Underpowered Land Rover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping for some help. I currently drive a 2015 Land Rover LR4 which I love BUT on a recent trip through the rockies the V6SC engine really struggled in the mountains. I am currently closing on a second home in Driggs ID and looking for a replacement
Vehicle that is more mountain worthy. I have the following criteria:

1. Comfortable to drive 21 hours from Chicago to Idaho.
2. Strong in the mountain passes
3. Able to tow a trailer full of stuff between the two houses
4. Good in the snow
5. Ideally able to travel around Offroad (say Moab) from time to time

I am looking closely at the LC200 and wondered if you have any suggestions or thoughts. Is this the right machine for the job?

Cheers

David

How big/heavy is the trailer?

Depends on the capacity of the tow
Vehicle :). Between Chicago and Driggs likely a large Uhaul trailer packed to the max and around Driggs a trailer with (for example) two snow mobiles).

Hi, this is my first post and I was hoping for some help. I currently drive a 2015 Land Rover LR4 which I love BUT on a recent trip through the rockies the V6SC engine really struggled in the mountains. I am currently closing on a second home in Driggs ID and looking for a replacement
Vehicle that is more mountain worthy. I have the following criteria:

1. Comfortable to drive 21 hours from Chicago to Idaho.
2. Strong in the mountain passes
3. Able to tow a trailer full of stuff between the two houses
4. Good in the snow
5. Ideally able to travel around Offroad (say Moab) from time to time

I am looking closely at the LC200 and wondered if you have any suggestions or thoughts. Is this the right machine for the job?

Cheers

David

LC will do the job with no issues. You're going to miss the ride of the LR4 dearly, however.

Interesting. How do you mean? Smoother on the highway?

No SUV lights a candle to RR, RRS, or LR4 in terms of ride comfort. That starts with the seat of the Rover. It is perhaps the best designed seat, in terms of comfort, in all of car-dom. Also, the leathers in the higher end Rover lineup are of the highest quality and are buttery soft. The air suspensions of the Rovers provide a ride that a LC can't remotely duplicate. And the interior cabins of the higher end Rovers will be significantly more quiet.

That said, the Cruiser is going to outlast the Rover about 3 to 1.

I look at my LC as a tank that will last forever. I look at my RRS as an SUV sports car. Two different things. Both are fine workmanship, but in their own unique ways.

No SUV lights a candle to RR, RRS, or LR4 in terms of ride comfort. That starts with the seat of the Rover. It is perhaps the best designed seat, in terms of comfort, in all of car-dom. Also, the leathers in the higher end Rover lineup are of the highest quality and are buttery soft. The air suspensions of the Rovers provide a ride that a LC can't remotely duplicate. And the interior cabins of the higher end Rovers will be significantly more quiet.

That said, the Cruiser is going to outlast the Rover about 3 to 1.

I look at my LC as a tank that will last forever. I look at my RRS as an SUV sports car. Two different things. Both are fine workmanship, but in their own unique ways.

The LC potentially can't duplicate the rovers ride. But it certainly can come much closer in the form of an LX570. The LX570 has hydraulic air suspension, higher quality seats/seat leathers, and more insulation.

The LC potentially can't duplicate the rovers ride. But it certainly can come much closer in the form of an LX570. The LX570 has hydraulic air suspension, higher quality seats/seat leathers, and more insulation.

Agree completely. I traded my LX570 and got a LC, thinking it was just a LC with Lexus badging. That is incorrect. It is very different automobile. The LX570 has many refinements, including the air suspension. The cabin is also much quieter. It is the nearest to a Rover that that Toyota makes.

Thanks for all the great feedback. I didn't realize that the suspension and seats were different. I guess I will need to do a few test drives this week and compare. I appreciate the insights.

Last summer we did a 6,500 mile road trip in the LC — Boston to Yellowstone to Breckenridge and back to Boston. I could have kept driving. It is very comfortable cruising on the highway. The V8 has plenty of power, even up in the mountains. I haven’t towed with it, so I can’t help you there.

The LC does have a solid rear axle. Toyota has it well tuned, but it is a lot of unsprung weight. On bumpy roads you will feel it move around.

The LC has an excellent 4WD system, but performance in snow is mostly about tires. Dedicated snow tires are better in snow than all season tires.

If we could just put the Range Rover seats in the LC it would be perfect and add Apple car play. Oh and add real wood, I mean this is a $80k suv come on now.

If we could just put the Range Rover seats in the LC it would be perfect and add Apple car play. Oh and add real wood, I mean this is a $80k suv come on now.

And the pano roof, and the stereo. And the transmission.

I'm curious, does the latest and greatest LC offer any of the following? (Mine's a 2010)

Blind spot monitor
Park assist
Pano roof
Ventilated seats
Power lift gate
Heated steering wheel
Auto high beam lights
Headlights that move left and right as you turn

I know the LX has a few of these features, wasn't sure about LC.

And the pano roof, and the stereo. And the transmission.

I'm curious, does the latest and greatest LC offer any of the following? (Mine's a 2010)

Blind spot monitor - yes
Park assist - no
Pano roof - no
Ventilated seats - yes
Power lift gate - yes
Heated steering wheel - yes
Auto high beam lights - yes
Headlights that move left and right as you turn - IDK

I know the LX has a few of these features, wasn't sure about LC.

Well Toyota announced that Avalon, rav4, corolla hatch all getting apple car play so far

Ford Expedition? Oh wait, you want to Moab, never mind. Expedition can't Moab.

Ford Raptor?

Nissan Armada? - These are going really discounted

Lexus LX570

New Mercedes G-wagen with IFS? - Try this one out and let us know!

thanks for all the replies. I am certainly having fun driving different vehicles and watching YouTube! Some thoughts so far:
- Land cruiser - love the reputation and engine - seems ponderous on the road vs the LR4 - worry about the 21 hour drive from Chicago.
- LX570 - prefer the Landcruiser badge, seems to drive a bit better but worry about the air suspension in the rough.
- New Discovery 5 (diesel) - Drives really well, awesome engine, but already having maintenance issues and is brand new!
- G wagon - what a beast (awesome engine) but a beast from another century and my god the steering is heavy.
- Ford Expedition - Drives and feels like a truck.
- Ford Raptor - Cool but don't want a UTE/truck
- Nissan Armada - Seems to lack the aftermarket Offroad gear
- Tahoe/Yukon - Not tough enough for the desert.

Going to drive the 4runner Trail Premium today. What do you guys think of these? I worry that the engine will have the same issues as my LR4 and worry about being over gross weight fast with a few bars and racks.

Currently (and this is changing daily is) my thinking is that, at the end of the day, while I love the driving feel of the LR4/Land Rovers I will prioritize the reliability of the Toyota/Lexus platform. Then the decision becomes: LC200/LX570 or LC100/LX470 or 4Runner Trail premium.

PS Thought this thread was interesting 2017 4runner v 2017 Landcruiser

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom