WarPaint - My 1969 1-owner FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am like a little boy at Christmas. I have wanted an FJ40 since I was a kid, and now a few weeks from turning 48, I am bringing one home. This one has a story. It was purchased new in 1969 by one of my close friend's adoptive father Jon. Jon was a lawman and heavily involved in Search and Rescue in Long Beach, CA. He moved to my town in the mountains of rural NE California in the mid 70's where he continued as a LEO and in search and rescue. I did not know Jon well but had beers on more than several occasions. He was a cool cat with a ton of stories. Jon passed several years, leaving the FJ40 to my buddy. My buddy was going to keep her and restore her for his son but offered her to me this past Sunday. He was getting a lot of lowball offers and said he wanted at least more than $4K. I think his wife wanted it gone. I felt comfortable at $6K and that is what we agreed on.

It is almost all stock and ran well when parked in 2008. My buddy has started it a few times since then, but it now needs new fuel lines and what not. It has not started since at least 2018. It has some rust on the lower quarter panel/door as seen in the picture. The frame seems solid and beyond a few parts on the trans tunnel, the floor is solid. He has the original hood and fenders and says they are in good shape.

This will be my hunting rig and the trick my youngest 2 boys learn to drive on and mob around in the woods.

My first order of business will be to clean her up and get her running. I will clean and flush the gas tank, and change the oil and coolant. Replace all fuel hoses and any other needed hoses. Once she runs I plan on redoing the brakes and seats and 3-point belts. Then we will see from there. I will pick her up tonight or tomorrow and post more pics.

I was told Jon affectionally called her Warpaint. I will continue on with that!

20230409_174721.jpg

Good story and a great beginning to your new addiction. Best of luck fixing her up!

Interesting front clip there. Is that a homemade fiberglass job? I'd be curious to see it propped up.

Welcome, and more pics!

I went to pick Warpaint up and had some issues getting her to roll. The transmission would shift into all the gears minus reverse. There was no fluid in the clutch system, but I would still think the trans in neutral would work. I tried putting the tcase in neutral, which it seemed to shift into, but no roll there either.

It has a tow bar up front, which we were using. Pulling forward, the wheels would were real tough to start to roll then it would bind up. It was easier to roll in reverse. Mind you, we were only rolling perhaps one wheel rotation.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?

I went to pick Warpaint up and had some issues getting her to roll. The transmission would shift into all the gears minus reverse. There was no fluid in the clutch system, but I would still think the trans in neutral would work. I tried putting the tcase in neutral, which it seemed to shift into, but no roll there either.

It has a tow bar up front, which we were using. Pulling forward, the wheels would were real tough to start to roll then it would bind up. It was easier to roll in reverse. Mind you, we were only rolling perhaps one wheel rotation.

Any ideas on what the issue may be?
The hood and fenders are in great shape BTW.

Brakes are probably locked up. Possibly emergency brake too.

Sounds like the brakes were frozen from sitting. I haven't seen a one piece fiberglass front end in decades. What drive train are you going to be working with? What direction do you want to go with your build?

Sounds like the brakes were frozen from sitting. I haven't seen a one piece fiberglass front end in decades. What drive train are you going to be working with? What direction do you want to go with your build?
I wasn't really prepared today to get into it, I went to her straight from work. Will go tomorrow and try again.

What is the temp solution to frozen brakes?

Plan is to get it running and driving. Upgrade brakes, get seats and seat belts to some decent standard of safety and go from there.

Dreaming, mechanically injected turbo diesel pared with a 5 speed, soa, 35s, nice restomod!

I have 2 boys who will drive this as there around town as there first.

Take the wheels and drums off and clear the debri. Jack it up and find the offending wheels.

Glad you took the plunge. This may not be the time , but , would you share the FRAME number as I also have a 1969. Very interesting hood ?

That hood/fender arrangement is interesting and wild. In some ways it would make wrenching on the motor easier, and awful in other ways. If the original hood and fenders exist, I'm curious about why it was installed. What was the intent or goal?

That hood/fender arrangement is interesting and wild. In some ways it would make wrenching on the motor easier, and awful in other ways. If the original hood and fenders exist, I'm curious about why it was installed. What was the intent or goal?
He ran on the beach all of the time. I am told he wanted to save weight. He added headers as well to try and get more power.

Method to the madness. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom