Weird oil issue FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys ! So i have a 97 40th anniversary with 119k miles on it. About a few days ago I noticed the oil light come on for two seconds then went off. I pulled home, checked the oil. FULL ON OIL ! Very weird. My oil pressure on a cold start is on 3/4.. Once warmed up 1/4.. After awhile while driving around at a red light lets say .. Drops to L .. Driving at 2k rpm warmed up at a hairline over 1/4 .. Is this normal ? Oil light will come on at random ( when driving) then shut off a few seconds later. My truck is in tip top shape so really have no idea what this is. My guess is that I need a new oil pressure sender ? Please advise ..

Just making sure,you're checking your oil after the truck has been sitting for at least 30 mins to an hour, right?

With a FZJ80 when the orange oil level indicator light comes on and goes back off it indicates you are getting close to being one quart low of engine oil. When it comes on and stays on you are one quart or more low. The low oil level indicator light is independant of the oil pressure gauge.

Have you noticed if on a cold start the oil pressure spikes to near the third line from the bottom, then gets lower as the engine warms up, or does it stay low on a cold start?

Last edited:
I just picked up a 97 collectors edition and mind is doing the exact same thing. Very intermittent, might come on 2-3 times in a 30 minute drive and stay on for only a few seconds or might stay on for 5 minutes. Sometimes it won't come on at all in a 30 minute drive. Oil level is always right on the full mark. This is my 3rd 80 and it's the first time I've ever had the oil light come on that it wasn't the typical quart low where I could add a quart and keep it off for several thousand miles.

I am pretty sure the light you are seeing is a level light. The sensor in the sump gets gummed up, often it can drop perhaps after pulling away and stay down for a few seconds. I have seen this a lot on daily drivers that do short runs, say 10 miles per day or less. The oil gets claggy with condensation and the sensor gets sticky. The oil pressure gauge is also known to be flaky, of course check the level after the engine had stood for a few minutes.

Readings from the gauge can be worrying, I spent time calibrating the sender and gauge, I also put a 'T' in the block and fed the gauge from one side and used an oil pressure light switch in the other side. One of the new dashboard indicators I recently fitted are used to indicate low pressure. So, in effect three warnings about what is going on in the sump.

If you have recently changed the oil then a new level switch may be in order, if a change is due then try that first with a new filter of course.

regards

Dave

I recently replaced the gasket on my low level sensor due to a leak. Only took a few minutes and allowed me to clean it thoroughly. You might try pulling yours and cleaning.

Agreed: level sensor. You can see it on the driver's side of the engine way down on the upper pan (aluminum). I don't have a picture handy, but my HG thread has a clear picture of the part.
That's what you get with those super low mile 80's! Gotta run 'em.

Hey guys and thanks for the amazing responses! Im due for an oil change and will see if thats the culprit ( I change it every 3k miles) I checked the oil level over night ( FULL ) and after a long hour drive , still ( FULL). I popped open yhe hood and looked at the oil pressure sender and noticed the wires to be dorty and my pressure sender rusty but all looked intact.. Should i clean the connections with electrical contact cleaner ? Or is this not even the issue at hand ? Thanks again guys

Just read up on this .. So its the oil level sensor on the driver side block .. Actually makes alot more sense.. Anyways I could pull that out and clean it or would the best thing to do is buy a new one ?
Agreed: level sensor. You can see it on the driver's side of the engine way down on the upper pan (aluminum). I don't have a picture handy, but my HG thread has a clear picture of the part.
That's what you get with those super low mile 80's! Gotta run 'em.

Good to hear you change the oil every 3k but, is that because it takes you six months to do that mileage? At your next change pull the sensor and clean in paraffin. refit with new gasket/RTV and give it a go.

regards

Dave

Sensor @ lower right hand corner of both pics below. The bottom pic plastic male end is broken off, its just below the wiring harness to the right of the dip stick tube
IMG_0445.jpg
IMG_0206.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom