What do you keep in your "get home kit"? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I don't have a list. I try to work with tools in my carry bag when working in the driveway, if i have to go to the toolbox for something i decide if I'm going to carry that tool.
I don't carry a 54mm hub socket because it's big and i can get those nuts off and on with a screwdriver and a hammer. Or a screwdriver and a rock.
But i do carry a 12mm and 21mm socket.

Get Home Box.jpg

I updated my list from what you guys gave me and what I normally carry - This is a photo of how much space everything takes up..... not much space to have everything.

- CASE OF PALE ALE
- gloves
- ratchet straps - I’m a girl so this is a must when I don’t have a guaranteed corn fed boy there to break a bolt loose. Wrap one side around the ratchet handle and the other around a tire or axle and get to cranking - dads teach your daughters this, it has saved me so many times.
- vice grips
- LED magnetic light
- set of basic wrenches/sockets
- I carry a tool you can get at Ace that is a pry bar, hammer, crescent wrench in one (Stanley Fat Max)
- leatherman
- bailing wire
- RTV
- thread locker and super glue
- piece of jumper wire with a wad of gorilla tape wrapped around it (works as duct tape but I’ve been told its not conductive so it can be used as electrical tape to get you home)
- a spare piece of fuel hose (can be used for so many things)
- jug of premixed anti-freeze
- zip ties
- a set of basic toyota bolts
- hose clamps
- small critical parts like fuel filter, u-joint, belts
- steel stick
- breaker bar / cheater pipe
- small tire repair kit
- Jumper box that’s also an air compressor (Stanley Fat Max is also a phone charger, pressure gauge, flash light etc - I can jump a good sized diesel tractor three-four times before I need to put a charge on it)
- small can of starting fluid
- small bottle of brake fluid
- small can of WD-40
- quart of oil
- can of seafoam

Nice set up, I like to suggest getting spare ziplock bags. Get one big enough for the brake fluid containers or put the container where it will not onto something else. Nitrile gloves. This come in handy for lot if things when you want to get your hands dirty. Don't need the whole box just enough to do job in ziplock bag. They do break so carry extras. I really like using the 90* needle nose pliers so carry those. It's really a preference thing. I like that you found a good use for the ratchet strap. And that is the whole idea, there is always more than one way to do a repair. The last thing I highly recommend is figure out how to tie it all down. Anyhow, just a suggestion(s)

This is my current setup:

Various Fluids
Road Flares
Fuel Pump
Wheel Chocks
Random electrical stuff (fuses, premade grounding straps, etc)
Screwdriver
Adjustable Wrench
Pliers
Breaker Bar
Socket Set
Knife
Random bag of bolts
Zip Ties
Urethane Bunjee Cord
Lighter + Hot Glue Stick

I'll be sure to add a few things from StephaniesFJ's list. Hose Clamps and steel stick are good ones I did not have before.

IMG_3478.jpg

IMG_3477.jpg

This is my current setup:

Various Fluids
Road Flares
Fuel Pump
Wheel Chocks
Random electrical stuff (fuses, premade grounding straps, etc)
Screwdriver
Adjustable Wrench
Pliers
Breaker Bar
Socket Set
Knife
Random bag of bolts
Zip Ties
Urethane Bunjee Cord
Lighter + Hot Glue Stick

I'll be sure to add a few things from StephaniesFJ's list. Hose Clamps and steel stick are good ones I did have before.

View attachment 2940373
View attachment 2940372
jealous of your box and mat...Looks sharp!

I apologize ahead of time, but I’m a list type of guy. Does anyone have a good definitive list of should have items?
- gloves
- ratchet straps - I’m a girl so this is a must when I don’t have a guaranteed corn fed boy there to break a bolt loose. Wrap one side around the ratchet handle and the other around a tire or axle and get to cranking - dads teach your daughters this, it has saved me so many times.
- vice grips
- LED magnetic light
- set of basic wrenches/sockets
- I carry a tool you can get at Ace that is a pry bar, hammer, crescent wrench in one (Stanley Fat Max)
- leatherman
- bailing wire
- RTV
- thread locker and super glue
- piece of jumper wire with a wad of gorilla tape wrapped around it (works as duct tape but I’ve been told its not conductive so it can be used as electrical tape to get you home)
- a spare piece of fuel hose (can be used for so many things)
- jug of premixed anti-freeze
- zip ties
- a set of basic toyota bolts
- hose clamps
- small critical parts like fuel filter, u-joint, belts
- steel stick
- breaker bar / cheater pipe
- small tire repair kit
- Jumper box that’s also an air compressor (Stanley Fat Max is also a phone charger, pressure gauge, flash light etc - I can jump a good sized diesel tractor three-four times before I need to put a charge on it)
- small can of starting fluid
- small bottle of brake fluid
- small can of WD-40
- quart of oil
- can of seafoam

My 80 series has a quite extensive tool kit and spares (for rock crawling). My 40 is not being used that way yet. Aside from a set of hand tools and tire changing stuff, I keep the spare Pertronix (that it came with) and a fan belt. Even after replacing the GM pulley on the alternator, the upgraded plastic fan without a clutch seems to want to slip and burn up the belt.

I'm just now putting together a bunch of different emergency tools bag, one for each car and cruiser. Of course, each bag will be adjusted to fit the needs of the particular vehicle. I'm doing this because I'm tired of pulling the bag out of one vehicle and forgetting to put it back or using a tool and not putting it back then it's always missing when you need it most.

So, if anyone is interested, and needs additional tools for their bags and doesn't want to buy Harbor Freight junk, I posted links to these in the 'Tools and Fab' section, but I'll also post here, too --- there's an ebay seller liquidating a lot of quality 70s and 80s vintage American, Taiwanese, Japanese vintage tools (think Montgomery Wards stuff from that era) and they're perfect for the get-me-home-kits. I've bought a bunch, plus most of them come in the old skool metal boxes which I much prefer to the crap blow-molded plastic, as you can stuff additional bits into the box that's not really possible with the plastic.

This is just one of the sets. You'll have to search through the seller's store for anything that appeals to you.

Last edited:
I don't call it a get home kit but I carry these bags with me basically everywhere

KIMG1159.JPG

KIMG1163.JPG

KIMG1161.JPG

KIMG1160.JPG

KIMG1171.JPG

Pouch I missed, guess I do have some other random bits here in addition to the stuff I remembered being there.

KIMG1205.JPG

I have to go through mine and pare down the tools. I installed a smittybilt? box in the cargo area and now its filled up with way too much stuff.

20200913_213126.jpg

It may be worth mentioning I wrench on stuff so the more of the basics I already have decreases the likelihood of being s.o.l. out on a field call (on the occasion I get conned into that) if I only need to remember to bring any "specialty" tools I may need. Also, I've daily driven junk most of my life so started carrying tools in highschool and added to the collection as I've not had something I needed along the way. The blue bag was a game changer on my mobile tool storage, scored 4 of em used at auction. They're old EMS emergency responder bags and allow you to fit 10 gallons of s*** into a 5 gallon bucket. As a bonus, it's now so heavy it's nearly un-stealable without a forklift.

I have to go through mine and pare down the tools. I installed a smittybilt? box in the cargo area and now its filled up with way too much stuff.

View attachment 2954913
Check out some bags like the blue one I have pictured, maybe could find one that'd fit in the box? I was AMAZED how much less space my crap took up with this bag. I actually added more to the collection after getting it and it still took up way less space than my previous pile of cases and random boxes/bags.

Yeah, I have a couple smittybilt bags that came with the box that are pretty handy.

D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom