What have you done to your 200 Series this week? (35 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ever embarked on a quick fix that turned out to take way much longer than you planned?
How about replacing a front turn signal on a face lift LC200? With a spare battery? With an aftermarket bumper? 5-10 min job, no worries.

Attempted to replace front right turn signal with a VLED. Had to remove my spare battery and BCDC to get to it. Got it in there, tight fit and the damn bulb came loose while inserting in the housing and it fell into the headlight housing. Tried fishing out with wire and duct tape. No go.

Had to remove the headlight housing. It's only four screws, no big deal. It was a big deal when the left side screw was covered by my Rhino bumper. Anyway, luckily the Rhino bumper is modular and only had to take the left hand side off. Still a PITA ~ 9 bolts that are not easy to maneuver.

I did find a nice surprise while pulling off the cover above the radiator. Some critter recently decided to build a nest on top of my winch and synthetic line. I think it's a squirrel nest judging from the long sticks. Doesn't appear to have chewed on anything like mice and rats. It was a late night. All for a dang turn signal.

IMG_0272.jpeg

IMG_0275.jpeg

IMG_0276.jpeg

Last edited:
Stopped it from burning to the ground at a gas station...switchpros panel under hood went freaking bonkers...small arcing and enough smoke from under the hood to cause the guy next to me to haul ass from the pump with the nozzle still in his tank...I got it shut down and disconnected from post on switch pros...wires so hot I had to use a tool to break it loose...only then did anything connected to switch pros turn off...end result...saved truck without damage to Toyota systems but, but she went to the shop...horrible Pic but I was not thinking about framing.

View attachment 2719668
Crazy. Wonder what caused it? Did you have some heavy loads turned on the switches? Fuses blow? Guess you will lean more on the post-mortem repair. Sorry to about this but glad you saved the LC and it's electrical system. Did you have an extinguisher handy? Halguard or Element?

Crazy. Wonder what caused it? Did you have some heavy loads turned on the switches? Fuses blow? Guess you will lean more on the post-mortem repair. Sorry to about this but glad you saved the LC and it's electrical system. Did you have an extinguisher handy? Halguard or Element?
Not sure of the cause, nothing switched on...I had just filled up and was idling at the pump...smelled plastic burning looked up and windshield was covered in black smoke...then my on board compressor came on...looked at touch panel and it showed all extras off...turned off truck...heard the guy next to me yell at me as he floored it...popped hood and saw arcing from battery area. Grabbed extinguisher from rear of truck with a wrench to disconnect battery. Lights and compressor still running. Truck was not running. Negative terminal disconnected on battery but everything remained on so went to fuse box wiring and disconnected switch pro there...it killed all ancillary lights and compressor. No fuses blew from what I looked at, it just started everything up and ran. Shop is gonna look into it as I had just picked it up 30 minutes before after having some work done on winch and other non electrical stuff. Not a happy camper but they are digging into it.

Not sure of the cause, nothing switched on...I had just filled up and was idling at the pump...smelled plastic burning looked up and windshield was covered in black smoke...then my on board compressor came on...looked at touch panel and it showed all extras off...turned off truck...heard the guy next to me yell at me as he floored it...popped hood and saw arcing from battery area. Grabbed extinguisher from rear of truck with a wrench to disconnect battery. Lights and compressor still running. Truck was not running. Negative terminal disconnected on battery but everything remained on so went to fuse box wiring and disconnected switch pro there...it killed all ancillary lights and compressor. No fuses blew from what I looked at, it just started everything up and ran. Shop is gonna look into it as I had just picked it up 30 minutes before after having some work done on winch and other non electrical stuff. Not a happy camper but they are digging into it.
wow. That's crazy. Glad you had a wrench and extinguisher handy. I admired your Switch Pro install which helped me plan my install. Something tells me the shop who worked on the electrical may have overlooked something.

wow. That's crazy. Glad you had a wrench and extinguisher handy. I admired your Switch Pro install which helped me plan my install. Something tells me the shop who worked on the electrical may have overlooked something.
It was this install right or did it change?

74478462_2898114713555322_3169161053704725504_n.jpg

Ok...update time...just off the phone with shop. Total failure on SwitchPros internal wiring. They are installing a brand new board and wiring after getting with SwitchPros directly. No factory wiring damage or blown fuses.

Great customer service from @duggy . They are taking care of everything to include the tow. It's a massive relief to know your shop has your back even a year after install/service.

Ok...update time...just off the phone with shop. Total failure on SwitchPros internal wiring. They are installing a brand new board and wiring after getting with SwitchPros directly. No factory wiring damage or blown fuses.

Great customer service from @duggy . They are taking care of everything to include the tow. It's a massive relief to know your shop has your back even a year after install/service.
Do you have more than one battery? Trying to figure out what was completing the circuit if you disconnected the ground from the battery. Especially enough of a circuit to keep a compressor running.

Do you have more than one battery? Trying to figure out what was completing the circuit if you disconnected the ground from the battery. Especially enough of a circuit to keep a compressor running.
Great question...and one I failed to address. If you scroll up a bit there is a Pic of my setup...there is a small secondary pos and negative post on the grouo 31 battery that was still connected. In the confusion I only disconnected the main negative line before going after switchpro board. I wanted to get the truck off the battery to reduce the chances of damaging the Cruiser. Figured the smoke and sparks were coming from battery. I was unsure what was going on till the smoke cleared up and I saw the panel was the cause of smoke.

Plastic/wire sparks/fire/smoke is like a head wound...it looks alot worse than it is. Lol. But those damn wires were glowing hot.

Good save there @Bullgump from a scary situation. No doubt your quick reaction saved your rig. Curious of the failure as I have a Switchpros too. Fortunately, I haven't heard of many issues or failures with this unit so hopefully it was an isolated situation.

Do you have any hesitations of it mounted in that orientation? The manual calls for it to be installed vertically, and also without an external terminal block, both to avoid long term water or corrosion issues? Hopefully that wasn't the issue for this situation? Also, is the whole SwitchPros on a fuse that would protect from a runaway event? IIRC it came with a 125A inline fuse?

Good save there @Bullgump from a scary situation. No doubt your quick reaction saved your rig. Curious of the failure as I have a Switchpros too. Fortunately, I haven't heard of many issues or failures with this unit so hopefully it was an isolated situation.

Do you have any hesitations of it mounted in that orientation? The manual calls for it to be installed vertically, and also without an external terminal block, both to avoid long term water or corrosion issues? Hopefully that wasn't the issue for this situation? Also, is the whole SwitchPros on a fuse that would protect from a runaway event? IIRC it came with a 125A inline fuse?

Thanks. I guess those years of working traffic accidents told me this was no bueno with the power still flowing. Lol.

This is the first issue I have had with this set up. I deferred to the shop for the installation so as long as it was covered under warranty. My understanding is that this is an issue which has occurred with other units and that a "pin or its connection" failed/malfunctioned in the harness which caused the SP to stop regulating the amperage. Basically the system interrepted this as "turn it all on and let's get this party started." To which the wiring running from the SP heated up to the point it melted plastic, arc'd and broke my attention away from my Chic-fil-a app.

But to be totally transparent; let me follow up with my installer as they spoke with SwitchPro on the issue. The new board being installed is their newest version. It should be ready next week.

I want to get everyone the right information on how this happened and the fixes which addressed it.

^Besides all the hard off-roadin...

Really liking your build with the fender flairs and all. Probably didn't help with some of the narrow passes but it's really clean looking and something different. Harkens a bit back to the fender flaired 80s and 4Rs.

Ever embarked on a quick fix that turned out to take way much longer than you planned?
How about replacing a front turn signal on a face lift LC200? With a spare battery? With an aftermarket bumper? 5-10 min job, no worries.

Attempted to replace front right turn signal with a VLED. Had to remove my spare battery and BCDC to get to it. Got it in there, tight fit and the damn bulb came loose while inserting in the housing and it fell into the headlight housing. Tried fishing out with wire and duct tape. No go.

Had to remove the headlight housing. It's only four screws, no big deal. It was a big deal when the left side screw was covered by my Rhino bumper. Anyway, luckily the Rhino bumper is modular and only had to take the left hand side off. Still a PITA ~ 9 bolts that are not easy to maneuver.

I did find a nice surprise while pulling off the cover above the radiator. Some critter recently decided to build a nest on top of my winch and synthetic line. I think it's a squirrel nest judging from the long sticks. Doesn't appear to have chewed on anything like mice and rats. It was a late night. All for a dang turn signal.

View attachment 2719671

View attachment 2719672

View attachment 2719673
Crazy. Yep that is every job I attempt on my own. Seems easy... then it's not... then I'm on you tube and headed to harbor freight.... there goes the weekend.
I just remind myself... it's still better than helping a brother in law move or 1000 things like that.

i think this is @mmcinnis and his old truck before the one above too ...

he is bad to the bone and has alot of off road driving experience

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom