Underhood Shower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Christo: How much $...I don't see them on your website?

any thoughts on this heat exchanger (from our friends who burn french fry oil)

http://www.greaseworks.org/index.php?module=pncommerce&func=itemview&ItemID=9

ICH-001.jpg

$75

After weighing the pros and cons, I just called up Slee and ordered a kit that comes with a heat exchanger and all the plumbing. I will add a bigger pump (sureflo 2.8 gpm) just because I have one laying around already. heres a pic of the kit.

So what is the heat exchanger attached to (manifold?) or conntected to (cooling system) to generate heat?

I understand the best place is the return from the heater core.
Sean

MTNRAT said:
I understand the best place is the return from the heater core.
Sean

is that so you can use the heater temp slider to control the temp of your hot water shower?

please post a full write up of your install and your thoughts of it when ur done. also how much was it?

thanks

mike

This topic has been covered to death in somewhere recently - perhaps outfitting?

I know this might sound really dumb to some of you, and I do realize that getting creative with your Cruisers is fun and exciting, but....

At what point in all this planning, purchasing, building, customizing, welding, fabricating, redesigning, rewelding, and reconfiguring are you gonna say "Just pack the kettle, I'll take a whore's bath!"

Doesn't somebody make a propane heat exchanger/water pump configuration where you can take a bucket or gerry can, pop in the hose, turn the thing on and take a shower? Something that doesn't require having the engine running and hot, that doesn't require you to be near the vehicle at all...

Zodi Shower

Rusty Phillips said:
is that so you can use the heater temp slider to control the temp of your hot water shower?

Sure is . I have a Glind shower fitted and also have an inline tap fitted to the line under the bonnet. just makes it a bit easier to control and saves climbing into the cruiser half way through a shower to adjust the temp

Sure, but what the frell is the fun in that?

Some people just don't get it..........and here I am thinking about how to rig a power takeoff for a small machine lathe.....sheeesh! :cheers:

flowman said:
here I am thinking about how to rig a power takeoff for a small machine lathe.....sheeesh! :cheers:

since we're telling all,

I was thinking about buying a CO2 tank and using it to refill my tires

AND using it for a CO2 tap on my onboard kegerator system (with a choice of three beers from taps mounted on the dashboard)

you think a 20 lb'er is big enough or should I go straight to the 50 lb bottle of CO2?

I understand that if I can also get a liquid siphon in the tank I can make dry ice too? sweet!!!

Rusty Phillips said:
since we're telling all,

I was thinking about buying a CO2 tank and using it to refill my tires

AND using it for a CO2 tap on my onboard kegerator system (with a choice of three beers from taps mounted on the dashboard)

you think a 20 lb'er is big enough or should I go straight to the 50 lb bottle of CO2?

I understand that if I can also get a liquid siphon in the tank I can make dry ice too? sweet!!!

Now THAT is the coolest mod I've ever heard of.

In college we had this place in town that only served beer, no hard alcohol, but they had something like 60 different beers on tap, and the entire wall behind the bar was covered in taps that stuck out of the wall. It was like beer tap wallpaper!

Shahram said:
I know this might sound really dumb to some of you, and I do realize that getting creative with your Cruisers is fun and exciting, but....

At what point in all this planning, purchasing, building, customizing, welding, fabricating, redesigning, rewelding, and reconfiguring are you gonna say "Just pack the kettle, I'll take a whore's bath!"

Doesn't somebody make a propane heat exchanger/water pump configuration where you can take a bucket or gerry can, pop in the hose, turn the thing on and take a shower? Something that doesn't require having the engine running and hot, that doesn't require you to be near the vehicle at all...

Zodi Shower

The Zodi and others like them work fine. The only limiting factor is how much water you can use for your shower (note this is not the case with the Zodi, but is with those with the tanks that you heat up. With the heat exchanger set up, your shower can last as long as you want it to. At Rubicon Springs during last year's Rubithon, Pismo Jim had the shower going with water pulled from the Rubicon river. No waiting for water to heat up... He could've made a few bucks if he charged the people who were lined up :)

I'd prefer the built in model. There's less stuff to carry (just the pump, shower head and hoses) as compared to the other systems.

Plus...it's got the kewl factor going for it. :D

I'm sure if somebody was so inclined, they could fashion up a fancy counter-current pipe system to heat the water up pretty efficiently. I think I read something about the tankless home water heaters relying on that type of system, but their heat source is significantly hotter than the external temp. of the downpipe.

Also, you can control the temperature to a great degree by varying the speed of the water running through the pipes. A number of aquarium chillers work on this concept. The faster you run the water through the pipes and near the refrigerated tubes (counter-current, opposite flow direction), the less quickly the water cools. I would think you could do the same to heat the water. If you want hot water, you can get by with far fewer coils than you might think just by slowing the flow. Of course, without a tank of some sort, you might not produce enough hot water quickly enough for a shower. Hhhmmmm...

This would be a cool mod. Extra points for the tech-geek factor. A nice hot shower would have saved me from a lot of whining from the candy-a$$ :princess: crowd I camped with this summer. Maybe I can assign this as an extra-credit project if I get some Doogie Howser TAG kid this year in my science class. Excellent use of tax-payer money.

dclee said:
In college we had this place in town that only served beer, no hard alcohol, but they had something like 60 different beers on tap, and the entire wall behind the bar was covered in taps that stuck out of the wall.

you werent in NC by chance?

I was actually inspired by this pic but didnt think Id have enough room on the dash

pourhouse-taphandlesadapted.jpg

http://www.the-pour-house.com - is a pretty cool bar - my nephews band used to play there all the time

Rusty Phillips said:
you werent in NC by chance?

pourhouse-taphandlesadapted.jpg

Nice Selection!

Blue Moon (5th beer from the right) is my Favorite! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom