Webasto Heater in swapped 1hdt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I have an 80 series and have swapped in a 1hd-t, I have now moved to PEI Canada where it is damn cold in the winter and am considering swapping in a Webasto heater. I have seen a couple of install threads but they are all installed in RHD cruisers which means I don't have the same amount of room on the fuel filter side of the engine (steering column and power brakes are in the way). Has anyone done a Webasto install on a LHD 1HDT cruiser?

I have limited tools at the moment so trying to fully understand the process before winter hits.

Also, is anyone selling a used Webasto heater by chance?

Thanks!
Rob

This is fantastic! thanks. Exactly my issue, @Rubiclone . Do you have any pictures of your finished install?

20180916_130014.jpg

I've been thinking of doing this same thing. There are a lot of those style diesel heaters sold on Amazon that have great reviews and very inexpensive. I think for the 80 a 5kwh or even 2 would suffice. Looking to add one for winter/cold camping. No more insane water vapor from the Mr. Buddy propane heaters.

Has anyone done a Webasto install on a LHD 1HDT cruiser?

I have limited tools at the moment so trying to fully understand the process before winter hits.

Also, is anyone selling a used Webasto heater by chance?

Hey Rob - I'm installing a TSL17 in my LHD HDT swap right now. This is the location I've settled on and where I'm at with the prototype bracket (will rebend V2):
PROTOTYPE.JPG

Bracket will use 3 legs mounted to installed riv-nuts. Mounting studs in pic are temporary.

The exhaust clearance was tricky as I didn't want to drill the fender (previous mistake - exhaust doesn't last long inside the fender). It will mount to the frame beside the engine exhaust and get wrapped.

Webasto will heat motor first by teeing into the heater core return side, so wanted to incorporate a one-way check valve. This valve will allow return coolant to bypass the Webasto when not in-use, increasing reliability and making isolation much easier for future servicing. Also had to purchase a new inlet pump housing which has a different angle for this specific location (stock would point into firewall). These are the parts used so far:
INSTALL PARTS.JPG

Fuel pump will mount to frame above tranny cross-member as in-tank pick-up was installed while swapping tanks. One could tee into fuel supply at tank as well with access under rear seat.

Highly recommend buying a new Webasto. Used has been a waste of $ for me in the past - parts are expensive and a new pump and service costs almost as much as new. YMMV

If this is out of your budget - I also installed an OEM block heater during engine rebuild for $60. Have to pull the turbo to access correct frost plug though. PM for part # (made in Canada!).

ZeroStart would be another cheap option to get you by. Personally have had zero success with external convection heaters unless installed in the Rad Outlet, which is a long term compromise IF you go remote or offroad much.

The bracket was a pretty complex design to handle offroad abuse. I can always have 2 bent this week if you need one....

Last edited:
Hey Shred, I am trying to picture exactly where this bracket is... along the firewall?

I assume TSL17 is the Thermo Top C (From what I can find online).

Definitely buying one new, they have them for $775 - $999 CAD new currently. The $999 one contains the "SmarTemp Control FX 2.0" too. What did you end up doing for that? Digital Timer or SmarTemp Control? Or REMOTE ability? Which would be awesome too.
According to Webasto's info flyer,

Thermo Top C 12V Diesel Kit Part No: 923369
Integrated Control Unit On/Off
Switch Fuel Metering Pump w/Mounting Bracket
Fuel Line Fuel Filter Universal Fuel Standpipe
Exhaust Tubing
Combustion Air Tubing
Wiring Harness w/ Fuse Holder
PC Interface Diagnostics Operation/Installation Manual
2 Year/2000 Hour Limited Warranty

Optional Accessories 7-Day Digital Timer (Engine Preheat) Part No. 906108A
Timer Mounting Frame (In Dash) Part No. 474630
Timer Mounting Bracket (Under Dash) Part No. 906218
Heater Mounting Bracket Part No. 901088

SmarTemp Control FX 2.0.png

Attachments

• Webasto-Brochure_web-0513.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 215
Last edited:
It fits well on the passenger fender close to the fire wall.

Yes - PS firewall like @mtntoys

The SmartTemp FX 2.0 is the one to get for hydronic. My current 7-day timer is too big so plan on trying the Swich-Pros for now. FX is the way to go though if you need the timer function.

I'm not interested in relying on cell service to call or text my truck for where I live and will eventually fork out for the Webasto remote which is good for 1km. Just not in the budget this year as I'm also working on the GF's shower install for next summer!

If you can wait another year, Webasto will be releasing the 12V ThermoPro 50 in Canada. I got to see the 24V at the dealer and talk to the Webasto Rep. This is a much improved design: smaller, easier to mount and service with more individual replacement wear parts available. The TSL17 (ThermoTop C) replacement parts just cost too much as only whole assemblies are available. Also all the ports are fixed making install a pain. The ThermoPro solves all these issues and is really compact - even the wiring harness is smaller and mounts to the bottom. Might be available for purchase in Europe now? I was impressed 🍺

Last edited:
Hey Shred, I am trying to picture exactly where this bracket is... along the firewall?

I assume TSL17 is the Thermo Top C (From what I can find online).

Definitely buying one new, they have them for $775 - $999 CAD new currently. The $999 one contains the "SmarTemp Control FX 2.0" too. What did you end up doing for that? Digital Timer or SmarTemp Control? Or REMOTE ability? Which would be awesome too.
According to Webasto's info flyer,

View attachment 2119116

Not to derail this conversation too badly, but where are you finding one of these units for $775? That's an awfully tempting price to jump on with winter around the corner.

Not to derail this conversation too badly, but where are you finding one of these units for $775? That's an awfully tempting price to jump on with winter around the corner.

Glover-Ace.com

Price is definitely tempting. Wonder if it's worth the extra $ for the Webasto timer or if you could just hook a cheap timer or remote control to the on/off.

That's what I paid for mine from Eskimo (ColdFront). I've got a Webasto lighted on/off switch you can have for free. The benefit compared to a regular switch being that it will blink for reading error codes (brown wire)....

Last edited:
Glover-Ace.com

Price is definitely tempting. Wonder if it's worth the extra $ for the Webasto timer or if you could just hook a cheap timer or remote control to the on/off.

Thanks!

I was thinking of installing a simple off delay timer that could be triggered by the trunk button on my remote starter. Push the button, let it run the heater up to 2 hours or something as long as the built in tstat is happy. The intended controller might be worth the money to avoid any hassle though.

Yeah, though it would be nice to have remote start so you could turn it on outside of your "normal" start times.

Got a quote for the SmartTemp control from Glover Ace too, $205 CAD.

That's a good price - cheapest FX I found was $150 + shipping from EU. You won't regret the timer if your use is on a schedule. Not sure I'll need one with a block heater on a timer for at home.

Last edited:
Got the low down on the timer from Ian. The old model, 1531, is plug and play compatible with the TSL17 and has a "remote trigger wire" that when grounded manually turns on the Webasto. You could trigger it via any method, such as a remote fob...

The new ones don't have that trigger wire functionality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom