What the heck and where can I find one (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spun an axle a while ago and for the life of me I can't find a spindle for my '70 FJ40.
It's from my rear driver side and my axle is a ff, disc break conversion.
Any ideas fellow cruiser nuts?

081.JPG

083.JPG

082.JPG

Old Warn full float kit.

Good luck.

Best bet would be to find a stock, semi-float rear axle and swap it back under your truck.

Service pieces for those full-float kits were gone a long time ago.

Also,

Please share the story with this.

Where are you located? I've got a complete rear axle minus backing plates you can have for free. It ued to have a disk brake kit on it. You just have to pick it up.

Where are you located? I've got a complete rear axle minus backing plates you can have for free. It ued to have a disk brake kit on it. You just have to pick it up.

Thanks for the offer, I believe I am a bit north of you just south of Eureka. If you are in Gilroy or that area of Garlicland. Logistics would be getting it up here. I do have 30 spline gears but I could swap them out though. Put my name on it though that might be my best option... thanks

Old Warn full float kit.

Good luck.

Best bet would be to find a stock, semi-float rear axle and swap it back under your truck.

Service pieces for those full-float kits were gone a long time ago.

Also,

Please share the story with this.
Thanks Poser for that. Bummed but someone might have a loose one floating(pun intended) around.

It was the 4th of July and was heading to Centerville Beach with my son and his gf. We tooled around the beach for a bit, had our bbq, fireworks. About midnight we were heading home and while on Fernbridge I heard the car behind me honking and flashing hi sights. I looked back and in the pitch black of night I saw my rear on fire...yikes..well glowing red like a wild banshe. When I got off the bridge and pulled over it really was a molten mess. I waited for the tow truck and they had to drag my rig on the truck. The wheel was a solid molten mess.
To many water crossings and not enough lube. ..i.e. maintenance..doh

Deferred maintenance gets ya every time.

Something probably very strange I do when I stop after a long drive I walk around the truck a feel how warm each hub is. Let's you know if a brake is dragging or a bearing is need of replacement.

I haven't seen that setup before but it looks similar to a front spindle no chance you chop a front one down?

Maybe you could trade the vintage G.I. Joe for one. :hmm:

Something probably very strange I do when I stop after a long drive I walk around the truck a feel how warm each hub is. Let's you know if a brake is dragging or a bearing is need of replacement.

I haven't seen that setup before but it looks similar to a front spindle no chance you chop a front one down?

Basically it is a front spindle but the bolt pattern is different. Fronts have 8 holes and this kit has only 6.

Maybe you could trade the vintage G.I. Joe for one.
That's funny. Had a younger guy (20's) walk up to me in the grocery store last week and think my adventure team logo t-shirt (the A over T logo in black with the red background from the early '70's) was a logo for the appalachian trail national park. Had no idea who G.I. Joe was/is... Didn't bother to ask him if he knew who John Wayne is...
Guess we are getting old...
regards,
Will
PS: Apology for the short thread hi-jack.

Tech- could you take a stock front spindle and weld up the holes as needed and re-drill to fit your axle?

That's funny. Had a younger guy (20's) walk up to me in the grocery store last week and think my adventure team logo t-shirt (the A over T logo in black with the red background from the early '70's) was a logo for the appalachian trail national park. Had no idea who G.I. Joe was/is... Didn't bother to ask him if he knew who John Wayne is...
Guess we are getting old...
regards,
Will
PS: Apology for the short thread hi-jack.

Tech- could you take a stock front spindle and weld up the holes as needed and re-drill to fit your axle?
I'll apologize in advance. Quite a few years ago my friend was looking at albums ("vinyl" in today-speak) in a record store and asked the young sales clerk if they had the Woodstock album. After thinking for a few minutes she replied "I'll check, would that be in the folk music section?"

Is your axle housing in good shape? Maybe you can remove the ff kit and go back to stock. As I recall, it was a bolt on affair.

Thanks for this pjohnson. I do have a couple of questions with this diagram. And please disregard my non mechanical lack of expertise.
Of course I will need all the seals and bearings and a few of the retaining nuts to replace, I get that. Is there a difference between the spindles from stock to the Warn ff spindle? I sent an email to Warn just in the off chance that they might have one floating(ha) around in their boneyards. I really don't have the fab skills to cut one down and weld up holes and redrill. Wouldn't I need to do both sides? And yes...#19 is my golden ticket.. Thanks for helping

More info though. I had forgotten ... Years ago I had, while on a TSLC run thru the Rubicon I grenaded a rear locking hub and luckily someone had a replacement so I could get out. Shortly after I replaced both with drive flanges. Can I just use a stock rear spindle with my drive flanges and call it a day? Or are the axles modified to fit the 6 hole Warn ff spindle? Could it be that simple and can the disc break be bolted up? Or are there set back and different tolerances for the calipers?

FJ40 reared in North America were all semi-floating design (Australia, some other areas got a full-floating rear axle.)

Semi-floating rear axle doesn't't have a spindle like this; the axle shafts have the wheel lugs attached.

Shouldn't be to much trouble to swap back to the stock semi-floating type axle.

good luck,

Alan

More info though. I had forgotten ... Years ago I had, while on a TSLC run thru the Rubicon I grenaded a rear locking hub and luckily someone had a replacement so I could get out. Shortly after I replaced both with drive flanges. Can I just use a stock rear spindle with my drive flanges and call it a day? Or are the axles modified to fit the 6 hole Warn ff spindle? Could it be that simple and can the disc break be bolted up? Or are there set back and different tolerances for the calipers?

So here is an update on this neigh impossible search...
I wrote Warn and they sold their axle division to Randy's ring and pinion about 10 years ago..lock stock and barrel. I called them(Randy's) and they don't make that design for the Landcruiser or a Jeep model(didn't get the model). But, he did say to call back when some of the old timers are there. They would know, or have a better idea where I can find one.
I know, I know there are some good suggestions given to me. I am not a fabricator like some of you and not a great wrencher either. Just ask the boys that brought me back to Rubicon Springs with my rebuilt 3rd member. On a TLCA Rubicon run I spun the splines on my pinion gear and had to leave my rig there less the 3rd member.
Anyway, Still digging around for a spindle. Which would be the best fix for me. And yes, I do appreciate all the help guys.

Maybe a welding machine shop could weld it up and remachine the spindle to size and rethread it
Might be more cost effective to swap another axle in it though
And you would be getting rid of some unobtanium unable to fix on side of road parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom