Turning the engine by hand? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Quick question. I'm going to adjust my valves. Can I turn the engine by hand with the belt, if I remove all the spark plugs?

Yes, I know how the book says to do it. I tried with it with the engine running and destroyed two feeler gauges. I think it's stupid and dangerous. I'm not doing it that way.

Thanks

Put it in fourth gear, release the parking brake, and rock it by hand to get it where you want it.

Of course, do this on fairly level ground.

Put it in fourth gear, release the parking brake, and rock it by hand to get it where you want it.

Of course, do this on fairly level ground.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure I have enough space in my drive way, but I'll give it a shot.

It doesn't take any space. You can do it in a garage.

I thought about that, but I'm not sure I have enough space in my drive way, but I'll give it a shot.

The compression is low enough that you may not need to remove the plugs.

I cant get my breaker bar and 46mm socket between the radiator and fan.

I don't want to drain the coolant and pull the radiator just to accomplish this task.

Just roll it by hand. Easy peasy.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I'll either roll the truck or turn the flywheel. I appreciate it.

And I might make up a special tool to attach to the crankshaft pulley nut for future use.

You don't have to drain coolant. Just get the shroud out of the way (detaching) and support the slightly elevated radiator with a bit of wood on two sides.

You can insert the end of a 3/8" breaker-bar with a pivot end and it will fit into the slot for the original hand crank bar, and turn clockwise. I ground two flats on the end of the breaker and attached a vise-grip to the end of it and a leverage-tube ('cheater bar') over the threaded end of the vise-grip handle.

Also, a proper socket was a tad tricky to get in there but it works as well. Turn clockwise.

I have the hand crank style nut the crank pulley. I made this up pretty quick with 1/2 pipe. Works great.

Hand Crank.jpg
Hand Crank 2.jpg

Crank.jpg

I don't have mine anymore... got rid of it with the F motors. It'll even start the rig in a pinch. Keep it well lubed if you don't want to break things.

I'll add this to my list of unicorns to look for...

There are measurements and specs in a thread to make one... If they kick back it'll break your wrist, so be cautious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom