What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (48 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The update on the Switch Pro "issue". Everything is pointing to a pin inside the harness as failing which caused the switch pro to create too much resistance and the power wire to begin to melt. Why it failed we don't know. It will be sent back to SP for them to look into it.

Screenshot_20210704-125938_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210704-125921_Gallery.jpg

The update on the Switch Pro "issue". Everything is pointing to a pin inside the harness as failing which caused the switch pro to create too much resistance and the power wire to begin to melt. Why it failed we don't know. It will be sent back to SP for them to look into it.

View attachment 2721735

View attachment 2721736
Was there a fuse between the SP and the battery?

Do you think the fuse failed, or is the gauge of wire too small for the load on the switch pros. The fuse should be determined based on the wire, rather than the load.

Do you think the fuse failed, or is the gauge of wire too small for the load on the switch pros. The fuse should be determined based on the wire, rather than the load.
I believe that fuse failed me. Not sure wire gage but I will definitely check that when I get the truck back to make sure fuse and wire are appropriate.

I suspect it’s possible that there are wires small enough within the switch pros that turned into little igniters without the main wire drawing too much to blow its fuse. You’d think it would have fused circuits inside, but I’m not an electronics engineer…

View attachment 2721735

View attachment 2721736
Wow, talk about letting the smoke out. I bet that was scary, I’m glad you caught it in time!

View attachment 2721735

View attachment 2721736

From the looks of things in the pics, it seems to be a short to ground (marked GD). Possibly originating at the neighboring ignition (IGN) pin as that would be powered at the time. Question is why did it short? Possibly water ingress to the harness/connector? I believe it's for this reason that Switchpros recommends (#6) installing in the vertical orientation. Other question would be whether your ignition reference is fused (small 5 or 10 amp)? It's possible at some point that the short spread that the current source wasn't just from the IGN and from the main SwitchPros 125amp source which surely would start making things exciting. I'm deducing it's from the IGN pin, as Switchpros has short protection within it's switched circuits.

I really appreciate you providing us more insight into the issue you experienced. Hopefully they'll get you all sorted and no worse for wear.

1625433902262.png

1625434143908.png

That's it. They are all over Switch Pro trying to figure it out. No indication at this point it was shop's fault. They reacted quick with a flat bed to get on it.
details on the compressor install? Looking at doing similar in the near future. Is that a slee bracket?

I suspect it’s possible that there are wires small enough within the switch pros that turned into little igniters without the main wire drawing too much to blow its fuse. You’d think it would have fused circuits inside, but I’m not an electronics engineer…
Yeah at this point it's about as clear as mud what caused the SP to malfunction but it's the only part showing damage externally and internally. I'll be checking it more often now...unfortunately.

From the looks of things in the pics, it seems to be a short to ground (marked GD). Possibly originating at the neighboring ignition (IGN) pin as that would be powered at the time. Question is why did it short? Possibly water ingress to the harness/connector? I believe it's for this reason that Switchpros recommends (#6) installing in the vertical orientation. Other question would be whether your ignition reference is fused (small 5 or 10 amp)? It's possible at some point that the short spread that the current source wasn't just from the IGN and from the main SwitchPros 125amp source which surely would start making things exciting. I'm deducing it's from the IGN pin, as Switchpros has short protection within it's switched circuits.

I really appreciate you providing us more insight into the issue you experienced. Hopefully they'll get you all sorted and no worse for wear.

View attachment 2721910

View attachment 2721916
You could be right that the 125 was involved. The two main wires running to the SP were red hot and fused to the post. Used a screw driver to pry them off and break the circuit.

Only water I have been in has been up to bumpers and when I clean the engine I avoid that side of the bay altogether. But I use the heck out of this rig and can't say water never got there.

If I get anything else back from SP, I'll be sure to pass it on in the forums. Don't want anyone to go through this.

details on the compressor install? Looking at doing similar in the near future. Is that a slee bracket?

Slee bracket. ARB Dual compressor. Wired to the SP and controlled by my touch panel in my sunglass cubby.

Check out some of the build threads. Bunch of folks have set the compressor up in various places. Highly recommend going dual instead of single compressor. Much quicker airing up at end of the run.

Installed Kaon Rear Shock Stone Guards.

Replacing LRCA and noticed the bracket has taken some damage last couple years.
Anyone know of LCRA Armor manufacturers? Checked Trail Tailor and non shown on site. Was hoping Bud Built made some but didn't see any.

Began prep for Slee slider install.

It was tough mentally to get started cutting the pricey lexus plastic, but I decided if I jacked it up, I'd just pull off what was left of the trim and monstaline the rockers.

Used a harbor freight oscillating tool and a fresh utility knife blade. Left a bit extra and look at it again when I mount the sliders.
IMG_6877.jpg
IMG_6886.jpg

Replacing LRCA and noticed the bracket has taken some damage last couple years.
Anyone know of LCRA Armor manufacturers? Checked Trail Tailor and non shown on site. Was hoping Bud Built made some but didn't see any.
Nope, if anyone has them, I haven't found them. And I've been looking hard. Trail Tailor used to make them, but Jason stopped (not enough 200 sales volume). Budbuilt are still refining theirs and haven't released them to market yet. I spoke with Bud last week and he wants them perfect before he releases them - no promises, but he said he might have some time this fall to finish the development work.

Nope, if anyone has them, I haven't found them. And I've been looking hard. Trail Tailor used to make them, but Jason stopped (not enough 200 sales volume). Budbuilt are still refining theirs and haven't released them to market yet. I spoke with Bud last week and he wants them perfect before he releases them - no promises, but he said he might have some time this fall to finish the development work.
Thanks. Glad to hear Bud is gonna have them. They cover the rest of my guts...might as well add that when it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom