What have you been doing with your Toyota? (2 Viewers)

Without a shroud you are literally just swirling air around in the engine bay at slow speeds. Without a shroud you can't create a vacuum in front of the fan so you don't pull nearly as much air through. That is likely the real problem
So you're saying I should quit being lazy and build a shroud then.

I agree, Toyota’s all come with shrouds for a reason. I can’t think of a true adverse affect even at speed. If you add a simple shroud I bet you’re good to go.

I found some of the rubber flaps that @elkun1 mentioned, so I can add those to help maintain the higher speed performance. I'll do some cardboard aided design this weekend and then get some steel.

I found some of the rubber flaps that @elkun1 mentioned, so I can add those to help maintain the higher speed performance. I'll do some cardboard aided design this weekend and then get some steel.
Is there no off the shelf aftermarket version? I would think with how many 40s have had a SBC swap their might be a bolt in? Anyhow, I think that is the easiest way to move forward.

Is there no off the shelf aftermarket version? I would think with how many 40s have had a SBC swap their might be a bolt in? Anyhow, I think that is the easiest way to move forward.
There's a few off the shelf options that bolt right up to a stock 40 radiator. Most of it depends on spacing and location of a mechanical fan which is almost always different with swapped 40's. If your going to run electric fans there's a few options there as well for a 16" fan + shroud built already. @pigmony is it mechanical or electrical at the moment?

It's currently mechanical. If I can get it work with the mechanical fan and a shroud, then I'd prefer to keep it that way. No reason to add complexity if it isn't needed. It's a clutch-less, large diameter, aftermarket fan, so I doubt any of the off the shelf options would work without modification. Often times it's easier to just build from scratch rather than try to make something work.

@pigmony Where is the center of the fan hub with respect to the center of the radiator?
Centered left to right, but below centerline top to bottom. @elkun1 had previously recommended that I drop the radiator 1-2 inches, which makes logical sense to me but also looks like a significant fabrication job that I'm hoping not to need to do.

After chatting with @JohnnyOshow22 at the meeting last night I went ahead and ordered the shroud and fan kit from Champion Radiators that goes specifically with my radiator. I should have just ordered it all together right from the start, but hindsight is 20/20. With luck, that'll be the end of my low-speed cooling issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom