What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (23 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wet sanded with 400 then 600. Used an aluminum metal polish and elbow grease with simple rag.

New gasket from Kurt and Bryce @cruiseroutfit

hOOter
'Autosol' works wonders for polishing metal. A cotton buff will work wonders too. In a die grinder they can make aluminum look like chrome.

TIG gives you more control
X2

Some of us use stick because that's what we've got... with farmers rod it gets the job done because cruisers use thick sheet metal.

nothing, nada to mine but spotted this at the grocery store in La Pine OR.
KIMG0442.jpg
KIMG0444.jpg
KIMG0443.jpg

Installed my new rectangular mirrors and the CB radio that hasn't been used since '86. We bought the CB for our new '84 FJ60 when we joined the Southern Nevada Land Cruisers. Getting more little things done prior to my next leg of the FJ40 Cross Country Expedition and the Solid Axle Summit.

Mirrors-1.jpg

Mirrors-2.jpg

CB-Radio.jpg

Solid Axle Summit-love that name

thanks for the reply - both sides are shown: did the backside first and then the front.... pretty much had to because the door 'skin' wraps around the back side. yes, just a simple MIG (wire feed with gas). i have a TIG and in the beginning of the project attempted it but there is simply no way to get the metal clean enough. in my experience most of the rust is in pockets where you can't get good access and i just ended up contaminating the tungsten every 1/4 inch - way too much frustration.

thanks for the reply - both sides are shown: did the backside first and then the front.... pretty much had to because the door 'skin' wraps around the back side. yes, just a simple MIG (wire feed with gas). i have a TIG and in the beginning of the project attempted it but there is simply no way to get the metal clean enough. in my experience most of the rust is in pockets where you can't get good access and i just ended up contaminating the tungsten every 1/4 inch - way too much frustration.
I use the sandblaster when the part fits in the cabinet. If not all the contaminated steell has to go.
Your work looks great.

Attempted to fix the spare tire patch that fell off the other day. Got new screws, some strip repair cheese grater strip things, and some loctite: but it still isn't biting in much. Heading for plan B tonight: quick tack weld instead. I hope to replace the entire sill someday sooner than later so I figure it doesn't matter too much and at least they won't come off.

IMG_1148.JPG

How are you grinding your welds down afterwards? Very clean work!

I think the only way you could get ALL the rust out of a Landcruiser would be to take very panel apart and blast it or acid dip everything. This is supposed to be an Arizona vehicle and the rust is everywhere. Fortunately, most of it is only surface so what I can't access (inside the seams etc) I try to fully soak/ flood with a rust converter and epoxy primer. To sand the welds, I knock down the big stuff with a cut-off wheel and then hit it with a 2" rollicking disc (starting with 36 grit and then 80 to 120). It's a slow process to get it nice and smooth without any cuts or digs

I've been putting off this simple 20 minute job until I about ran through the front of the liquor store. What a major difference! View attachment 1509414
Next time don't wait so long. I don't recognize your booster, but when I put in an 80 booster & master I had to relearn how to drive because the brakes did so much with almost no input.

Thanks just got it put back together after 8 years of it being in pieces. Had to replace the Nast old wheels and tires. Now it matches a old add I found from my grandfathers 1979 hunting magazine. Same year as my cruiser. Raptors the daily driver.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom