs that look very nice and I’m thinking about getting one. If I go down that route I’ve got 3 post 79 cruisers that are pretty much just frames and axles from one. It seems like going to the fuel tank outside the cab would be a better choice.
I had the 73 assembled so I have all the parts for it. I’ll have to use the running gear from the 73 on the newer body and frame if I go that way.
On the 73 is a post 75 disc front axle, pto winch, 3 speed but I’m converting to a 4 speed, f engine that I rebuilt 20 years ago with a new oil pump from Toyota

I already had the 4 speed but back when I built the 73 the 4speed pto gear was nowhere to be found. Now with internet the parts that were rare are easy to find.

I’d like opinions from experts on if I should build as a pre or post 79 configuration.

Welcome to the forum. Post some pictures as soon as you can. That always helps stir interest.
What part of NC you from?

Central NC
Attached are photos of the 73. It came out of Utah and a previous owner didn’t mind drilling holes in it. I’ve welded up over 140 at this point. I didn’t know how to weld when I did it initially so the holes were just filled with bondo with the back open….anybody knows you don’t do that but not a 18 year old doing it for the first time. Some of the larger holes were fiberglassed. I parked it not long after finishing it and it just bothered me that I didn’t build it correctly so I’m taking another try at it
IMG_0495.jpeg
IMG_0496.jpeg
IMG_0497.jpeg
IMG_0499.jpeg
IMG_0500.jpeg

I’ve got several fj40s (71,73,79,79,82) that I worked with 20years ago before I had adequate skills and finances. The one I chose to build off back then was a 73 and now I’ve taken it apart and had it blasted to start over. The body is useable but there’s a lot wrong with it that it will have to be repaired. This got me looking at aftermarket tubs that look very nice and I’m thinking about getting one. If I go down that route I’ve got 3 post 79 cruisers that are pretty much just frames and axles from one. It seems like going to the fuel tank outside the cab would be a better choice.
I had the 73 assembled so I have all the parts for it. I’ll have to use the running gear from the 73 on the newer body and frame if I go that way.
On the 73 is a post 75 disc front axle, pto winch, 3 speed but I’m converting to a 4 speed, f engine that I rebuilt 20 years ago with a new oil pump from Toyota

I already had the 4 speed but back when I built the 73 the 4speed pto gear was nowhere to be found. Now with internet the parts that were rare are easy to find.

I’d like opinions from experts on if I should build as a pre or post 79 configuration.
From the photos I don't see anything that would keep me from using the 73 body. You have a nice platform to build on! I wish I had the pto set up on mine when I bought it. I am also partial to the lighting set up on the older rigs(markers and tail lights).

From the photos I don't see anything that would keep me from using the 73 body. You have a nice platform to build on! I wish I had the pto set up on mine when I bought it. I am also partial to the lighting set up on the older rigs(markers and tail lights).
The body is in fairly good shape. The only thing making me consider a replacement body is the time it will take me to finish all the patching. I’ve already ordered some patch panels from real steel cruisers and they look good. If I do stay with the 73 model I’m going to use the proper early turn signals. When I built it initially I thought the later style lights looked better. I need to go ahead and buy the lights. Last week I was going to buy the oem fenders and everywhere that sold them says they’ve been discontinued. They were available a year ago.
The pto winch is one of the reasons I have this one. I got the 71 and 73 with the winch and both loaded full of parts for $2500. In its future life it’s probably only going to be a hood ornament. I doubt I’ll ever take it off the road.

Have you dated the VIN stamped into that frame? Guessing it's a no later than 9/72. 9/72-9/73 is a one year only frame. Torque tube behind the transfer case changed 9/72 to accommodate the four speed in some markets. 9/73 the rear frame member changed for the rectangle shaped head lights. I have a H42 four speed in my 68. It's a very tight fit. 9/72 the torque tube changed to this shape.
IMG_20190610_091829413.jpg

It arches up where the hand brake is giving clearance. In my 68 the hand brake drum only has a small fraction of a inch clearance. Installed the H42 in the spring of 1994. Later that year I bought a 73 FST. If I had the 73 before hand it would have gotten a four speed back then. Depending on what kind up tub you have for 82 frame but I originally planned on installing a H55F five speed in a 79. But now the a 82 frame and tub I have would be a better option because of the transmission style crossmember.

Have you dated the VIN stamped into that frame? Guessing it's a no later than 9/72. 9/72-9/73 is a one year only frame. Torque tube behind the transfer case changed 9/72 to accommodate the four speed in some markets. 9/73 the rear frame member changed for the rectangle shaped head lights. I have a H42 four speed in my 68. It's a very tight fit. 9/72 the torque tube changed to this shape.
View attachment 3443442
It arches up where the hand brake is giving clearance. In my 68 the hand brake drum only has a small fraction of an inch clearance. Installed the H42 in the spring of 1994. Later that year I bought a 73 FST. If I had the 73 before hand it would have gotten a four speed back then. Depending on what kind up tub you have for 82 frame but I originally planned on installing a H55F five speed in a 79. But now the a 82 frame and tub I have would be a better option because of the transmission style crossmember.
I didn’t know of the difference. I haven’t ever checked the frame vin. My body tag says Nov 72. The winch covers the vin on the frame. I will be taking it off this time so I’ll be able to see if they match. The 71 I have I suspect is on a later frame. It has the later square style brake light mounts on the frame. I do need the 4 speed. The unsynchronized 1st on the 3 was a problem before because the larger tires. Often I’d need to get back in first while rolling.

I didn’t know of the difference. I haven’t ever checked the frame vin. My body tag says Nov 72. The winch covers the vin on the frame. I will be taking it off this time so I’ll be able to see if they match. The 71 I have I suspect is on a later frame. It has the later square style brake light mounts on the frame. I do need the 4 speed. The unsynchronized 1st on the 3 was a problem before because the larger tires. Often I’d need to get back in first while rolling.

The radio opening on the tub started 9/72 so the 11/72 is probably correct. The transmission tunnel changed 9/73 for the four speed so your good there. Replacement transmission tunnel covers are now available for the 9/72-1/79 with a four speed. In 1994 I cut down a later transmission cover from either 75/76 for the conversion. Had to get creative for some clearance at the back. Frame is stock but very close. No way could the clutch be replaced with either dropping the back of the power train (this how I installed it) or pulling the engine/transmission/transfer case together. If I had the variety of cruisers almost thirty years ago I have today I would not have used my 68 for a four speed. Five speed would be a 1/79. With a 8/80 being preferred because of the crossmember under the transmission to support a five speed and PTO.

Another thing you might want to check out since you have a number of cruiser frames is the actual location of the torque tube behind the transfer case. Researched this a little years ago on a couple of complete cruisers I had. Was hard to do the way they were stored. Believe besides the different shape the torque was a little further back from 9/72. This would also help with a four speed. Can't remember how long ago I bought the torque tube I pictured but the intent was use it in my 68. If I was a welder probably already have it in.

Another thing you might want to check out since you have a number of cruiser frames is the actual location of the torque tube behind the transfer case. Researched this a little years ago on a couple of complete cruisers I had. Was hard to do the way they were stored. Believe besides the different shape the torque was a little further back from 9/72. This would also help with a four speed. Can't remember how long ago I bought the torque tube I pictured but the intent was use it in my 68. If I was a welder probably already have it in.
I’ll have a look at them when I’m back where I keep them and see. I work in the dc area and only get back every other weekend. I actually have had the cruiser blasted for a year and a half because I got distracted with getting a boat going for this summer. I’m ready to get something rolling on it to be able to enjoy it before too much time passes. This is the first I’ve heard there’s a difference….I’d have been surprised to find the 4 speed wouldn’t fit without hearing this.

Last edited:
I did look at it and the torque tube is really close to the transfer case with the 3 speed so it won’t fit with the 4. I’ve got to figure out if I weld it in further back or use one of the other frames. I’d rather stay on the frame I’ve got now but to be honest i don’t know if it is the match for my body. The winch plates cover the frame vin.

what part of NC are you in?
Visually, the earlier trucks are the most appealing. Say 65-73. For running gear, the later trucks are of course better. I say start with a clean early body and frame and use the later running gear since its easy to drop in.
Also what @mattressking said above although I would include 64 in that because thats what I have haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom