What is this leaking? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Please move if in the wrong place. Just took delivery of this FJ80 3FE and snapped this pick from underneath....

D42C1CC1-2235-4745-9FB6-44E321F6FAA2.jpeg

1549A388-0058-480B-BAD5-CCAC95DC0C63.jpeg

Good idea. I’ll do that. This rigs been through the ringer but has had a lot of work done so it may be relatively old.

+2

Also, probably valve cover gasket, distributor o-ring, oil pump gasket, power steering pump, front crank seal.

Not a 1FZ-FE, so slightly different list.......

Also, your sway bar bushings are shot.

It also looks like your speedo cable is leaking at the T-case. They have a rubber seal in them that may have cracked or it just may be loose.

It does look like you have a NEW fan, radiator, and maybe fan shroud!

Leak is likely the rear oil pan arch. That leak has been misdiagnosed as a rear main seal for the last 30 years.
Also that fan is from an FJ62 3FE. The FJ80 fan didn't have ridges on the blades.
Aftermarket fan clutch and it looks like the fan is sitting too far back, but hard to tell unless I'm looking at a stock motor to compare it to. In any case, not recommended. Go with an OEM green hub fan clutch to keep the old girl cool an those 155 bone crushing ponies happy.

Last edited:
Pardon my noob ignorance. I’m just getting into this arena so Im soaking it in and appreciate the info and humor.

Any of these issues/potential issues do-or-die must fix today or it’s all over, or do I have some time? Can I at least run it to the parts store?

Pardon my noob ignorance. I’m just getting into this arena so Im soaking it in and appreciate the info and humor.

Any of these issues/potential issues do-or-die must fix today or it’s all over, or do I have some time? Can I at least run it to the parts store?

Welcome to the forum! As long as all your fluid levels are good you're fine to drive it.

Last edited:
Treat her like an old farm tractor!
Check all fluids before every start until you are comfortable with how much or little she's consuming.
DS under the hood in front of battery will hold one each of engine oil, tranny/power steering fluid and one smaller brake fluid container.

Just had the side cover gasket replaced on my 92 - common leak on the 3fes and, from underneath, looked very similar to your leak. Solved my issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom