What did you do to your pig today? (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

full tune up, valve lash, still had miss, checked plugs, found #2 fowled, checked compression, found 140ish(=/- 4)psi in 1,3,4,5,6- and 75 in 2:mad: added oil and got 170:mad::mad::mad:, told the missus. she took it really well:lol: I'd better stay awake tonite:eek: if I want to still be a man tomorrow

she's more upset about the time than the money, which is an improvement in the :princess:/cruiser/:wrench: relationship.( I was approaching a point of being done with the major wrenching...)

Gunna hafta order the ring and bearing set tomorrow, and take the spare block to the cleaners. hopefully it will accept a de-glaze and new rings on the old pistons:rolleyes:; I would do just the one slug in the motor in question, but it seems like I ought to do them all:mad:

Lambcrusher,

Just as soon as you get the ring job done, you'll start pulling oil past the valve seals. Might as well figure in doing a full valve job, too.

How many miles on the cam? main bearings, etc.

You know it's true, if you're going that far, do the whole thing, good to go for many years. If not, then just drop the one piston and get you by for awhile, maybe a long while. :meh:

That's my 2 cents

almost done at the body shop yay!!!!

fj repair.jpg

fj repair front.jpg

fj repair rear 1.jpg

dropped the block off at the machinist. 020 pistons, rings, pins, rod, main, thrust and cam bearings, freeze plugs, cam plug, crank polish all washed and magged with new pistons on rods and all plugs in place, cleaned and re-sealed galleys, done by friday...$890. delta cam, lifters and new cam gear not included. and no gaskets yet.
You're right, Ron. Thanks for the boot in the rear. I'll do the head up too with chebby SS valves and de-shrouded chambers too keep the compression ratio lower. maybe I'll get by on lower octane fuel...
it was supposed to last me till a diesel swap, or at least till all the other gearboxes/bearings/engine driven accessories and power steering were done, but I know I'll feel better about things when I get the new motor into the rig. :meh: maybe I can use it for the 2FE into the 62 when a diesel finds its way into my garage

oHMY...I knew it was cold....it's SNOWING

Now, that's what I'm talk'n about!

BTW...the 55 Ebrake pull is not enough to utilize the 80s style ebrake(guessing it would be the same for the 60s style...)I ended up cutting in an 80 series ebrake handle and boy howdy does it grab. It ended up on the drivers side between the door and seat- not ideal, but my chicken bone arms can get at it...the factory cable isn't long enough to bring it all the way to the shifter area. one day, I will extend the cable, relocate the handle, and patch the floor.:meh:

BTW...the 55 Ebrake pull is not enough to utilize the 80s style ebrake(guessing it would be the same for the 60s style...)I ended up cutting in an 80 series ebrake handle and boy howdy does it grab. It ended up on the drivers side between the door and seat- not ideal, but my chicken bone arms can get at it...the factory cable isn't long enough to bring it all the way to the shifter area. one day, I will extend the cable, relocate the handle, and patch the floor.:meh:

Lambcrusher,

Are you saying the stock 80 cable was long enough to mount the handle, where you did. I was thinking of that spot, because I would like a console and didn't know if I could fit the handle in the middle.

Do you know of a company, who makes longer custom cables?

Lambcrusher,

Are you saying the stock 80 cable was long enough to mount the handle, where you did. I was thinking of that spot, because I would like a console and didn't know if I could fit the handle in the middle.

Do you know of a company, who makes longer custom cables?

it is the stock fj80 cable...the very tip of the handle comes about even to the leading edge of the seat mount curb. custom cables:hmm:look to the aviation industry.....

Didn't do anything with my 55 today, but yesterday Colorado Land Cruisers had our first monthly meeting over at Red Line and got to really check out the rigs they are working on.

Spent a bunch of time with Justin looking over the 55 they are taking to Moab this year. If you're in the area, you've got to check out their new shop. SOOOOOO many cool projects going on over there.

Started it and drove it to work.

ForumRunner_20130419_194821.jpg

It needed to stretch its legs after sitting for a month or more:

White Trash of the Elwood Chapter, TORC4x4.org, Cottonland Cruisers.

ForumRunner_20130419_194821.jpg

Washed off the dust, checked the fluids and filled up with gas. Plan to drive to the Stockton LC Swap meet tomorrow.

I took the driver side front and rear door panels off and pulled out the sliders that used to hold the windows that someone shot out with a bob gun...I'm beyond pissed

My oldest boy wants to work on the piggy this weekend. We had so much going on yesterday, the piggy got neglected. So today I had him pull out the battery box, strip it down with a wire wheel, primer and paint it. . . All the while I was trying to adjust brakes. Got them to only take 1.5 pumps to be firm and they hold pressure. Think I need to get them with a hair more drag.... Then need to tackle the e-brake. Also hooked up the speedo the PO left hanging. Dead battery so we couldn't test the function... Will post pics tomorrow...

add a click of tension to each star wheel adjusters on the rear wheel cylinders. there should be drag-it seems like more than you would expect, the brakes will center themselves and wear in to be "adjusted" after a few trips around the block and a few cycles of the system.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom