Warn M8000 Winch Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finally finished installing my winch. Big thanks to Alvaro, Eduardo & Andries
for all the help and tips. It was very, very helpful. It took a couple weeks of doing a bit after work and a bit on weekends.

I also cribbed off Slee's dash winch controls w/ a couple Toyota switches from
ebay ($15 ea). (Slee's diagram is on his site's tech section)

If you plan to do this, use the old 4Runner antenna switch instead of the Land
Cruiser one.
The 4R switch is a rocker switch, better than LC's 2 seperate buttons.

Pictured are some temporary icons I made for the dash switches. I will make stickers and put them on there so it looks fairly clean.
winch.jpg
winch2.jpg
winch3.jpg

Here you can see the 4Runner antenna switch.
The control box is on the passenger side, plenty of room

from underneath, you can see the spacers you need to clear the M8000. Use longer bolts - all grade 8 hardware. (noted that Warn supplies Grade 5 hardware w/ the winch)
winch3.jpg
winch4.jpg
winch5.jpg

James,

Lookin Good!
Nice clead install - running out of dash room:)

Joe

Big_Moose said:
running out of dash room:)

Joe

Thanks Joe,
Yeah self-imposed end to mods. The dash is full!

I should say I put a kill switch for the + winch cable, so even if someone jumps the control box, it is no-go.
winch_switch.jpg
wiringwinch.jpg

Last edited:
The remote controls mimic my set-up from a few years ago. I too selected the antenna switch as it eliminates the requirement for additional relays. In addition, I mounted the cable control switch in the center console with the cable-in and cable-out positions intutitive in relation to the vehicle position.

I also incorporated an arming swith on the istrument panel.
march to feb 2005 012.jpg
805.jpg

Looks like we used the exact same buttons! Great minds think alike :) hehe

I don't have blanks in the center- only the subwoofer there :(

Tho you give me the idea to switch the in/out around. So "in" is inboard, "out" is closer to the window...

I'm still playing w/ the icons- I kinda like these:
winchdiag.jpg

Last edited:
Mine are in simple text:

"Cable in" and "Cable out".

Looks good, can I ask why a Warn M8000 instead of something heavier?

Victor,
Watching it perform at Rubicon on Alvaro's 80 sold me on the M8000.
With this type of thing, seeing for yourself is the best way to decide if it's right for you.
For example, Cruiserdrew has a 12K Warn I think. Obviously, this will handle more situations.

My thinking was: What is the lightest, least expensive winch that will do the job well?
M8000= proven performer in my terrain & truck
weight= approx 43-45lbs total (minimal impact for the 95% of the time I will not use it)
cost= this is tricky. You want high quality but never need it! But I got it at a great price and jumped on it.
self-sufficient= I felt like the winch was a big step in going prepared on solo/small trips.

The only downside is "your winch" becomes "our winch" on group trips ;)
The only reason that scares me is if the recovery points on a stranger's vehicle are not up to snuff. But I am not afraid to say "no" in such situations.
I am looking fwd to trying it out on a trip w/ Cruiserheads tho

after I finalize, I'll send you some Pasquale :)

I'm still playing w/ the icons- I kinda like these:

FirstToy,
Did you come up with other winch icons or was the final version? I am using the same 4R antenna switch.
-B-

Haven't had time but I am going to print some this week.

When you get the labels done, pm me with a price please. Need some bad and don't have time to make them. Looks great!

Why did it take so long to install the winch itself?? I am pondering on doing this and using that exact winch. Is it a pain in the Arse to install????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom