Tube or service bed for FJ45? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

HandForged

Built Not Bought!
Threads
Need some inspiration here. I am cutting down a fj40 body to an extended cab pickup and using an fzj80 chassis as the base. The bed I am looking for is something reminiscent of a service body but I am not finding much inspiration. If you guys have any pics hidden of either tube beds or service bodies on fj45's, I'd appreciate it.

Its not a 45, but I have always liked the beds on this truck and want to build something for my 45:

that gives me some ideas but not exactly what I was looking for.

This is a 45 cab on a stretched 80 chassis and an early telephone service bed.

Rear Bumper Added.jpg

How much was this frame stretched? I found this picture looking at various 45 pictures.

It was stretched 7 inches but the picture I posted is before the stretch. I photo shopped the wheel wells to get an idea before cutting. I posted that picture just to show the service bed option.

Here is a picture of the of it after the stretch and no photo shop.

20180516_002731.jpg

Last edited:
It was stretched 7 inches but the picture I posted is before the stretch. I photo shopped the wheel wells to get an idea before cutting. I posted that picture just to show the service bed option.

Here is a picture of the of it after the stretch and no photo shop.

View attachment 2153368
while I'm at it, what kind of wheel is pictured there?

while I'm at it, what kind of wheel is pictured there?

The wheels are Hutchinson Beadlocks under their Rock Monster brand. The tires in the first picture are 40x13.5 Toyo MTRs. The second picture they are 37x12.50.

The wheels are Hutchinson Beadlocks under their Rock Monster brand. The tires in the first picture are 40x13.5 Toyo MTRs. The second picture they are 37x12.50.

Cool, that is the direction I am headed now. Need to sell a rolling chassis and get the beadlocks ordered. I'm trying to get my build thread moved over to hardcore where it belongs.

There was a thread a while back wher someone used the tray bed off one of the Japanese mini trucks, the little 800cc ones. It fit a fj45 really well, will try and find the pix..

a 79 series bed looks pretty good on a 45.

sdf.jpg

I ran a Toyota lite ace bed years ago. It was 8 ft!, so I cut it down to 6ft. Worked well and very useful.
DD95095D-8C47-47B1-B0BC-C3F007C12C2C.png

thanks whitey.... that was the one I was thinking of, forgot it was yours...

Here is my favorite picture.

1577483453412.png

I am still fairly undecided on a bed for the truck. I like the stock bed look but in all honestly I want to do something different. Fabricating a service body for it would be the ultimate goal. I think second on the list is a fully covered "Turtle shell" UTE style bed as I have seen a bunch of them do in OZ. I will have roughly 5' 11" to play wit back there and a lot of stuff to add under the chassis so a stock looking bed is about out for me.

I do love that truck though. That's clean...

I drew up something a while back, although the dimensions are off for the chassis I am using. I really like the concept.

FJ tool bed.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom