Turn signal blowing fuse problem (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BGMachine

Working on cars I can't afford
Threads
Good evening all,

I was hoping one of you would be able to shed some light on my situation. Yesterday when I was out driving, I noticed that suddenly my turn signals no longer worked. I tested out the hazards and that still worked. When I got home I checked the fuse and it was blown. I replaced it and went about my business. Then tonight it blew out again. Well now I was out of low amp fuses so I replaced it with a 15amp fuse and started fiddling with it. I have LED turn signal clusters in my bumper that I had noticed were starting to get water in them and fail so I disconnected them. no dice. I did notice when I turn on the right signal, everything is fine, but the left signal, the lights are very dim, my interior lights dim, and on top of that I can hear increased electrical load being applied to the engine. This same happens if I turn on the hazards. Am I correct in assuming that something is probably shorting out on the left side? Does anyone know of any usual places to look? thanks for the help.

On a possibly related note, occasionally one of my instrument cluster lights will turn off (the one for the left half of the speedo) but then I bang on the top of the dash once and it lights back up. Could the two problems be related?

Last edited:
Is the rig equipped with a trailer harness, if so this is the first check. There is often a turn signal wire (part of the trailer kit) that goes across under the chrome floor trim at the rear hatch that is known to short.

Is the rig equipped with a trailer harness, if so this is the first check. There is often a turn signal wire (part of the trailer kit) that goes across under the chrome floor trim at the rear hatch that is known to short.

It does have a trailer harness. I'll have to check there and hopefully I'll find a frayed wire. Thanks for the idea.

My trailer wiring shorted out my turn signals yesterday!

The tail light converter box in the rear right quarter panel was wet and corroded from a window leak. After unplugging it, everything was good!

Check all wires on the trailer harness. That solved my problem.

I tired disconnecting the wires from the back of the trailer harness box (I think that was the correct place) and it seemed to work at first. The car was off but the ignition was on and the left turn signal worked fine. But when I drove in to work this morning, the fuse blew again when I turned left the first time. So either something is moving in the wiring harness and shorting out, or in only happens when the engine is on. I'll investigate further after work. Does anybody have a wiring diagram or ideas? Thanks.

I ended up removing my my light converter box entirely. It was sitting in a pool of water at the bottom of the quarterpanel. It had double stick tape on the back; I think it used to be stuck to the body panel and fell off...totally corroded on the inside from the water :(

Did you try removing the wire that runs under the chrome plate to the left taillight? Mine was in rough shape and likely contributed to the issue.

So I removed the chrome trim piece and inspected the wire. I found a point where it looks like the wire got pinched between the chrome and the floor and exposed some wire. I tapped it up and tested it. It seems to have been the fix, but I'll know better once I drive it tomorrow. Thanks for the ideas on where to look all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom