Waterbogged FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went into a deeper than normal bogpit today around 3 cm above the door seals. Water went into the front and back seats but didn't do must to any of the mechanics. Though, a few strange things did happen when I was reversing out (still have the snorkel sitting in the garage I really should've put on).

Firstly, the horn just went on and wouldn't shut off. Turned the car off and wouldn't turn back on. I disconnected the battery a few times and after a while, weplayed around with the interiors with the horn just blaring. The "security" light came on (the one above the thermostat buttons) and we sat around trying to turn it around without success.
Suddenly, after 3 minutes, the horn shut off and were able to turn on the engine. Drove off the trail and home at above 100kmph.

However, right now, when the key is off the ignition, there is a quieter beep that happens, the door lock always says that the door is open and it continues to try and unlock and lock the car doors while driving. The horn doesn't work now and the security light isn't coming off either.

How big of an issue are any of these besides being a minor annoyance and the horn being a "security" illegality?

1997 Lexus LX450 - 3 inch OME lift
Thanks in advance for your answer.

If sealed up properly a snorkel will only protect the air intake but not the electrically. 80's are Not submarines. As these rigs get older, the body weather seals and electrical connectors become more and more vulnerable to water exposure. Dry up all related electrical connectors with compressed air, heat gun, hair dryer, whatever you have handy. Apply di-electric grease to connectors to reduce chance of repeating the same problems.

Did the area under the driver's seat get flooded?

If you submerged the RS3000 security system (black box) under the seat then all those symptoms you mention (horn, beeps, starter immobilizer, security light) could all be the result of that box getting wet. If that is the case, try drying it out and see where you are. IIRC, in stock configuration, the truck will not run without that box plugged in.

I'd do the norm, pull up the carpet at least up front & pull the body drain plugs there by the A pillar door base - then prop the rugs up a bit with anything handy (screwdrivers, chopsticks, the drawer of silverware) - then get a space heater with a small blower so you can dry it out.

Sounds like you got the RS3000 & got it wet - like mentioned, hairdryer.

I'd bank on needing a Battery Tender or the lowest amp setting @ 12v you have on your charger, that battery is going to have a draw on it until all the water dries.

Or at a minimum don't be amazed if it needs a jumpstart in the next few days.

As these rigs get older, the body weather seals and electrical connectors become more and more vulnerable to water exposure.
Worth triple sealing the doors or is it better to just avoid deep water as a whole (or just within the speakers)

Did the area under the driver's seat get flooded?

If you submerged the RS3000 security system (black box) under the seat then all those symptoms you mention (horn, beeps, starter immobilizer, security light) could all be the result of that box getting wet.
Driver's passenger's and rear back seats were flooded. The passenger got a good photos of coffee cups floating in the mud water and I strapped the carpets to the roof rack on the way home to "dry" them off.

Why the hell'd they even put carpets in these things> lol

Sounds like you got the RS3000 & got it wet - like mentioned, hairdryer.

I'd bank on needing a Battery Tender or the lowest amp setting @ 12v you have on your charger, that battery is going to have a draw on it until all the water dries.

Alright so far I have:
-Horn that doesn't work [anymore]
-Lights are on all the time
-Electric door lockers will only lock but CANNOT UNLOCK
-Right front axle knuckle that occasionally just starts screeching at me
-A clanging sound coming from the knuckles when I turn
-When I put it in 'P', it still rolls down or up hills. Have to now use the E-Brake to safely park
-The cabin all wet
oh and the Rear diff. lock not working

So I should:
-dry out the RS3000. Can't I just rip this f*cking thing out and wire in something else? What's the porpoise of this thing anyway?
-check the connexions to the horn and try to get that road worthy again
-Dry everything out by full blasting heat with the engine running?
-get the e-doors checked??
-Get the brakes checked?

I'm gonna go power was this thing with the engine on full blast now.

Driver's passenger's and rear back seats were flooded. The passenger got a good photos of coffee cups floating in the mud water and I strapped the carpets to the roof rack on the way home to "dry" them off.
Ah might as well get some pictures of these.

wat lel.jpg
wat lol.jpg

You now get the site name.
Heck, I fully admit I do **maybe** 5 short trips in winter, and easily twice that from late June - mid Oct. Eff mud, eff water crossings.

Yes, I'd unplug the RS3000 if not for any other reason than dry it out.

And really lifting the carpets lets the horsehair/jute mat dry - and a good ~12hrs with a real space heater & the sunroof vented & windows cracked gets the humidity out fast. I learned the same way you did about this with that LX450.

I "baptized" that thing about as much as Moses did some Egyptian soldiers.

And I bet you clogged the vents to the pumkins, or solidly washed the connecters to that e-locker indicator. You'll get familiar with the dielectric/lithium grease & a air compressor real quick. You got yerself a project.

That mud bog did a lot of weird things. Your 'Mud avatar even flipped upside down!

That mud bog did a lot of weird things. Your 'Mud avatar even flipped upside down!

"W" -for 'waterlogged'.

@OP - might as well pull the seats & take up the front half carpet at this point, if the water got all the way back to the midseat footwell. Esp if there was skunk cabbage growing near that mini-pond.

Your carpets need a good clear water hosedown, maybe some shampoo or Febreeze - otherwise it'll have a bad funk probably to early/mid Summer. Plus you can dry the interior & hang dry the carpet right.

Your carpets need a good clear water hosedown, maybe some shampoo or Febreeze - otherwise it'll have a bad funk probably to early/mid Summer. Plus you can dry the interior & hang dry the carpet right.
Ah damn. I wanted to avoid that as much as possible. Might as well do it instead of just chucking coffee grounds on it to mask and absorb smells. How I dry vehicle's interiors is I pour some 100% alcohol (I have some access to 20+ litres a day at work) into my vehicle by the tubload and blast the heat for 2 hours. It completely removes any water stain since it drastically lowers the boiling point of the water. Though, it will still leave organic residue around which can then grow mould (or a tree with the amount of mud caked into this thing right now)

Funny thing is I bought a carpet replacement for my Ferd Ranger a year ago and mudding is reason I've avoided putting it in.

Yes, I'd unplug the RS3000 if not for any other reason than dry it out.

I "baptized" that thing about as much as Moses did some Egyptian soldiers.
Apparently the RS unit is what a lot of Yodas have in that time. It also seems weird to modify and a bitch to just operate. A few questions on that thing:
If I remove the RS3000, can I just drive around without it? Or is that something I should maybe triplebag for future "issues"?
Is the RS3000 the door locking thing that is causing my doors to only be able to lock but not unlock?
Is it the connexion to the horn which is not allowing me to operate the horn right now?
Can I fire a .223 green tip through it and still have it operation?

Honestly, I know nothing about the RS3000 - I have a best friend who runs the town high-end car stereo shop, and we trade my welding for his electronics.

He yarded out the RS3000 in my old 450 & I had a perfectly working one in the 40th I owned (and never ran more than a fresh logging/DNR road on, had a easy life) - so all I know is there was a resistor or diode down in the seat area, but beyond that all the new alarm stuff went in the footwell.

As much as a 62 gr 5.56 round solves many things, I can't say this is one. It may, I just refrain from AR solutions to FZJ problems.

A few well placed ones may help drain the floorpans, if you're a Crocidile Dundee / Jeremy _____ (Top Gear) -type ;)

That alchohol might kill all microbes in the water & kill the 'funk' - but not sure what the insulation on the wires will have to say about "getting drunk".

You'll either be a champ or in hindsight know it was the source of a floor harness R & R. (Been there too, not the worst thing).

If you have a good cigar while running the alcohol through it, it will resolve the carpet mud and stink issue as well as many others........

Just remove the RS3000. Mine started freaking out after it got wet, then became a major battery drain. You MUST remove the entire plug-in harness from the entire system. If you just put a bullet in it, it will remain disabled. You can certainly put a bullet or 7 through it once it's out!

Also, pull the DS kick panel and pull out all the plugs in there, as they run all your windows as well. Unplug them and install some dielectric grease and out them back together to help "waterproof" them for future. They tend to corrode anyway due to sunroof drain leakage. If you remove your RS3000, you will have to pull those plugs out anyway.

I'd disconnect the battery and then do everything that's been mentioned earlier. Same as dunking your smartphone in the water, remove batt then dry the components inside. Except in this case, you gotta deal with stinky carpet and padding on top of everything.

For future dunkings, duct tape all doors shut before going into amphibious mode!!! Caca pasa as they say!!!

Last edited:
I'd disconnect the battery and then do everything that's been mentioned earlier. Same as dunking your smartphone in the water, remove batt then dry the components inside. Except in this case, you gotta deal with stinky carpet and pad

I did drop my BlackBerry in the carpet water when I revsersed into a tree if that counts.
Might have to buy a new one of these as well, heh

gonna get started with all your recommendations! Which cigar do I shoot first?

IMG_20170515_190943.jpg

Does anyone have a thread link in which it shows the correct disconnection?
I've been pulling and pushing connexions and driving me insane

IMG_20170515_195754.jpg

... (still have the snorkel sitting in the garage I really should've put on).

Well, there us your problem! Mud knowledge says, if you have a Chinese dorkel you can cross anything, none of this would have happened!:hillbilly:

The first thing I would check is the ATF for pink death, if contaminated, flush it ASAP, takes ~20qt. Auto trans don't like water needs to be dealt with soon/now. Then check diffs, transfer, etc.

The first thing I would check is the ATF for pink death, if contaminated, flush it ASAP, takes ~20qt. Auto trans don't like water needs to be dealt with soon/now. Then check diffs, transfer, etc.
Well the engine wouldn't sound like it was struggling for dear life as I almost certainly felt a cylinder misfire. Also, we don't have the ATF here. They're called the RCMP and believe it or not can get more anal about guns.

Trans fluid checks are a good idea. It's front knuckle rebuild time soon anyway... Just gotta find the time and the 10 rolls of s***ty paper. Oh also, I just realised. I should check my automatic transmission fluid, too :cautious:

Does anyone have a thread link in which it shows the correct disconnection?
I've been pulling and pushing connexions and driving me insane
Anyone know exactly what to pull on this 3000? I may actually consider just getting a new unit and taping it to the roof. The research I did whilst looking at how to remove it makes me want to keep it around for future reference.

Right now, she's just parked on the street with the battery disconnected.

This thread has the makings of some serious hillbilly sh!t!
Guns? Check
Mud bogging? Check
Blackberry? Check (seriously, do you have a BetaMax player in your 80 too?!)
Moonshine errr "100% alcohol"? Check

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom