Two footing on loose surfaces, GX chopped the throttle automatically, is this normal? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig is an 80 series (LX450), but this past Friday we took my wife's '14 GX460 to go play on some gravel roads.
I tried to drive it like I do the LX (very user input orientated) and the computer wouldn't let me.
I was in 4Lo, center diff lock off, on a steep gravel incline and it was scrabbling for traction. I stopped, pinned the brake down, increased RPM to 1200 and eased off the brake to control torque distribution... the ECM chopped the throttle! Would not let me control forward motion with the brake pedal. Yes, I could have just pushed the center diff lock button, but I was experimenting with the wife's rig.

Is this normal? I two foot all the time in the 80.

You are fighting ATRAC
But the little Icon for traction control disabled comes on in 4Lo. So you're saying there still some function of the traction control active, even when it "tells" me its off?

BTW its a base mdl it has hill descent control, but no crawl control.

Last edited:
Yes.. ATRAC is built around braking wheel with less grip

The MTS mod gives you options to make it variable assist. Crawl and MTS can be installed independently of each other as well

Reactions: r2m
You could also be activating Smart Stop introduced on 2011 GX 460

What is Lexus Smart Stop Technology?

Lexus Smart Stop Technology is a safety feature that automatically reduces engine power when the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously. The system is designed to prevent unintended acceleration, which can occur when the driver accidentally presses the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

How Does It Work?

Lexus Smart Stop Technology works by using sensors to detect when the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously. When this happens, the system reduces engine power to help bring the car to a stop. The system does not shut off the engine completely, which allows the driver to maintain control of the vehicle.

It feels and acts like the Smart Stop as described.
I can two foot when moving, to control a slide, but not from a stopped condition.
I will need to experiment more.
We really disliked the Hill Descent Control, the ABS banging away when all I needed to do was manually shift to 1st or 2nd and let the engine do it's thing.

Frigging computers, trying to out think what I want. The kids in the office are right, I'm Techno-curmudgeon. LOL

It feels and acts like the Smart Stop as described.
I can two foot when moving, to control a slide, but not from a stopped condition.
I will need to experiment more.
We really disliked the Hill Descent Control, the ABS banging away when all I needed to do was manually shift to 1st or 2nd and let the engine do it's thing.

Frigging computers, trying to out think what I want. The kids in the office are right, I'm Techno-curmudgeon. LOL
Yeah, pretty sure it's the smart stop that they added during the whole "unintended acceleration" debacle. You'll find that with more aggressive two-footing at speed, it'll cut your gas as well. The lengths we go to to avoid admitting that a dead guy was actually just a bad driver who messed up. So dumb.

I used to have an 80 with open diffs too. Have an open mind about ATRAC, it can work wonders on these rigs and pulled me over obstacles that the lifted 80 got stuck on.

Another fantastic reason why I love my 2010!!

What is Lexus Smart Stop Technology?

Lexus Smart Stop Technology is a safety feature that automatically reduces engine power when the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously. The system is designed to prevent unintended acceleration, which can occur when the driver accidentally presses the accelerator instead of the brake pedal.

How Does It Work?

Lexus Smart Stop Technology works by using sensors to detect when the accelerator pedal and brake pedal are pressed simultaneously. When this happens, the system reduces engine power to help bring the car to a stop. The system does not shut off the engine completely, which allows the driver to maintain control of the vehicle.
Never knew, learned something new!
May have to try this sometime on a trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom