Vent air inlet location? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jaymar

SILVER Star
Threads
Once upon a time I read a thread that talked about getting rid of a/C system mildew smell by spraying Lysol or Pine-Sol into vent system's air inlet. Alas, no one actually said what that location was. Hoping someone here happens to know… Thanks for any help!

Inlet is under the cowl

Inlet is under the cowl

True, when set to fresh, when set to recirculate it's near the blower, under the glove box, likely better to use for this.

I get vehicles in with smelly AC, the evaporator often covered with a fine furry mould. On most modern vehicles it is a dash out job to get to, so I use an antibacterial spray preparation. Basically you set the AC on hot recirc, the spray has a fixed button, once pressed in it will empty the entire contents into the cars interior. So the spray is set in the holder and the button pressed, leave car immediately and let it do it's job, very rarely two sessions are needed.

regards

Dave

I have had good luck using FreeBreeze for odor control.
OMG, Death First! Can't STAND the stench of that stuff. You know the first version had no odor? Failed miserably. So they stank it up--and the rest is history. But, hey, I like the smell of gorgonzola melted onto garlic naan, so--to each his/her own... :)

This stuff foams up all over the evap core after drilling a small hole in the case. Then plug hole. Worked well for me last year.

Amazon.com: Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner: Automotive

Not that it's worth opening the AC system, but just for info the evap core comes out pretty easily without removing the whole dash. I had mine out a couple days ago to replace the expansion valve.

Edit: I pulled the blower motor out to make sure none of the foam got into it. Was a good opportunity to clean the dust and crap out of the squirrel cage for it.

Last edited:
Not to thread-jack, but on similar topic, how the hell do you clean out the fresh air intake? I've had the valance & the plastic debris screens off, but can't get down in there to save my life! I have a bunch of Monterey Cypress hanging over my driveway (from the neighbor's yard) and all the little piney bits are dumping in there. Short of taking the whole dash apart, and going in that way, what's the alternative?

This stuff foams up all over the evap core after drilling a small hole in the case. Then plug hole. Worked well for me last year.

Amazon.com: Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner: Automotive

Not that it's worth opening the AC system, but just for info the evap core comes out pretty easily without removing the whole dash. I had mine out a couple days ago to replace the expansion valve.

Edit: I pulled the blower motor out to make sure none of the foam got into it. Was a good opportunity to clean the dust and crap out of the squirrel cage for it.
Yeah somewhere in here I saw a thread on taking that apart, complete with photos that made it look like tribbles were hiding under there.

Removing dash won't help. Just rig up a 1-1/4 shop vac line into the cowl vents with the plastic grates removed.

The intake itself is just an open horn shape that points upward. I'm having trouble finding pics.

It is probably worth removing the blower motor and removing crap from the squirrel cage.. There will be stuff stuck in the evap core face but having the blower out allows access to clean at least a big percentage of that.

Yeah somewhere in here I saw a thread on taking that apart, complete with photos that made it look like tribbles were hiding under there.

Tribbles? Sounds like trouble with them.

Hi, I just pulled off my cowl for the first time, easy to do just a few screws, probably 3 pounds of leaves and dirt in there. The debris had just started to scrape off some paint under the cowl. I resealed and touched up the paint before reinstalling the cowl. Without removing the organic materials I don't think the smell will go away. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom