Waeco CF50 issues - help wanted (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

After pricing new ARBs and Engels I'm now back in the mode of "one last try". Ordered a new thermistor from way-cold.com and will see if that helps. Next step may be to bypass the controls altogether and try one of these.

C° only?

So I installed a new thermistor this evening. Will report on how it performs tomorrow.

image.jpg

Worked great using the 24V inverter that I got with the fridge. Remember this model is DC only but will run 12V or 24V. The inverter only runs in 24V though.

So, it worked flawlessly the first night and into the next day on the inverter. I changed the temp settings a few times and it responded accordingly.

I placed the fridge in my truck and plugged it in. Something must be weird under my dash where I've tapped into key-off power. It seemed to run fine the first few hours, but now the compressor does not come on in any mode (low voltage cut-off adjusted to all positions, emergency mode on/off). I need to see what I did to the power source under my dash before putting blame on the fridge at this point. I can't remember where I tapped into my key off power. I may just run new wires straight to battery and put in an inline fuse - fresh start, so to speak.

Got it moved back into my truck and appeared to be working fine again using my Anderson power pole connections to my Blue Sea fuse panel (key-off power). Checked on it later and lights were showing power and temp setting, but compressor was not running and temps were rising inside the cabinet. Just for s***s & giggles I tried using the old cig lighter plug end, as expected nothing changed. Then I thought...let's plug the 24V DC inverter into my 700W AC inverter that's plugged into 12V power inside the truck. No change.

So, I went to ACC to have them check all my power sources and power connections, and everything looks normal. It's reading +12.9 V at the fridge end of the power cable with the vehicle not running - so there's plenty of juice to make it run at any cutoff setting. We also tested with the truck running, no response from fridge. I explained to Michael that it ran the previous 24 hrs flawlessly on AC to 24V DC power using the factory inverter. Finally, we try plugging my 24V DC inverter back into a wall outlet to see if the fridge responds - nothing. Thus, back to square one.

Already started saving my $$$ for an ARB. Waiting for a good deal to come along.

124073i8D4E94F53C9084F2.jpg
small_0_s2012121315472978.jpg

You have really stayed with this. Really tough when something that should be awesome and a great addition to your life is painful and ultimately bad.

It says a lot that the company you bought it from basically will not help you. I hope others read this thread when considering a refrigerator.

If I can plug one thing, it's the fridge pictured by mudbludger. I've had that exact model minus the gold paint for 10 years and it's been flawless. It has no fancy features, but runs perfectly.

Good luck.

Now come on, I bought my CF50 5ish years ago used off of Cracklist. My brother hooked it up backwards frying the mother board. Got a new one, put it in and it its running right now off of the solar panel and has been for a year now.

I bought a 50l waeco about 7 years ago and it worked fine for the first two years of light use then misery. Board failed on the 240v side, (was being run by a honda EU20i) got that fixed. Lid pivot pin snapped off from light use, fixed that myself and strengthened. Temp control failed, traced problem to faulty sticker that covers temp control buttons, it lets moisture in apparently. Now the 12v side is playing up so it just sits in my workshop as a beer fridge hooked up to 240 and is working well.

These problems happened when camping, and just ruins the trust. After speaking to the refrigeration guys that fixed it the first couple of times, they said the danfoss compressors are a great unit and never cause trouble, but the boards on the 50l are dodgy as they rarely see the 80l, 110l etc.

The last 12v failure was last straw, so i bought a gold engel as pictured. Only had it for 6 months and it lives permanently in back of wagon for the wife to put shopping in, time will tell but I have never heard a bad thing about engel reliability.

BMThiker, sorry to hear of your continuing Waeco woes. I thought I has headed down the same path with my 9 YO CF-50/51 the other day but it turned out to be the cord. It would come on but as soon as the compressor tried to engage it lost power. Very strange symptom and never thought the power cord would be responsible...but it was.

If/when it goes south the 63L ARB sure looks nice!

Spent another $15 today:
61HXvZF2PJL._SL1500_.jpg

Okeler 12V Digital Thermostat Temperature Controller
I'm going to bypass all OEM circuitry and connect this directly to the compressor. This comes with it's own thermistor. The plan is to do a temporary install with wires coming out of the cabinet and just velcro this to the end just above the carry handle. I'll just run the thermistor cable through the open lid, close it and throw a couple towels over it. Then if all goes well through test phase, I'll figure out a way to mount the controller in a more streamlined manner. The main feature that will be bypassed is low voltage cutoff, so I'll have to be more careful about monitoring my battery.

image.jpg
image.jpg
So I finally got around to hooking up this controller. I guess I should have gotten an engineering degree, because I can't get this thing to kick on the Danfoss for anything. The Chinglish instructions are horrible.

What a waste of $800.

Epilogue:

It was my birthday yesterday. My wife spent the last month conspiring with my friends and family and a vendor in Dallas, TX to arrange for this. Just couldn't be happier! I'm sure my wife had to bite her tongue as I spent Saturday afternoon trying to get the p.o.s. Waeco working again.

10624923_10204621734322951_1240569344973810481_n.jpg

Hey-That's a great outcome. Congrats and happy b-day.

Gratz hiker, that gift is awesome. Those fridges are a solid unit, we use them in our overhead bridge gantry cranes at work and they have been running non stop for the last three years. Your missus must have done her homework on that one.

Happy B-day. Um, if you don't want your old cf-50, um, I could use it for spare parts. Would even pay shipping if you were so inclined to get rid of it for you know, FREE!

I've had to replace my display PCB before and it wasn't a problem. I cut the PCB off, split and tied the ribbon wire to the new PCB connector and just pulled it through.

Wake up an old thread:)

Why did you need to replace your PCB and what model was it?
Waeco owner with a problem would like to know:D

I have the old style CF-50 with 5 LED lights, not digital display. This was awhile back but I think the temperature selection became non-adjustable and the lights would blink erratically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom