What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (52 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Look at his signature, he has a 2000 model year. The 2000 model years are experiencing a higher than normal early transmission failure. Lots of info posted here, do some searches if you are curious. With that said, your 1999 model year is perfectly safe.

that's why I was asking, I stopped reading when I deduced it was mostly 2000's...odd

I thought tranny was short for transfer case not transmission. Word to the wise don't google tranny as a means to finding the answer.

Word to the wise don't google tranny as a means to finding the answer.

Yeah I'm going to recommend against that! :eek:

As long as I've been in cars tranny always meant the transmission. I've never heard transfer case called anything else other than, well, transfer case. :)

Those IM front torsion bars are thick, you better load up that front end with some extra weight first! You can always set them aside and install just the rear springs for now. That's exactly what I did for the past two years with my OME bars.

As for diff drop, well you are going to find 12 people who says "do it!" and 12 people who say "don't waste the money!". I spent the money and installed a Slee diff drop at the same time as lifting my LC. Cheap peace of mind in my book.

So I can tell my wife that I "NEED" a front bumper so it rides right...excellent!

Diff drop I came down on that topic like this. I am going 2 inch above stock. A diff drop brings it back 1 inch toward stock for $200 leaving it 1 inch above stock......id rather put new clamps on my boots and mmmaaybe have to rebuild them down the road if needed....but my truck has 200k...if it had 65k...different story...thanks for the advice!

Look at his signature, he has a 2000 model year. The 2000 model years are experiencing a higher than normal early transmission failure. Lots of info posted here, do some searches if you are curious. With that said, your 1999 model year is perfectly safe...
'99 and '01 aren't immune, just fail at a lower rate. Not sure this last one was the same "2000" failure mode as the rest, either.

'99 and '01 aren't immune, just fail at a lower rate. Not sure this last one was the same "2000" failure mode as the rest, either.

ok, ok, maybe perfectly safe was a bit overstated. My point was based on what we have seen here on MUD the past couple years the 2000 model year is having higher than normal failure rate compared to all other model years. I'm not going to get into the game of speculation in what is causing this. Simple observation from the number of people that post up transmission problems or replacements with a 2000.

Sure, one day all automatic transmissions will fail.

So I can tell my wife that I "NEED" a front bumper so it rides right...excellent!

Unfortunately a front bumper really isn't enough, you need to convince her to also spring for the 12k winch and dual batteries under the hood. Then you got some weight different up front. I'm just trying to help! :D

03 ARB instal
Titan winch
Relocated the solenoid under hood using factory bolt holes
Ran winch control plug to interior of truck for less headache winching
picked up custom drawers with built in water tank and hot water shower on monday

New tires. Went from my third set of 275s to 285s after owning for almost 11 years. Lost the running boards two years ago. Must be the world's slowest build!
photo (7).jpg
photo (8).jpg

Unfortunately a front bumper really isn't enough, you need to convince her to also spring for the 12k winch and dual batteries under the hood. Then you got some weight different up front. I'm just trying to help! :D

I LOVE the way you think....can you come talk to my wife? (she is less convinced)

what happened to the tranny? How do you like the Ironman gear? I just ordered their 2 inch kit from Metaltech....I spent a week freaking out over IM verse OME and whether to do the diff drop or not.

The tranny went south as i was headed north, you can search for my recent thread, its titled something like "the road to a new tranny."

I love the IM stuff, still running the stock torsion bars but will be changing them out later this year. Eli, the guy that owns IM is a great guy and personal friend and I wanted to support him. The OME stuff is great but figuring out which setup to go with is not fun. Not sure I agree with how stiff the IM torsion bars are, lots run em and love em, thats another point of deliberation similar to the diff drop conversation.

Look at his signature, he has a 2000 model year. The 2000 model years are experiencing a higher than normal early transmission failure. Lots of info posted here, do some searches if you are curious. With that said, your 1999 model year is perfectly safe.

Those IM front torsion bars are thick, you better load up that front end with some extra weight first! You can always set them aside and install just the rear springs for now. That's exactly what I did for the past two years with my OME bars.

As for diff drop, well you are going to find 12 people who says "do it!" and 12 people who say "don't waste the money!". I spent the money and installed a Slee diff drop at the same time as lifting my LC. Cheap peace of mind in my book.

A.L. is correct, I am one of the ones that doesn't see a need for a diff drop, at least not yet. I have torn old cv boots and keep a spare cv just in case, boot kits are $30 and the cv swap doesnt take that long.

Sorry for the off topic...Im gonna go have some mexican food and margaritas for my birthday and then come home and change my oil....:hmm:....well I know I am going for mexican food and margs!

The tranny went south as i was headed north, you can search for my recent thread, its titled something like "the road to a new tranny."

I love the IM stuff, still running the stock torsion bars but will be changing them out later this year. Eli, the guy that owns IM is a great guy and personal friend and I wanted to support him. The OME stuff is great but figuring out which setup to go with is not fun. Not sure I agree with how stiff the IM torsion bars are, lots run em and love em, thats another point of deliberation similar to the diff drop conversation.
this is very subjective, tires, conditions, personnal ideas about "soft and hard" ride quality, etc. Im glad you like IM. I ordered mine from metaltech but it's still Eli's gear.

A.L. is correct, I am one of the ones that doesn't see a need for a diff drop, at least not yet. I have torn old cv boots and keep a spare cv just in case, boot kits are $30 and the cv swap doesnt take that long. we are on the same page here

Sorry for the off topic...Im gonna go have some mexican food and margaritas for my birthday and then come home and change my oil....:hmm:....well I know I am going for mexican food and margs! I started the thread and all though mods own it I take some writing license....it's abot 100s so it applies in my book...happy birthday :cheers:

Drove 3 miles to work and back... and trying to figure out why I now have a strange albeit low vibration between 30-35 mph? Oh, also going to install BT35 to link up iPhone music and phone. Boom.

Finished installing some new shocks to give those 185k mile shocks a break. Chopped off my resonator after finding two holes in, opening up that V8 a bit. Then drove it up to good ole Auburn to start school

I somehow managed to destroy both ends of the CV axle at windrock (replaced today). Tore my ARB fog light insert out, ripped off rear bumper and somehow lost the mud flap, slid into a stump on the driver side and dragged it the length of the rig, put my brand new exhaust system on a rock and crushed the muffler. Smashed up lower control arm mounts...I'm starting to think I need to buy Griffin's 40 :D

so that's my report...looking forward to the next trip :)

I somehow managed to destroy both ends of the CV axle at windrock (replaced today). Tore my ARB fog light insert out, ripped off rear bumper and somehow lost the mud flap, slid into a stump on the driver side and dragged it the length of the rig, put my brand new exhaust system on a rock and crushed the muffler. Smashed up lower control arm mounts...I'm starting to think I need to buy Griffin's 40 :D

so that's my report...looking forward to the next trip :)

pics or it didnt happen:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom