1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

US General or used Snap On/ Matco garage box

Discussion in 'Tools and Fabrication' started by TXSunDevil, Apr 11, 2018.

1. TXSunDevil

TXSunDevil SILVER Star

Do you think the 44" HF box is a good box? I was impressed with the quality. I can see it lasting a lifetime with only part time use and not being rolled around in the garage. Ideally I want something that will last

2. bigredmachine

bigredmachine

one of the guys at work has one and its held up for a year or two so far. would I expect it to hold up like the snap on boxes that the old timers have that are older than I am, no not by a long shot. not saying that the us general is bad or sub standard but you can get a mac/matco/snap on box for 2-3k new and youll be able to upgrade with add ons if you want and sell for nearly what you paid for it if you need to.

the other thing to consider is if something brakes can you get parts for general box? mac/matco/snap on you will be able to buy parts and make repairs when necessary

3. davegonz

davegonz Keeping it Weird SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    US General is the best bang for the buck out there if buying new. The other option is to keep scanning Craigslist for deals on the expensive stuff. I picked up two nice rolling Stanley Vidmar tool boxes from a retired US Air Force mechanic for $200.

20160806_105312.jpg

TXSunDevil and John McVicker like this.
  4. PAToyota

PAToyota Keystone Cruisers SILVER Star

Stopping in at Lowes today, they had a bunch of Craftsman boxes lined up on display in the aisle at the entrance to the store. I didn't have a lot of time to spend, but I have to say that initially they looked to give the HF boxes a good run for bang for the buck. I'll have to take a closer look at them when I have some time.

5. TXSunDevil

TXSunDevil SILVER Star

I have seen the Craftsman boxes online. They are only 18" deep and have 1000#s less capacity than the HF boxes. I have been doing some googling and it appears the HF 44" should be available in Blue this summer. I am going to try to wait. I did buy the Blue 5 drawer tool cart and felt it was a great value at $169.

6. PAToyota

PAToyota Keystone Cruisers SILVER Star

I had a chance to stop in again this morning. Yes, only 18" deep - as well as shorter and cheaper than the comparable HF ones: 41" ($700) and 52" ($800) to HF's 44" ($770) and 56" ($1220) models (prices for top and bottom). I do somewhat like the deeper top storage of the Craftsman top chests compared to the shallow top storage of the HF top chests. Craftsman also has a power strip with USB ports in the top chests. I'm not sure how much I'd use that as I move my tool boxes around and having them plugged in might be a pain.

The last I looked at Craftsman was years ago. At the time, the cheaper boxes were about the same price or a bit more than the HF ones but really seemed flimsy compared to the HF ones. By the time you got up to a decent box, the cost was well above the HF ones. It really wasn't a competition. Now I think they're more equally matched and it will come down more to what features you want. I could see people going for the 52" Craftsman set over the 56" HF set to save the $400. The 41"/44" sets are more of a match and would be about which features you preferred.

7. TXSunDevil

TXSunDevil SILVER Star

I have yet to go touch the Craftsman at Lowes. I was extremely disappointed with the Sears Craftsman offerings. These are not the boxes I had seen in the past. They were a touch thicker than aluminum foil. Ill be by Lowes in a few days and I will check them out. My local store shows to have 2. The HF 44" in Blue is now on my wish list. Hopefully it will come out soon.

PAToyota likes this.
  8. RAYJON

RAYJON Get a bigger hammer..

the big harbor freight boxes are built on a snap on patent, I have the 54" one and other than the way the drawers latch its the same as a snap on. the paint and fit and finish are not anywhere near a snap on box but the functions just the same... the roller slides on a 5k snap on box are much nicer but having had one of the first big us general boxes for 6 years they are not that bad.. and are excellent for the money.. but dont by the 350$ one buy the 700-1200 dollar one...

9. TXSunDevil

TXSunDevil SILVER Star

Now the 44" is $449 with a coupon. The $350 are no more in my area. I would like the 52" but I am worried about loading the thing up. It shows to weigh around 375#. That is a little too heavy for me and I have a small garage that would work better with a 44". Still hoping for the blue one.

10. Hack

Hack

Yeah. $100 price increase. I wonder if there is a substantial difference between the two? I should have purchased two of them when I was thinking about it last year. I'd like to use them for my workbench.