What have you been doing with your Toyota? (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been on the road a couple weeks so far. Still a couple till we are back. But we made it as far south as planned this am.
4BC6CF73-69A5-433E-B908-8D28E1FC51E6.jpeg

I built some interior storage for my 40 and got my Yaesu FT-2980R 2-meter ham radio and 1/2-wave whip antenna installed. The wife and I are headed to St. Anthony this weekend, so that'll be a good test of our car camping/overlanding gear, our organization in the vehicle, and we'll get to see how the 40 does in sand. I'll make any changes that we think are needed after this weekend trip, and we'll start getting ready for the Magruder Corridor.

20210508_184746.jpg

A few years ago Sailor held a welding clinic for the club and that was my introduction to metal fabrication. Since then I've hacked together some smaller stuff but never really created anything useful. I'd been meaning to get around to welding up one of these tire racks for a while and then at the meet-and-greet @ Hyalite last month I met a guy who had built one. That was my inspiration.
I finished it up a couple of weeks ago and have just finished testing its strength and stability on a trip to Moab. Not a wiggle or a squeak in 1200 miles of blacktop and ~200 miles of wheeling on some of Moab's finest. Next up is to remove it for paint and then create a solid replacement for my cr@ppy inside cargo rack, this time w/o wood!

IMG_2326.jpeg

IMG_2271.jpeg

A few years ago Sailor held a welding clinic for the club and that was my introduction to metal fabrication. Since then I've hacked together some smaller stuff but never really created anything useful. I'd been meaning to get around to welding up one of these tire racks for a while and then at the meet-and-greet @ Hyalite last month I met a guy who had built one. That was my inspiration.
I finished it up a couple of weeks ago and have just finished testing its strength and stability on a trip to Moab. Not a wiggle or a squeak in 1200 miles of blacktop and ~200 miles of wheeling on some of Moab's finest. Next up is to remove it for paint and then create a solid replacement for my cr@ppy inside cargo rack, this time w/o wood!

View attachment 2673392

View attachment 2673394
That things lookin good!

Summer prep maintenance:
Oil change, 10-40 for summer.
New spark plugs.
Check diffs oil, transmission, and transfer.
Lube all zerks and knuckles.
5 tire rotation.

Last edited:
Just testing it now. It will be motion sensing so it only pees when walking into our yard. Will not be here either. It will be in the yard close to the gate. Basin will eventually be buried. Will only operate when you are within a few feet. That’s the plan at least.

06C69491-234A-4019-98BC-53EEF9139BF8.jpeg
CFFBA8D2-EF5F-43F2-B18A-FC596FB2677A.jpeg
Sorry I don’t know how to upload a video but it’s running about 150 GPH.

I finally got around to kinda sorta finishing the rear bumper. The body/ crossmember chop along with figuring out how to make recovery points in the frame took forever. I’m new to fabrication but it definitely came out better than I thought it was going to.
B388E511-826F-4D51-979E-FCCBBF28A63C.jpeg
5AEA4E45-2CF9-4962-BB50-DECE8F1D2051.jpeg

My wife and I took the 40 over Flathead Pass today. My cooling system is still a limitation. I think I may try a set of pusher fans.
20210531_164319.jpg

We ran out of articulation crossing this rut at too much of an angle and lost traction. Had to back up and try four or five times before I got the angle right. A locker would have made it simple, but so would a driver who can read lines a little better.
20210531_163524.jpg

Tons of wildflowers all up and down the whole trail.
20210531_163405.jpg

It was about 4 hours driveway to driveway for us. Would be a lot faster if my cooling system could keep up and if I could drive better, but it was a fun little trip.

Were the wild flowers busting yet? its one of the better spots in the valley to see them.

What engine you running? 2F? I replaced my radiator with a 4 core unit from Radiator Barn about 13 years ago when my fan let go and took out my radiator. I was doing a ton of slow/4lo driving in Moab at the time and the 4 core unit literally took care of all my cooling issues. Now I need to block off the radiator in the winter just to get up to temp. It wasn't expensive either (at the time) and was plug and play.

Were the wild flowers busting yet? its one of the better spots in the valley to see them.

What engine you running? 2F? I replaced my radiator with a 4 core unit from Radiator Barn about 13 years ago when my fan let go and took out my radiator. I was doing a ton of slow/4lo driving in Moab at the time and the 4 core unit literally took care of all my cooling issues. Now I need to block off the radiator in the winter just to get up to temp. It wasn't expensive either (at the time) and was plug and play.
I've seen more wildflowers, but not a lot more. I'd say that area is approaching its peak.

I'm running a GM carbed 5.7 with an aluminum radiator and a mechanical fan, but currently no shroud. It does really well above 30 mph, including mountain passes at interstate speed. It has trouble with low speed. It probably does need a shroud, but I'm a little hesitant there because it works SO well at normal driving speeds. Being what it is I'd have to custom fab a shroud, which isn't a huge deal, but it is a fair amount of time and I'm not certain that will fix the low speed problem without negatively impacting the normal/high speed performance. My thought was to try two 7-8" pusher fans on a manual switch so that I can turn them on or off whenever I think they're needed.

I've seen more wildflowers, but not a lot more. I'd say that area is approaching its peak.

I'm running a GM carbed 5.7 with an aluminum radiator and a mechanical fan, but currently no shroud. It does really well above 30 mph, including mountain passes at interstate speed. It has trouble with low speed. It probably does need a shroud, but I'm a little hesitant there because it works SO well at normal driving speeds. Being what it is I'd have to custom fab a shroud, which isn't a huge deal, but it is a fair amount of time and I'm not certain that will fix the low speed problem without negatively impacting the normal/high speed performance. My thought was to try two 7-8" pusher fans on a manual switch so that I can turn them on or off whenever I think they're needed.
Without a shroud you are literally just swirling air around in the engine bay at slow speeds. Without a shroud you can't create a vacuum in front of the fan so you don't pull nearly as much air through. That is likely the real problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom