WD40 Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
To those of you who do a lot of work on your vehicles, this is a very silly question. To me, it is an unknown, so I am asking anyways....

How long before trying to unbolt a bolt do you want to use WD40 or alternate products? A few minutes, a day, a week?

I have WD40. Is there an alternate product you use that is better?

I am planning on doing a drain and fill of the differentials this weekend because it is going to be finally above zero here. Wanted to make sure that something little like this does not make me postpone my plans.

One day is good, couple of days and a couple of aplications is better.
Alternate: PB Blaster, I have not used it myself, but some people in this forum think its better.

Thanks mtycruiser,

That helps.

WD40 is not a serious penetrating fluid for rusted parts. It's not a serious lube either...

Kroil or PB Blaster. Several days best.

oh, and you know about the old saw "be sure to take off the fill plug first", right?

Sili-Kroil is the best........I've also had great success wit plain old kerosene.

I used PB Blaster on a Jeep with 16 year old weathered bolts, and y'all know how rusty those can be:rolleyes: , and it was excellent.

Started spraying 2 days before the project.

Matt

PB Blaster works to loosen bolts.

WD-40 displaces water and kills squeaks for awhile.

PB blaster and kroil are great stuff. Most bolts/nuts you certainly don't have to apply the stuff way in advance. I usually just give it a couple of minutes to soak in.

I am gonna try to find either the pb blaster or the kroll then.

Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate it.

S'OK is great stuff & smells good also. But it's hard to find.

Kroil is excellent, cost is fairly high & also hard to locate except via the internet. My # 1 choice, if I plan ahead. Buy it by the gallon. Can never have to much.

PB blaster , in my opinion is also excellent & most importantly, easily found. In my neck of the woods, can be found at most auto parts stores & best of all, at every Walmart. If you can't wait for Kroil & you need it now, PB Blaster is a great choice.

A big help with these rusted bolts in our older rigs is to get in the habit of always applying anti-sieze to each and every bolt you remove....always, every time. Makes life a lot easier down the road.

John

I believe that you will find that it is far cheaper to buy direct from KanoLabs than to purchase through companies such as Eastwood or even eBay. I just place a purchase with them and a gallon of Kroil was $31.50 ($45.00 on eBay) and the cost of a gallon of SiliKroil was $35.00 ($62 at Eastwood).
The 16 oz sprays are $13.00
Kano Labs, Kroil Oil

Do you guys use Lanolin based penatrating oil.I am currently striping an EK Holden aka 57 Chev and have'nt had one bolt play up yet.We have more sheep than people so lanolin is in abundance,I also use it in the hull of my boat to stop corrosion.

Kroil is the best.

The Toyota Penetrating Lubricant (nickame is Toyopeen) is also very good.

A combination of the two above is nearly magic.

WD40 is nearly worthless as a penetrating lubricant. PB Blaster and it's ilk are better, but not even close to Kroil and Toyopeen. I live in the rust belt and use Kroil nearly daily. I've tried every other penetrating oil on the market. I now only use my old cans WD40 and PB Blaster to treat my garden implements before winter storage to keep them from rusting.

As to time, about 50% of the time I am successful immediately if I spray on some degreaser or brake cleaner, wire brush the fitting to clean off rust and gain an access point for the penetrating oil, then apply both Kroil and Toyopeen.

If I'm not successful immediately, I apply more Kroil and Toyopeen and wait 10 minutes, then one hour, one day, and one week with daily applications. 90% of the time I am successful within one week.

You can accelerate the process with heat. Heat up the fitting with a torch, then try again with the whole process.

Two more pearls:

When you reassemble, use antiseize on every single bolt and nut that goes back in. It will prevent you from needing penetrating oil ever again on that fitting.

Buy the Kroil directly from http://www.kanolabs.com Look for their current sale or deal. There always is one, and it will usually make up for their high shipping costs.

:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom