Utility Trailer Project (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

A very nice and useful build.
It looks top heavy without the quad, how does it handle?

Go with these trailer stabilizers they are long, but fold back for transit.
Ebay Rand P trailers.
$(KGrHqUOKisE17Eiqgd,BNjLPkq2jQ~~_3.JPG
stabjack3.JPG

Thanks. I saw something similar to these, but they didn't extend as far, I think these would work.
I haven't had it loaded down at highway speeds yet, but around town, it follows nicely.

Have a look at AT's page. They offer a stabilizer design that would be easy to make yourself.

That is a good idea also. I really didn't want anything hanging down to get knocked off and rattle around. After the tire and axel install, I think I have plenty of clearance. I ordered the Rand P stabilizers to keep it neat.

Ok, I think I am finished for now. Still would like to figure out a folding table and a water tank, but for now the quad and camping gear fit and the tent is mounted.

Final adjustments on the spare mount:
1final.jpg

Fenders made from Stone Mechanical, Grand Junction. I think they did a great job on them:
2final.jpg

3final.jpg

Had some of this laying around the shop, so welded it in for extra storage:
4final.jpg

Fenders painted, probably will paint them with some spray on bed liner, or something similar. Already beat up from rocks kicked from the 100.
5final.jpg

Windy day, so didn't deploy tent completely:
6final.jpg

7final.jpg

Have you thought of putting a couple of bulldog jacks on the front corners to stabilize it while the tent is up?? One heck of a job on the build!

Thanks, yea I have some stabilizers en route.

Looks great!! Keep the pics coming

Very cool! That's the first set up I've seen like that.

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

Axle newbie here...but how much load can you put on it? I've got a 3500lb axle sitting on leaf springs...thinking about coverting to a camping setup...just looks a bot light compared to some expodition trailers.

The 3500 pounder I installed is stout. I think the trailer will give out way before that axle does. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the torsion axels ride smoother and are stronger. :confused:
I went with a 45 degree down torsion to gain the most height, also welded 3 inch brackets on it.

MtnAddict said:
The 3500 pounder I installed is stout. I think the trailer will give out way before that axle does. Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the torsion axels ride smoother and are stronger. :confused:
I went with a 45 degree down torsion to gain the most height, also welded 3 inch brackets on it.

I'm not sure about stronger, but they are a smoother ride for sure! I almost went with one for my trailer.

~Daniel

Sent from deep in the mountains of Honduras using only sticks and rocks.

I do plan on adding a battery, water system (shower) and I also have an idea for a folding table and storage for kitchen items, all at a later date. These might be next winters project... Need new tires on the quad spring is here!

We bolted a piece of angle iron on the floor to hold my cooler and designed a locking mechanism to keep unwanted guests out while we are away.
coolerlock.jpg

Tent support bars.
supportbars.jpg

Not only does that angle gain height, but I've found with my Suby axle that it helps with absurd bumps at speed (this matters when your trailer doesn't match your tow rig - the rock you avoid may hit the trailer HARD as me how I know lol _) - like a 4" rock at 45mph will swing the axle back, as well as up - really, the trailer keeps moving forward the tire gets to stay "stationary" for a few milliseconds, traveling up and back relative to the trailer.

like, on a leaf spring or a flat torsion, the wheel travels in an arc, up and eventually forward (slightly) - like this..... ) but the torsion at 45 is more... / .... obviously still arc but see?

I'm known for not being clear so does that make sense? :p It's another reason I advocate the torsion......

Yep, that makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom