US market radio?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would steer clear of the "retro" radios and just fit an OEM corrolla one or similar. Most of the retro ones are just really crappy chinesium radios with an "older" looking faceplate. They sound terrible.

I had the same thoughts as you, I wanted a stock looking stereo, but I am a bit more critical of music listening (as much as you can be in a topless Land Cruiser) I tried a retro one, it sucked. I saw some others and heard those, unimpressed. Ended up putting an Alpine car play in and enjoy the maps/stereo/apple integration as well as WAZE which has a speedometer on the map.
Exactly what I did with my 1990 77 Series. I simply installed a radio from a 1990 Toyota sedan. Obviously Bluetooth wasn’t a thing back then but neither was having a phone consume every waking moment.
 
I would steer clear of the "retro" radios and just fit an OEM corrolla one or similar. Most of the retro ones are just really crappy chinesium radios with an "older" looking faceplate. They sound terrible.

I had the same thoughts as you, I wanted a stock looking stereo, but I am a bit more critical of music listening (as much as you can be in a topless Land Cruiser) I tried a retro one, it sucked. I saw some others and heard those, unimpressed. Ended up putting an Alpine car play in and enjoy the maps/stereo/apple integration as well as WAZE which has a speedometer on the map.
My top preference is an OEM radio, as you stated.

I don't listen to the radio much anyway...

Would I like to be able to Bluetooth/AUX my phone through the radio - yes. But not gonna hurt my feelings if I can't.
I'll just wait until my next opportunity to park and I'll call back any calls I couldn't answer while driving.

The radio - along with the 76...is my little way to say "F" off... too much tech.

Unfortunately, my grown kids told me that the truck has to have similar to the Alpine you mentioned, if they're gonna ride in it when I next visit.
Oh well...no ones forcing them.

I do appreciate the advice given on the options available.
 
Exactly what I did with my 1990 77 Series. I simply installed a radio from a 1990 Toyota sedan. Obviously Bluetooth wasn’t a thing back then but neither was having a phone consume every waking moment.
Would you recall if the install required rewiring) splicing harnesses, etc as another member mentioned could be a possibility..?
 
Would you recall if the install required rewiring) splicing harnesses, etc as another member mentioned could be a possibility..?
I don’t recall it being overly complicated however it’s been a while since I owned that particular Cruiser.
 
I installed a pricey retrosound for someone once and I was shocked at the poor build and sound quality. Totally agree on that.

I use the Jensen radios because unlike OEM, they have weatherband (which has alerted me twice on road trips out west) and Bluetooth which, while not essential, is awfully nice if you keep a library of good tunes on your phone like I do.

This is the only BT I allow in my rigs. Worth it to avoid aux cables.
 
There is a Metra brand wiring harness adapter for Toyotas that is sold online and in many parts stores like Autozone. Connect that gizmo to whichever stereo you buy and then the Metra jacks into the factory plug in your cruiser.
 
There is a Metra brand wiring harness adapter for Toyotas that is sold online and in many parts stores like Autozone. Connect that gizmo to whichever stereo you buy and then the Metra jacks into the factory plug in your cruiser.
That's definitely something I'll be checking out.
Thank you
 
It required thumbing through an old thread, but this was my radio (1990 HZJ77). 😊
IMG_8203.webp
 
I would steer clear of the "retro" radios and just fit an OEM corrolla one or similar. Most of the retro ones are just really crappy chinesium radios with an "older" looking faceplate. They sound terrible.

I had the same thoughts as you, I wanted a stock looking stereo, but I am a bit more critical of music listening (as much as you can be in a topless Land Cruiser) I tried a retro one, it sucked. I saw some others and heard those, unimpressed. Ended up putting an Alpine car play in and enjoy the maps/stereo/apple integration as well as WAZE which has a speedometer on the map.
Eh, you can care about high quality audio or you can drive a 70 series. You can't have both. The Continental brand radio looks OEM, it was like $70, and it has blutooth. I can listen to my music and podcasts just fine.
 
This is simple pinout, it isn't rocket surgery.
Buy this $4 meta harness (or butcher your existing harness) and with the most basic detective work you can build a harness for whatever radio you buy. If it is beyond ones skills a local car stereo shop will be happy to rip you off and build it for you.
CN701 10P+6P Connecton.webp
1987 And Newer.webp
Wiring colours as follows, Large plug first....webp
 
Back
Top Bottom