What is a good outdoor watch? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Casio G-Shock, nothing too fancy, but this one is going on 10 years old, only on the second battery from new and it has taken a beating. Welding spatter, hydraulic oil, mud, sand, paint, cows***, you name it, its worn it at some point. Still my daily watch because I "need" a watch to have Time, Date & Day readout. Those Fenix things look cool though.....
View attachment 3077847
Hard to beat the old G-Shock. Ive owned several. They all met their fate after much hard use.

LAte to the game but I have the Instinct 2 Solar. Using just as a smart watch outside and it can run forever on solar. It has a ton of features I was using on a 9 day Sierra backpacking trip. I like it. The fenix 6 line is pretty cheap and a good deal now that the 7 is out

Rolex Submariner. Nearly bulletproof, timeless, and, in a pinch, it can be sold nearly anywhere in the world for enough money to get home.

Rolex Submariner. Nearly bulletproof, timeless, and, in a pinch, it can be sold nearly anywhere in the world for enough money to get home.
I bought mine on sale for $900 when I was 18 years old, my dad said I was crazy but I think I could sell it for at least $5k today. Wore it daily for ~25 years. On its 3rd sapphire, 2nd bezel, and 2nd bracelet. Just in the last 5 or so years getting sick of snide comments, losing time, costly maintenance,….

I still wear it from time to time. But it is mostly retired due to my Garmin Fenix 6 pro mentioned above.

A9A4EB15-9C03-4596-9F0E-147BEAD68B59.jpeg

I bought mine on sale for $900 when I was 18 years old, my dad said I was crazy but I think I could sell it for at least $5k today. Wore it daily for ~25 years. On its 3rd sapphire, 2nd bezel, and 2nd bracelet. Just in the last 5 or so years getting sick of snide comments, losing time, costly maintenance,….

I still wear it from time to time. But it is mostly retired due to my Garmin Fenix 6 pro mentioned above.

Beautiful watch! I have a sub I bought when my first son was born, and a GMT I bought when my second son was born, and I rotate between them so they see me wearing them every day. College graduation gifts? ✅

I love my sub as well. But I have grown to like larger watches and reserve it for dress occasions with a suit which is pretty rare.

And in Some places it can cost your Life - be careful out there.

I try to Mix it Up.
The only one "Valuable" is the Hamilton LL Bean.
I refuse to buy a Watch without Numbers (Seiko taught me that) as they are Harder to Read at a Glance.
Would like a Luminox or Marathon someday, but I'm Content.
Ebay is a Great Place to Buy a Used Watch.
I put batteries in them as Needed.

IMG_4198.JPEG

IMG_4197.JPEG

Last edited:

i have a luminox recon point man and really like it, the first night that i wore it in the dark i was impressed with how bright the dial is. it took me longer than i care to admit to before i realized where the light was coming from. i got it off of the touch of modern app, you can get good deals on watches if your patient

I try to Mix it Up.
The only one "Valuable" is the Hamilton LL Bean.
I refuse to buy a Watch without Numbers (Seiko taught me that) as they are Harder to Read at a Glance.
Ebay is a Great Place to Buy a Used Watch.
I put batteries in them as Needed.

View attachment 3127698
View attachment 3127699

View attachment 3127697
You and I gravitate the same direction. The perfect watch is a combination of accuracy, toughness and good pricing. I’m 4 months or so into the ownership of A Marathon GSAR. Its accurate. The movement is known to be tough. Price on sale from Island Watch was a fuzz over 1k. I sold a Tudor Pelagos and went to the Marathon. Great looking watch, not dumb in size and not pretentious. I cant stand people staring at my watch. I really dont see ever getting rid of this watch.

I just bought a Luminox last fall and liked it until it started fogging up from (apparently) wearing it in the shower. Still under warranty, so I sent it to be repaired and was informed today that the warranty is no good because I bought it on Amazon, where they don’t have an “authorized” dealer. So now they want $107 to repair the fogging issue on a watch which only cost $350 to begin with.

Counting my horrible experience with Breitling, that makes two watch brands that I won’t do business with again.

I am also an analog guy, and I like a watch with solid luminescence. Anyone have any positive customer service experiences with analog watch makers? Hamilton, maybe? I seem to be gravitating towards military watches, primarily for their simplicity and durability. It seems like the more bomb-proof the watch, the more likely the manufacturer is to stand behind it.

I just bought a Luminox last fall and liked it until it started fogging up from (apparently) wearing it in the shower. Still under warranty, so I sent it to be repaired and was informed today that the warranty is no good because I bought it on Amazon, where they don’t have an “authorized” dealer. So now they want $107 to repair the fogging issue on a watch which only cost $350 to begin with.

Counting my horrible experience with Breitling, that makes two watch brands that I won’t do business with again.

I am also an analog guy, and I like a watch with solid luminescence. Anyone have any positive customer service experiences with analog watch makers? Hamilton, maybe? I seem to be gravitating towards military watches, primarily for their simplicity and durability. It seems like the more bomb-proof the watch, the more likely the manufacturer is to stand behind it.
Marathon. Great products. Their spring bars are awesome for use in other watches, too.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with Breitling, they've always been one of my favorite brands.

I've run the same Garmin Fenix for the last 4 years...been all over the world with it, trained and completed 3 full Ironman triathlon races and several shorter ones. Hunt with it, fish with it, hell i only take it off to charge it. I don't even know how many miles this thing has on it. Only have replaced the band twice. Highly recommend and will replace with one when this finally goes Tango Uniform.

I like the rolex submariner... It's nice...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom