Upgrading diff gears - install cost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Other than the parts, what does an install for upgraded front and rear diff gears (such as 4.88's) cost, typically, at a shop?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it!

j/k but seriously, it is a huge job and I've been qouted at about $3k including all parts for a complete gear swap and knuckle rebuild. And the longer I wait the more it just keeps going up. I think it was barely over $2k about five years ago.

Lot of money in parts - gears and install kits are pricey. That, combined with the labor, and it's a 2K+ job. And you probably will want to throw in longfields so there goes another G.

If you take out the 3rds and drop them off a avg. price is $300 ea. If you want them taken out and installed at the shop along with the setup I would assume $600-$700 ea. This is with no parts.

Cost me a total of $2400 with everything. That includes Longfields. That was dropping off the 3rds for setup.

Last edited:
If you have the parts and deliver the thirds, not your truck, it's $150/each from one of the very best. Sean @rcd in rancho cordova, CA.

check out www.justdifferentials.com

you will be able to price out products..

labor is roughly $300 for front and $300 for rear.

best time to do it when you rebuild your front birfs!

Call Chase at East Coast Gear Supply; he would be your local go to guy. He's up behind briar creek off acc and mt hermon ch.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com
We just had another ONSC guy drop off 2 80 diffs for 4.88 recently so he should have a recent invoice handy.

My 80 is getting ready to go to the shop now for axle work. Gear install labor $450 per axle and $350 to rebuild the front while he is already in it

My 80 is getting ready to go to the shop now for axle work. Gear install labor $450 per axle and $350 to rebuild the front while he is already in it
Dang that's high for around here. Last I checked it was $100 cheaper per axle. Where you taking it?

I just had mine done to 4.56, it was about $1200 labor for the re-gear and full axle service f/r

Call Chase at East Coast Gear Supply; he would be your local go to guy. He's up behind briar creek off acc and mt hermon ch.
http://eastcoastgearsupply.com
We just had another ONSC guy drop off 2 80 diffs for 4.88 recently so he should have a recent invoice handy.

Thanks for all the replies - and this one, Rice!

I am also interested in getting my front and rear set up to 4.88. Is there a preferred shop in the houston area that is reliable to do this job along with a full service of the front and rear axle.

Dang that's high for around here. Last I checked it was $100 cheaper per axle. Where you taking it?

From what I've looked at it was a fair price and that's them pulling the 3rds. It is being done at Baertrax, one of if not the best in the business is doing mine. He has owned many Land Cruisers so knows them. I feel that with the money spent and beig a fairly large project I want no worries that it's done right. If I need to pay $200 more to have a shop like his do it for piece of mind it is well worth it to me.

around here if you pull the 3rd and take it to a shop they charge around 100 each. no idea on letting them do all the work as the 3rd is too easy to pull myself.

O
around here if you pull the 3rd and take it to a shop they charge around 100 each. no idea on letting them do all the work as the 3rd is too easy to pull myself.
It is cheaper to pull the 3rd yourself. I'm only having them pull it because while they are in it they are rebuilding the front axle and adding an ARB airlocker to the rear.

From what I've looked at it was a fair price and that's them pulling the 3rds. It is being done at Baertrax, one of if not the best in the business is doing mine. He has owned many Land Cruisers so knows them. I feel that with the money spent and beig a fairly large project I want no worries that it's done right. If I need to pay $200 more to have a shop like his do it for piece of mind it is well worth it to me.
Josh is good and does know LC's. I hear ya on the piece of mind bit. Btw, he just sold his badass 80. That thing was sick!

So where's the BEST place to buy the gears and solid pinion shim spacers for these?

If your going to ship your 3rds then see what Zuk charges ( http://www.gearinstalls.com/ ). He's as good as, if not, the best. He seems to like Nitro Gears so find a company that sells them & where you can buy everything you need (don't forget install kits!) & get a discount for the bulk purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom