VDJ-200 Oil Specification 1VD-FTV (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The options for full synthetic in the recommended weight by Toyota are limited in my country. I did find one by Repsol but have noticed an increased oil consumption over my previous oil which was conventional 15W-40. Repsol 50501 TDI 5W40 is the name.

I am looking to extend the service interval and want to use a quality full synthetic. I am currently replacing oil and filter every 5,000 kms (~3,000 miles). According to AMSOIL, their Signature Series Max-Duty Synthetic Diesel Oil 5W30 can be replaced 3x what your OEM service manual recommends.

I also found locally a Shell Rotella T6 5W40 for a great price, but nowhere does it suggest extended service intervals.

What oil are you guys running?

I also found this article to be interesting:

Oil and Oil Filter Change - LandCruiser 200

Thanks,

Tito

Attachments

• Lubricant and fluids sepcifications.pdf
    328.5 KB · Views: 385
  • RP Elite 50501 TDI 5W40 REV DECEMBER 2010_tcm11-368499.pdf
    126.4 KB · Views: 177
I’m coming from the world of diesel VW’s and extended drain intervals.. but my understanding is the main advantage of synthetic is to extend the drains. Modern conventional oil works great in modern engines but just doesn’t resist shear-based viscosity reduction as well.

If you have access to rotella t6 I’d feel comfortable running that and extending to 5k.. it is a very good oil. but, with a similar viscosity to the repsol you may run into similar oil consumption issues. May not though. Doing some research into whether used oil analysis is an option where you are, or even internationally, could confirm whatever path you take isn’t doing damage to the engine.

Have you looked into whether there is any info on the 1VD on bobistheoilguy.com?

I’m coming from the world of diesel VW’s and extended drain intervals.. but my understanding is the main advantage of synthetic is to extend the drains. Modern conventional oil works great in modern engines but just doesn’t resist shear-based viscosity reduction as well.

If you have access to rotella t6 I’d feel comfortable running that and extending to 5k.. it is a very good oil. but, with a similar viscosity to the repsol you may run into similar oil consumption issues. May not though. Doing some research into whether used oil analysis is an option where you are, or even internationally, could confirm whatever path you take isn’t doing damage to the engine.

Have you looked into whether there is any info on the 1VD on bobistheoilguy.com?

Thanks, I went over to the Bobistheoilguy forum. Things get very "techy" over there ...

Going to give Rotella T6 a shot in 5W40 Diesel as it exceeds the recommended API CF-4

When you say 5k you mean 5,000 miles or kilometers?

Thanks, I went over to the Bobistheoilguy forum. Things get very "techy" over there ...

Going to give Rotella T6 a shot in 5W40 Diesel as it exceeds the recommended API CF-4

When you say 5k you mean 5,000 miles or kilometers?
Miles. And again that is just my “gut” based on what I’ve seen in years of reading about and experimenting on conventional vs synthetic in other engines. Here in the states I’d consider going further but I have the ability to send off oil for analysis to confirm I’m not hurting the engine.

I believe I can get oil analysis locally. How do you take the sample, from the drain plug or through the dipstick?

I believe I can get oil analysis locally. How do you take the sample, from the drain plug or through the dipstick?

Make sure the oil is good and warmed up and circulated.. then while it is still hot you drain it and roughly halfway through it draining, fill the sample bottle they provide you. Seal it and send off. Basically you don't want to catch cold oil that has been sitting, nor the first part of the drain because that can be contaminated with stuff sitting on the bottom of the pan or inside the drain plug threads.

I believe they do make kits where you put a thin plastic tube down the dipstick hole and suck some oil out.. this is useful for checking oil condition mid-life without having to drain it fully, if you don't have a sample tap installed. Some oil geeks do the tap install.. then push their oil to 30k miles. The problem with the plastic tube is I think our dipstick tubes are very small, and if you are just trying to confirm 5000 miles is ok on a given oil you will have drained it anyway. Typically the lab's advice will be good enough that if your oil is only half worn out, they will propose how much further you can go.

Bobistheoilguy has more info on why, but one parameter known as "TBN" isn't always included in diesel engine oil analysis but is very useful. Might have to pay a little extra. Basically it is a measure of how well the oil is chemically protecting the engine from corrosion. As opposed to the standard measure of viscosity, which is your mechanical protection. Also if they are doing the oil analysis locally they have probably done the same work on other 1VD engines and can compare your wear metals to those units.. It is very useful data if you know how to interpret it.

Hello here .. pretty old thread revival here ..

I got my 1VD-FTV since Jan 2019 and I've been using Rotella 5W-40 since then ..

I'm partially happy with it .. and looking right now ( reason I got here ) to overcomplicate my life and bring a 5W-30 coz I believe ( but dyno and lab ) 5W-40 it's too thick for my engine .

Ideally I'll try to bring Toyota Oil .. ( yeah I know .. ) not to xtend the intervals but to guarantee the absolute best oil on my engine ..

BTW I'm not worried ( read a lot about it ) about my oil consumption that's about a liter per interval @ 5K km

Hello here .. pretty old thread revival here ..

I got my 1VD-FTV since Jan 2019 and I've been using Rotella 5W-40 since then ..

I'm partially happy with it .. and looking right now ( reason I got here ) to overcomplicate my life and bring a 5W-30 coz I believe ( but dyno and lab ) 5W-40 it's too thick for my engine .

Ideally I'll try to bring Toyota Oil .. ( yeah I know .. ) not to xtend the intervals but to guarantee the absolute best oil on my engine ..

BTW I'm not worried ( read a lot about it ) about my oil consumption that's about a liter per interval @ 5K km
Whats up David!

I'm also burning about a liter per 5K km interval and o not worried about it.

I think you should try this one and them let know how it goes :D:

https://thunderls.com/tienda/amsoil/aceite-de-motor/aceite-motor-europeo/sae-5w-30-2/

Whats up David!

I'm also burning about a liter per 5K km interval and o not worried about it.

I think you should try this one and them let know how it goes :D:

SAE 5W-30 | - https://thunderls.com/tienda/amsoil/aceite-de-motor/aceite-motor-europeo/sae-5w-30-2/

What's up Tito .. hope everything it's doing great for you ..

did you try the AMSoil .?

I got a fight with them .. so I'm not buying AMSoil anymore .. :rofl: they have lost tons of $$$ on oil with me .. :bang:

also got to replace my clutch soon .. :) never ending slope !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom