What do foreign cruisers look like? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
And by foreign, I mean countries that don't use English alphabet. I got to thinking that the exterior trimming, steering wheel, shift levers, wiper switches, and even valve covers have English characters on them. Are there cruisers that have, for example, Japanese characters in these places? Never seen it on the imports but surely a Japanese vehicle in Japan wouldnt have English lettering?

"Land Cruiser" badging on the vehicle isn't translated into a local language. It says "Land Cruiser" in English. Numbers also aren't translated. A "2" is a 2 everywhere on the vehicle. Most buttons & knobs are identified with icons, so no translation required. The fuse panel door sticker has both Japanese and English labels & maybe another language in another country, but that's just a sticker.
The 2F or 3F 1FZFE or whatever the engine is, is what it is. No translation.

Some came with awesome rear doors!
98EE84F4-A9DB-4DD7-BDC4-8AE575F69E42.jpeg

Depends on the market. Like @OSS said, everything for the most part is printed in English, or usually with an image, no text.

As far as what they looked like, they had a number of trim packages we never received, vinyl and carpet, sunroofs, diesels, full float axles, Cable lockers, 5spd factory, sliding quarter windows, ambulance doors, fog lights, the list is long.

The only stuff in Japanese on my HJ61 is the PTO/4 wheel drive instructions on the glove box the weight limits on the back of the vehicle and I believe the fuses are as well.

All the switches are still English. Windows, mirrors, all the buttons for the clock as well.

It would be too expensive to cater to each market it was sold in changing everything.

I'm originally from the Netherlands and we use the Dutch language. Anything I have ever seen printed on any car of any vintage is in English, including Toyota's. I assume that the Landcruiser is no different there.

Unless you live where those doors are standard. Then you think the hatch/tailgate setup is awesome.
LOL we always want what we can't have. Like, for some bizarre reason some Australians like overpriced Jeeps, Fords and Dodges.

Unless you live where those doors are standard. Then you think the hatch/tailgate setup is awesome.
I think the tailgate is absolutely awesome and it is one of the reasons to have bought a LC. It is perfect for lumber hauling!

This is very interesting. I guess most of the world see's the importance of a universal language, and we Americans just volunteered English to be the one for whatever reason. I feel a little entitled now...

I think the Brits may have more responsibility for the development and export of the English language than the US...

Last edited:
But the US dollar is the worlds reserve currency so used everywhere. I see that changing soon but dont get me going...

In Finland everything is in English except for the instruction sticker on drivers door for diff locks. That is in Finnish.

And I have to admit that I think those barn doors in the rear are ugly, very ugly. So I am happy that we have lift up tailgate in ours.

Jdm transfer and pto instructions.
The tire size sticker is also in Japanese pretty sure that's all though.

IMG_20191116_120517_resize_53.jpg

Last edited:
And I have to admit that I think those barn doors in the rear are ugly, very ugly. So I am happy that we have lift up tailgate in ours.
I too don't like barn door but it isn't because how they look. I would hate to lose the functionality of a tailgate. It's a bench seat, a table, a work surface, etc. So darn useful. Barn doors aren't useful at all.

I too don't like barn door but it isn't because how they look. I would hate to lose the functionality of a tailgate. It's a bench seat, a table, a work surface, etc. So darn useful. Barn doors aren't useful at all.
I don't know about that, you can put fold down tables on the inside of barn doors so you instantly have a kitchen cooking space. Inside the door is storage space when you fold down the table to open it up. I find the drop down tailgate pretty useless, and it restricts you from accessing your overlanding gear inside the back of the vehicle. You can't use it for much of a table because then you're leaning over your food to get at stuff in the vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom