u-joint bearing race replacements? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If that was the case, would it be able to move freely and smoothly as it does?

Yes, but not for long. Most likely will have some vibrations and without the clips the cap could work its way out.

Yes, but not for long. Most likely will have some vibrations and without the clips the cap could work its way out.
I ordered another u joint for replacement in preparation - but just gonna run it as is for now. Will update later on how it goes once I finish up a few other repairs!

If that caps comes out which it will since it does not have a clip, you will be ordering more than another u joint, like said above a needle bearing probably slipped out of place not allowing cap to fully seat. Please fix it correctly

Driveshaft pole vault!

Ditto all above:

If money is short or you just need to get it back on the road I might slather some JB Weld into the damaged yolk (metal sanded then cleaned off very well with Acetone first) just before installing a new OEM U-joint (working fast before the JB Weld cures). Any excess will be pushed out by the cap and can be wiped off, just be careful to not get any JB Weld inside the bearing cap or let it harden in the groove for the retaining clips.

Definitely need the retaining clips which are available in different thicknesses from Toyota.

Once the JB Weld cures it might help prevent the cap from moving around depending on how damaged the yolk is?? At least it would get you back on the road.

Otherwise might be better to buy a new propeller shaft or if money is tight pick up a good used driveshaft for $100 from the Classifieds Parting Out section.

FWIW the Tiger Tool kit with a cordless impact makes it a no-sweat job:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom