Warn M8000 Winch Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spydaz,
It only took me a long time b/c I didn't have alot of free time. Just a few min. here, hour there, etc.

I don't know much about wiring so it took me a while w/ helpful friends to figure out how I wanted it set up- that took the most time.

actual winch install is not hard.

Oh ok, but nice job with the wiring!!!! I love it. Where did you get the M8000 ? And how much?

so, spacers wise, one could just use a few washers, nothing fancier needed, eh?

FirstToy-
I was reading your ROTW and you say at that time you were looking forward to getting a winch and dual battery setup...now that you have the winch what did you end up doing with the battery? Optima? Dual?

thanks...looks good and glad to hear a 8k works well!

barrypt5

I have a single regular old battery still. It's fine. I pulled the truck w/ the winch a couple times (not in recovery situation yet) and I have no battery issue w/ my multi-day adventures.
I want it but it's on the backburner- other mods I want to do first.

I have to decide on what to get exactly- as I am not a electrical expert by any means. The winch works fine w/ the battery.

spydaz, I got the winch on a super sale from 4wp. It was $465 or something like that so I jumped on it.

eric, what do you mean fancy? you need it spaced back to clear the bumper. it's really simple and just use proper graded hardware.

...The control box is on the passenger side, plenty of room

from underneath, you can see the spacers you need to clear the M8000. Use longer bolts - all grade 8 hardware. (noted that Warn supplies Grade 5 hardware w/ the winch)

FirstToy,
I have an ARB bar and M8000 waiting for me to pick up at Slee on Friday. I want the control box to be "hidden" or in other words, unseen from the exterior, but still easily accessible. I don't see your control box in your pictures. Where did you mount it, exactly? On the "passenger side" of what?
It looks like you bought new hardware. Can you tell me exactly what hardware you bought?

Thanks!:cheers:
Aj

When I bought my M8000, they were including the Warn remote wireless kit for free. I extended the lead wires and mounted the control box to the washer bottle using two extra large zip-ties.
P1000266.jpg

I mounted my selnoid box under the hood as well and put the plug in the grill
The problem with the new M8000 and other warns is that they changed the selanoid(spelling?)box and plug style
Now the plug outlet and cover are one molded piece and you can not seperate the plug like the older version
Also the plug is D shaped now not round as the older was
It was a major PITA to seperate the outlet fom the box
I had to use a dremel and actually cut the outlet out of the box and make it look clean
But it worked
The reason I think that they did that is becuase they want you to buy the remote kit as well
But I an to cheap to go that route, but in the end I probably should have:meh:

I mounted my selnoid box under the hood as well and put the plug in the grill
The problem with the new M8000 and other warns is that they changed the selanoid(spelling?)box and plug style
Now the plug outlet and cover are one molded piece and you can not seperate the plug like the older version
Also the plug is D shaped now not round as the older was
It was a major PITA to seperate the outlet fom the box
I had to use a dremel and actually cut the outlet out of the box and make it look clean
But it worked
The reason I think that they did that is becuase they want you to buy the remote kit as well
But I an to cheap to go that route, but in the end I probably should have:meh:

I wouldn't have bought mine but it was free from Gowarn.com when I bought the winch (something like $550 total with shipping). It is very nice though to be able to hold a very small remote and operate the winch.

I wouldn't have bought mine but it was free from Gowarn.com when I bought the winch (something like $550 total with shipping). It is very nice though to be able to hold a very small remote and operate the winch.

I noticed yours has the old style outlet and cover on it.
Either way
Free would have been real nice.
Oh well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom