Vehicle stall over 3000 rpms (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 HDJ81. When I rev the vehicle between 3000 and 3500 rpm's for maybe 5 seconds or so the vehicle stalls. Does anyone know why this is happening? This was after I had driven the vehicle for over an hour.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks!

How does it stall? Does it cut 'cleanly' as if you turned the key off or 'roughly' as if I might be starving for fuel?

Does it do it if you rev in neutral or only when under load?

How long since the fuel filter was replaced?
Any work done to it recently?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to make sure we understand the problem fully

No problem on the questions! It seemed to turn off roughly. I actually wondered if it was starving for fuel, but it had a full tank. And it happened when it was just in park.

Not sure when the last time the fuel filter was changed. It might have been a while ago. I just bought the vehicle. It has about 90k miles and it's a 1991.

Any thoughts?? Thanks for the help!

How does it stall? Does it cut 'cleanly' as if you turned the key off or 'roughly' as if I might be starving for fuel?

Does it do it if you rev in neutral or only when under load?

How long since the fuel filter was replaced?
Any work done to it recently?

Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to make sure we understand the problem fully

If you don't know when the fuel filter was last changed, I reckon change that and see if that makes any difference.

Also consider that you may have air being sucked in to fuel system through loose or cracked hoses, leaking primer pump or leaking filter .

Air getting in is likely to cause a "miss" or make it splutter and run rough.

I once had a fuel filter vibrate a little loose. It would run fine, then cut out completely with out warning.

Thanks for help, mudgudgeon!! Could an old fuel filter or air in the fuel system also be causing me to have poor fuel economy? It seems like I've been getting around 13 mpg. Shouldn't I be getting more like 18 to 25 mpg??

Also consider that you may have air being sucked in to fuel system through loose or cracked hoses, leaking primer pump or leaking filter .

Air getting in is likely to cause a "miss" or make it splutter and run rough.

I once had a fuel filter vibrate a little loose. It would run fine, then cut out completely with out warning.

Thanks for help, mudgudgeon!! Could an old fuel filter or air in the fuel system also be causing me to have poor fuel economy? It seems like I've been getting around 13 mpg. Shouldn't I be getting more like 18 to 25 mpg??
Not likely, if the filter is clogged it's restricting the fuel flow hence why the engine could be starving for fuel under high demand (higher rpm's) Your 1HD-T should probably be getting at least 18mpg assuming you don't floor it everywhere you go. I get better then 18mpg towing a loaded trailer with my 1HD-FT. Do you have any fuel leaks or a ton of black smoke coming out the exhaust pipe while driving?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom