What battery is everyone running? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really like Deka/East Penn Manufacturing. They're sold under other brand names. My primary is a Deka/East Penn sold under the Duracell brand by BatteriesPlus.
What type of battery

There is a pretty good battery thread going on in the 200 section regarding lithium ion batteries.

Basically, stock charging systems on 80s, 100s, and 200s are not compatible with lithium ion, and not ideal with AGM. The most reliable, cost effective battery is going to be a flooded lead acid, and just plan on replacing it every 3-5 years. Only advantage of AGM is they deep cycle a bit better if you are running a fridge and accessories off of your main battery.

Li is very energy dense and can be repeatedly discharged to 10% without harming it. They make a great second battery if you can justify the cost. But there are some big temperature limitations (they do not like temps below 32* and most cannot be charged below certain temps, even with a BMS).
That being said what are y’all doing to maintain an agm start battery? And someone said they use to yellow tops? Optima recommend yellow top if a winch is hooked up

That being said what are y’all doing to maintain an agm start battery? And someone said they use to yellow tops? Optima recommend yellow top if a winch is hooked up

Hook it up to a battery tender once a month for a day or two. I need to do this regardless as my FZJ80 does not get driven on a regular basis.

I use an 31M X2Power from Batteries Plus for my truck starter and electronics and the Dometic fridge in the back.
In my trailer to power ARB fridge and some lights and minor stuff, I will use a Li 100ah battery with a DC-DC charger and I am also planning a smaller solar system for longer stays

Costco interstate batteries for my dual setup.
Same here. It will be 4 years in May without a single issue and no indication there will be one for quite some time. I do however, plug my rig into a Noco Genius battery charger if it will sit for more than a day or two.

Hook it up to a battery tender once a month for a day or two. I need to do this regardless as my FZJ80 does not get driven on a regular basis.

Same here. It will be 4 years in May without a single issue and no indication there will be one for quite some time. I do however, plug my rig into a Noco Genius battery charger if it will sit for more than a day or two.

I try and put the second battery on the float charger every so often as well since the cruiser only gets driven 1-2 times per week.

What type of battery
Wet cell, standard size. I've used their AGMs in my motorcycle, which is how I first heard of them. Ten years on a neglected AGM that would go months without use and rarely saw a battery tender. I finally replaced it just because I wanted to see a higher resting voltage, even though it was still cranking and charging fine.

I use an 31M X2Power from Batteries Plus for my truck starter and electronics and the Dometic fridge in the back.
In my trailer to power ARB fridge and some lights and minor stuff, I will use a Li 100ah battery with a DC-DC charger and I am also planning a smaller solar system for longer stays
Not available per batteries plus via phone

Not available per batteries plus via phone
I was head to Denver and ordered mine on line and went and picked it up. I ordered two weeks before I would be there and then called the store with the order number and they kept it for me until I got there.

So the optimas are readily available near me. Any differences using a red top vs a yellow top for cranking? Can you use both? Red start. Yellow house? Which sizes and groups?

This is the ideal setup, at least as far as intended use goes. Although yellowtops crank just fine as well.

I simply use a battery tender when not in use. Although I've been daily driving the truck lately, they work just fine. I use the yellow top as a crank battery precisely because I have the winch. Also, having two matching batteries, in my mind, should be better when charging both at the same time? But that's just a possible benefit in an uneducated mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom