Ultragauge vs Scangauge II (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I like the "convenience" of the bluetooth concept. But, everything on Amazon seems to be Android based. Additionally, I use my iPad for navigation.

I want to monitor my rig while traveling. The Ultragauge wins the price war ($79 vs $159) and has a "nicer" display imho. Curious if the Scanguage II is really $80 better. Would appreciate feedback from anyone using either of these.

I love my ultra gauge! I have it on my 100 and Tacoma and it works well! It also does a great job with cels and gas mileage. I understand that you may be able to monitor transmission temp with the scan gauge...

Agree, the Ultragauge has a better, easier to read display. Recently coming from the 4runner world, I "heard" that the scangauge had more available features to select from (for instance trans temp, MAF readings, etc). Being a recent graduate to the 100 series I am still working my way into things. I would like to pick one up, interested what other have to say.

All I know is just using my Scangauge the first 2-3x made it pay for itself compared to what I'd have paid to have someone else read codes in my vehicles. Yes, it has MAF reading and trans temp, etc. I keep mine velcro'd on the steering column in front of the gauge cluster.

OBDLink MX Wi-Fi + DashCommand = iOS

2 cents, I prefer less device clutter though . . . YMMV

I own both but for the 100 series ScanGauge for the win. The main reason is trans temp I have not seen anyone get trans temp out of a UltraGauge. The ScanGauge is much easier to set up and change although you can get more info out of a UltraGauge but 90% of the buyers dont understand the additional info anyway. The SCanGauge sets on top of the steering column making it very easy to read.

I own both but for the 100 series ScanGauge for the win. The main reason is trans temp I have not seen anyone get trans temp out of a UltraGauge. The ScanGauge is much easier to set up and change although you can get more info out of a UltraGauge but 90% of the buyers dont understand the additional info anyway. The SCanGauge sets on top of the steering column making it very easy to read.

How important is tranmission temp? I see it mentioned multiple times and have to assume it's a mission critical data point. I've never even thought about it as I just watch the oil pressure and engine temperature only. Is that alone so critical to safe and reliable operation of the LX/LC? I sure would love it if it could monitor AHC pressures as well....but I don't see that listed anywhere :(

How important is tranmission temp? I see it mentioned multiple times and have to assume it's a mission critical data point. I've never even thought about it as I just watch the oil pressure and engine temperature only. Is that alone so critical to safe and reliable operation of the LX/LC? I sure would love it if it could monitor AHC pressures as well....but I don't see that listed anywhere :(

I like to see trans temp because I tow, find myself sitting for extended periods of time, and drive it hard in the AZ heat on the open road. You would be entertained how much the temp moves around and the effect different driving habits on temp.

My SG is also connected all the time. Is it worth it? Absolutely. The LC is my wife dd. A while back, she and our baby was in different city about an hour away. When she started the car to go home the CEL went off. She called me asking what to do. I guided her how to see the code in SG. It was O2 sensor. Told her to just drive home - no worries, the LC was not going to leave her stranded somewhere. My wife was a bit worried driving the car but they made it safely. It is just nice to have all of the data right there when/if needed.

Would I buy it again? Absolutely. Having said that, I have never seen UG except on a computer, so I can not really judge which is better.

I've had my Ultra-Gauge so long that I maxed out the total miles, and then for s***s and giggles didnt reset it, it then counted backwards, hit zero and started climbing again...it max's out at 30k...it was counting backwards yet again before I reset it.

Yes trans temp would be nice, and the new version may offer that, I dont know.
But being able to scroll through 8 pages of data automatically is nice. And using colored cellophane you can change the color of the display to match your dash lights.
I have mine placed so it is just below my line of sight so I do not have to take my eyes off the road.

Each to their own, but for the price, display and ease of use...UG for the win.

I know this is more about Ultras vs Scangauges, and you have an iPhone. But for the price, I paid $21 for a Bluetooth obd reader and $4.99 for the Torque Pro app. I get trans temp and plenty of other options that I don't know how to use yet. I use an Amazon fire tablet for navigation and the obd readings. Easy enough to switch between the two.

There are several WiFi obd readers, which is what the iPad and iPhones need, for a similar price.

I just thought I'd post this up for others who are looking at this thread for options.

[End Hijack]

Sorry for the crappy photo

IMG_20170726_091848.jpg

I know this is more about Ultras vs Scangauges, and you have an iPhone. But for the price, I paid $21 for a Bluetooth obd reader and $4.99 for the Torque Pro app. I get trans temp and plenty of other options that I don't know how to use yet. I use an Amazon fire tablet for navigation and the obd readings. Easy enough to switch between the two.

There are several WiFi obd readers, which is what the iPad and iPhones need, for a similar price.

I just thought I'd post this up for others who are looking at this thread for options.

[End Hijack]

Sorry for the crappy photo

View attachment 1504484

I like the Amazon Fire idea (I could keep my iPad on navigation duties) Hadn't thought of that. I have an older Fire HD sitting in a drawer somewhere. Got it on a Fry's sale for like $70 a year or two ago. Maybe it's finally got a "purpose"

I like the Amazon Fire idea (I could keep my iPad on navigation duties) Hadn't thought of that. I have an older Fire HD sitting in a drawer somewhere. Got it on a Fry's sale for like $70 a year or two ago. Maybe it's finally got a "purpose"

The Fire Tablet has worked pretty well for me. It's a bit slow, but I really only use it for navigation (and now the OBD stuff). It's not the HD, just the generic 7 from a couple years ago, only $50 when I bought it. Sometimes you can get them for $30 when on sale. It didn't have its own GPS receiver, so I added a Dual Electronics XGPS150 receiver. I usually set my phone up as a wifi hotspot when traveling, so the Fire can get data. I just need to get the Fire mounted somewhere so it's not bouncing around.

Ive owned both.... scan gauge for the win! Aside for whats mentioned above you can match the backlight color to any possible color you have.
it is by far easier to navigate thru the different modes.

Which model years of Hundys can display AT temp on SG?

All

Firmware needs to be up to date. Not much of a problem for us because ScanGauge is in Tempe. I brought mine by to get the firmware updated and have them set up the trans code and they felt my screen was a little dull and the buttons were dirty. The results they took care of everything including new unit parts at zero cost.

Try to contact anyone about an UltraGauge issue or help.:rofl:

Last edited:
I have both and each has features that are better than the other to me.

I got the SG first and love that the cable disconnects from the unit,I have cables in my Tundra and Sprinter and can easily move the SG as needed between them.
It could not be much more simple to use though and mounting is just a Velcro strip anywhere I want it to be.
The display is unreadable maybe 60% of the time now though and that sucks in any color I try,it is just old now and mine does not seem to read transmission temp at least I have never been able to get it o?

The UG is a work of art design wise at first compared to the SG mostly for the legible screen and options for designing the pages.
Upon further use though it was clearly designed by some moron it seems as the buttons are on the back which pretty much rules out many mounting options that I could use if they were on the front????
I simply can not understand the reasoning for this?
So I have a single page in use and I still get a lot more out of this than the SG in the end.

I will be ordering a WiFi model myself soon I am sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom