What is everyone doing for fishing pole storage/transportation (1 Viewer)

spressomon

glutton
I couldn't part with $500++ for a roof top fly rod & reel case so I, like most of you, did a little searching and found a great idea for same, and fabbed my own. Gray electrical conduit, conduit anchors, adapters, caps, 1x2, HDPE, small bolts & nuts and a small tackle box got it done for just a little less than $100.

I'm going to fab one specifically for the 100 for an upcoming trip, as this one is too bulky for the small space, where it needs to mount, next to the awning.

IMG_1411 3.JPG

Wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has any new/updated ideas or products.

I live in Florida and primarily use a spinning reel and pole setup. It seems most of the commercially available roof top options are for fly rods with the reel at the far end of the pole, but must of our poles will have the reel 6"-9" up from the end. I like the conduit and tackle box set up, but a tackle box deep enough for my reels would be massive.

When I lived in SoCal, used a lot of spinning and conventional reels. Did at least one multi-day trips for albacore, yellowfin and Dorado plus a few day trips for bass, barracuda (Remember the arm length rule!), and bonito. Had a small to medium plastic box and tubular hard cases for inshore and a BIG multi level wood lure box for storage (took two people to carry=heck some of the wahoo jigs & ling cod jigs weighed as much as 3 pounds!

When I had my FJ40, I simply slid them between the roll bar and the roof!

Dox

rod holder.jpg

I have a Roof Top Tent so threw this together in 20 minutes, pretty happy with it overall but could tweak it a little.

3-4" diameter PVC tube with screw on caps attached to your rack is a pretty popular method in Oz.
This is what I do here in Alaska. It’s water tight, light weight, versatile, and inexpensive. I can U bolt it to my yakama round bar roof rack, bungee it to my hitch tray, put it in the front compartment of my travel trailer,...

image.jpg

BG_TX

SILVER Star
I have the Inno rod rack, had it since 2009 and no issues with the rack itself but the rubber stays to hold the rods in deteriorated from heat exposure over the years - easy fix. Tucks up high in the 60 series so passengers maintain headroom.
1619104304732.png

1619104419220.png

Great rack for kayak fishing, the cargo area is still open for all of the kayak gear (seat, landing gear, pedal drive, tackle, etc).
1619104694554.png

Last edited:

rkymtnflyfisher

Day drinking instructor
SILVER Star
Wanted to revive this thread to see if anyone has any new/updated ideas or products.

I live in Florida and primarily use a spinning reel and pole setup. It seems most of the commercially available roof top options are for fly rods with the reel at the far end of the pole, but must of our poles will have the reel 6"-9" up from the end. I like the conduit and tackle box set up, but a tackle box deep enough for my reels would be massive.
Riversmith may be making one for spinning outfits now.

Edit-looks like it is Thule, formerly Denver Outfitters that makes them, and another one is made by Peak Outdoors.

Last edited:

rkymtnflyfisher

Day drinking instructor
SILVER Star
I travel with 2 rods rigged for most of the summer, makes it super easy to hop out and get some fishing in when I spot trout rising.

I also see no reason to skimp on keeping a couple thousand dollars worth of rods and reels secure.

Riversmith River Quiver, for 2 rods.

20200729_143521.jpg
20200713_153659.jpg

This is what I do here in Alaska. It’s water tight, light weight, versatile, and inexpensive. I can U bolt it to my yakama round bar roof rack, bungee it to my hitch tray, put it in the front compartment of my travel trailer,...

View attachment 2652019

That is what I'm planning to do also because it is cheap and lightweight.

I use the snowboard rack from Front Runner. No cover, but our rods aren’t anything special and it’s never a long drive. If you roll with a cover or pipe go reel-end forward so the wind doesn’t bend the rods while you drive. I like system but I’m not crazy about the Front Runner brand rack. It works but it’s a little janky. Gotta wiggle it some to unlock and slam it just right to close. I suspect the Rhino brand of the same product might be smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom