what are the repercussions of trespassing while wheeling (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I occasionally see areas usually near power lines where people 4 wheel or ride quads. I have been tempted to go explore the woods in some of these areas. If i was caught and it was a illegal area what would be the repercussion? Is it just a ticket like a speeding ticket or is it a impound and an arrest? I dont plan on making it a habit or going and tearing up a bunch of mud holes. Bt ocasionally it would be fun to follow some trails or explore some local woods following dirt bike trails.

I occasionally see areas usually near power lines where people 4 wheel or ride quads. I have been tempted to go explore the woods in some of these areas. If i was caught and it was a illegal area what would be the repercussion? Is it just a ticket like a speeding ticket or is it a impound and an arrest? I dont plan on making it a habit or going and tearing up a bunch of mud holes. Bt ocasionally it would be fun to follow some trails or explore some local woods following dirt bike trails.

The law is if u trespass u pay a fine for your first offense. Second offense u will be arrested and have to get bailed out. Maybe this helps...

http://law.onecle.com/georgia/16/16-7-21.html

We have power lines here that are posted that we ride and have never even been told it was posted or to leave or anything. (dont do as i do)... Only ride here bc we have been for years. And it used daily by ALOT of ppl .

Now some ppl are just waiting for u to trespass and they are fast to jump on you and call the police. Other folks may see that u are a nice guy who is just riding and respecting there land. They may say plz don't come back or have some let u ride or hunt as long as you ain't tearing up there land.. But most won't like u on there land after they took all that time to post all those signs up and keeps there land maintained just for somebody to come tear it all up. If u trespass u will get caught!! So be careful and smart. I say pay the money to wheel at a park or ask permission to use land! At the end of the day tho it's there property and they just don't want strangers running all around on there land. I didn't get it till I got my own land. You ride a bike on my property I shoot first ask later!!! So keep in mind what the land owner has to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone back on the road.

Last edited:
I hope this doesn't turn into "one of those threads" but this has been a hot button topic on other forums many times.

There are 2 issues at hand; 1) the legality and 2) the perception left upon others.

The legality as best I understand it to be is this (in short form): Traversing on power/pipe lines is considered trespassing and thus illegal unless you have written permission (in hand) from the land owner(s) whether they be a person, corporation or public entity. If caught the ramifications can be anything from a simple warning to vehicle impounding and very hefty fines. Just depends on where you were being a dick and who caught you.

The perception mostly seems to be "what a douche!" but unfortunately it is tolerated by some, personally I subscribe to first opinion! Trespassing on private properties simply should not be tolerated. It ultimately leads to land closures and the general public thinking we're a bunch of Budweiser-drinkin-Bubbas that don't give a shart about property rights and land conservation. How many places have been shut down the last few years????

This is the extremely short version of an otherwise long topic. I understand the temptation but frankly, that's just no excuse! I'd rather not be lumped in with an ass who decides to ride other ppls properties illegally just b/c they're too damned lazy to do the right thing.

So, in other words as i was recently told "Don't be a dick." :cheers:

Last edited:
P.S. just to be clear on how I heard all those answers I stated above... To clear me from the douche club lol... We hog hunt and we hunt land we only have permission to hunt. But with that said some nights the dogs will take out on the next property over that we don't have permission to be on. When this happens by law I can go on the property to retrieve my dogs. I can not carry a weapon or I be busted for hunting/trespassing. If there is a house on the land we go knock on the door to tell them what we are doing. But by law he can't stop me from retrieving my animal. Atleast that's what a cop told us and land owner 1 night we did that. We knew that b4 cop got called btw... We are no beer drinking bubbas well we are but we respect other ppl things. Sorry my post have been long ! Don't want y'all thinking I'm that douche lol

Sorry guys. I really did not mean to make any problems. I am new to this so part of why i was asking is to avoid making problems.

Sorry guys. I really did not mean to make any problems. I am new to this so part of why i was asking is to avoid making problems.

No problems bud we are all here to help. And give our opinions.

I know Ted but it was worth a shot lol.

You arent causing problems, just mentioning a topic that has been discussed quite a few times. If you do a search about the topic, you will find some threads that have your answers, or just ask your local law enforcement.

There are many people in the off road community, the Georgia Cruisers specifically, that have spent countless days cleaning up trails, going to community meeting, etc., trying to make a good name for our sport. These people take great offense to others that go out and do illegal riding and destroy all the hard work that others have done. The Georgia Cruisers today do not condone illegal riding of power line trails or anything else of its sort. As tempting as it looks, I would much rather not ride on those trails to help keep the legal ones open.

We have a club ride this weekend at Adventure off-road. If you want to wheel, that is the best way to do it. :steer:

you've not caused any problems at all, instead, maybe created an opportunity to educate the unknown reader that visits. Fact is, the word "trespassing" in the original question pretty much answered any further doubts one might've had.

Since you're new you've not been exposed to the fund raisers for attorneys and volunteer days at public OHVs and property closures due to littering and abuse and and and and and and and.... The goal is to set the example. off soap box. :bang:

As a former park ranger - I bet you guys didn't know that did you? - There were various charges we used in Virginia from operating a vehicle in an area not designated which was a class 4 misdemeanor, trespassing which was a class 1 misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2500 fine and was an arrestable offense, and then we could add a destruction of public property charge that could be an additional class 1 misdemeanor or a felony depending on the amount of damage. We never seized vehicles for forfeiture but we would tow them if we made an arrest. A tow from some muddy fire road some place is not cheap. :D

When I became a cop I mostly worked in an urban area but if we caught someone tearing up a school yard we usually threw the book at them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom