Victoria Diesel shop recommendations (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everybody. I’m looking to get my leaky injection pump serviced on my HZJ73. Any reccomended diesel shops in Victoria? The shop I normally go to doesn’t have the tools to time the injection pump after getting fixed. Thanks for the help! PFA

796F992C-D5BC-4456-8EAE-E6EF9B472A26.jpeg

They're not that hard to seal yourself. The majority of the work is getting the pump off and back on again. I've sealed a couple now myself successfully. Seal kit is only around $50. But you'll probably want to do a bunch of stuff while you're in there like timing belt, water pump, cam seal etc. One of the members in the club made a timing tool for his 1hdt; pretty sure it would work on 1hz too. It basically is a mount for a dial gauge indicator. It's not that hard to time by ear too.

Anyhow, it is a big job for sure, and if you'd rather just pay someone, I'd recommend taking it to Vancouver to EBI Cruisers. Pretty sure they hired techs from another shop that closed a couple years ago (can't remember name right now) who know these things inside out.

They're not that hard to seal yourself. The majority of the work is getting the pump off and back on again. I've sealed a couple now myself successfully. Seal kit is only around $50. But you'll probably want to do a bunch of stuff while you're in there like timing belt, water pump, cam seal etc. One of the members in the club made a timing tool for his 1hdt; pretty sure it would work on 1hz too. It basically is a mount for a dial gauge indicator. It's not that hard to time by ear too.

Anyhow, it is a big job for sure, and if you'd rather just pay someone, I'd recommend taking it to Vancouver to EBI Cruisers. Pretty sure they hired techs from another shop that closed a couple years ago (can't remember name right now) who know these things inside out.

Thanks for replying. I would take it to Vancouver but I don’t wanna leave the Covid free Island. I thought about doing it myself but I don’t have a lot of free time to work on it

Contact Raj @ Fred Holmes Fuel Injection
100 - 13571 Verdun Place Richmond. 604-273-7700
He rebuilt my injectors, knows JDM engines
i sure hope the snow has melted at your place

Contact Raj @ Fred Holmes Fuel Injection
100 - 13571 Verdun Place Richmond. 604-273-7700
He rebuilt my injectors, knows JDM engines
i sure hope the snow has melted at your place

Thanks but I need a shop on the Island. The snow is long gone, lol but where is the summer we’re used to?

Thanks but I need a shop on the Island. The snow is long gone, lol but where is the summer we’re used to?

You could try Simoes Automotive. It is a highly rated shop and one of the guys there is a cruiser owner (60 diesel). They are a very honest shop and at the least could point you in the right direction. https://www.facebook.com/simoesautomotive/

There is a shop on Marigold that seems to always have Jap diesel import vehicles in front. Not sure they have a good rep tho.

You could try Simoes Automotive. It is a highly rated shop and one of the guys there is a cruiser owner (60 diesel). They are a very honest shop and at the least could point you in the right direction. https://www.facebook.com/simoesautomotive/

There is a shop on Marigold that seems to always have Jap diesel import vehicles in front. Not sure they have a good rep tho.
Thanks I’ll stop in and see what they have to say!

I was gonna say, I know it's been a s***ty summer but damn...:lol:

Not vic, but Lloyd at action fuel injection in nanaimo is a really good guy.

He did my 12ht injectors, had a minor issue in that I supplied the nozzles, and despite being new, two of them were junk (held zero pressure) so he had to order a couple more for me, otherwise it would have been a quick turnaround.

When you meet an old guy who's done this kindof thing for 40+ years, you realize that a denso injector is a denso injector. There's really no great mystery about jdm vs other Japanese diesels. He didn't bat an eyelash at it all. ( and turns out he drove a 60 for years too)

Marine diesels ( some newer yanmars, and older hinos) are pretty much marinized versions of what we have, and there's lots of those around, so chances are it won't be like you're showing up with something bizarre that'll scare an injection shop.

I have used Wilson & Proctor in Esquimalt to service my injection pump & injectors many times over the past 20 years and over 4 rebuilds for my BJ40. I have found them to be honest and reliable (but not cheap).
If you've had to rebuild your pump or injectors on your BJ40 4 times, I would say they are not very good. You should not have to do that much maintenance on that engine. I second the post about Action in nanaimo. I've used that shop for a few things in the past.

If you've had to rebuild your pump or injectors on your BJ40 4 times, I would say they are not very good. You should not have to do that much maintenance on that engine. I second the post about Action in nanaimo. I've used that shop for a few things in the past.
They have all been bearing issues related to the poor design of the B oil pump. W & P did things like diapjram replacement, injector leak tests, pressure calibration, lift pump replacement, etc.

They have all been bearing issues related to the poor design of the B oil pump. W & P did things like diapjram replacement, injector leak tests, pressure calibration, lift pump replacement, etc.
I re-read my previous post regarding rebuilds - that should be engine rebuilds - the injector pump has been very good aside from routine PM

Jason @ Cruisin Off-road is in Grand Forks? I thought he was in Chilliwack?!

It was a lot more than I expected so I asked to just stop the injection pump leak and not do a rebuild and this was the reply

6A689D6A-EA15-4739-9B67-60892388E068.png

Is this a fair price to have the injection pump leak fixed or should I go elsewhere? Thanks for the help! I miss driving the Cruiser so much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom