TTT -- The Tool Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Solidddd. Looks real nice. Does this guy have anything else for sale that I don't need but probably want to buy?
It’s really nice, the action on it is very smooth. The guy I bought it from was certified in calibration of metrology equipment, a big plus if you’re buying used micrometers.

He had a TON of equipment he was selling, but already sold off most of it by the time I found his listing. I was kicking myself for not having found his listing sooner. He has one more mic left, a Scherr-Tumico 3”-4” micrometer. It looked nice, but it didn’t have the 3” standard for calibration. All of his equipment was in top shape.

@GLTHFJ60 if you are interested, I can send you his contact info.

Long shot here... anyone in the Triangle have the equipment for degreeing a cam? Not completely necessary, but with my motor on a stand and a timing set with adjustability, I thought it'd be a fun learning process. Not something worth purchasing for me since I'm not building engines on a regular basis :D

Long shot here... anyone in the Triangle have the equipment for degreeing a cam? Not completely necessary, but with my motor on a stand and a timing set with adjustability, I thought it'd be a fun learning process. Not something worth purchasing for me since I'm not building engines on a regular basis :D

never go full boomer

Didn't realize the joy of learning was age specific???? :flipoff2:

Adding adjustable cam timing in a stock LS is pretty silly, let me guess you bought roller rockers for it too :rolleyes:
All just more hardware to fail for zero gain

Adding adjustable cam timing in a stock LS is pretty silly, let me guess you bought roller rockers for it too :rolleyes:
Nope, just the least expensive single roller set from a quality manufacturer. The adjustability feature was coincidence and I didn't even know it was included until I unboxed it.

Geez Matt, you are the walking billboard for the phrase "I wish I know now what I thought I knew then" The burden of knowing everything must be overwhelming.

Geez Matt, you are the walking billboard for the phrase "I wish I know now what I thought I knew then" The burden of knowing everything must be overwhelming.

Yeah, **** me for trying to help save someone time, money, and effort, what a douchebag, right? Leave me alone with that fake humble pretentiousness of yours

2981F653-B9AC-4899-8E18-3452D243882C.png

:)

Yeah, f*** me for trying to help save someone time, money, and effort, what a douchebag, right? Leave me alone with that fake humble pretentiousness of yours

Had to quote this one for posterity

just run those three words, together, through you head a few times. Yeah, me either.............

and back to our OP

Sooo, back to tools.

I stuck my compressor outside to save space inside, which has been great. It's a low speed compressor, so not loud, but it's loud enough to be annoying. I mulled my options for a while, and thought about building a full insulated enclosure for it, but realized that I did not make the cement pad the compressor sits on large enough to accomodate that.

Dropped some coin on a compressor silenced filter and muffler from McMaster. Holy crap does this thing work well. The compressor is dead quiet now. The compressed air filling the tank is the loudest part of the whole operation now, which is like a muffled *woosh* sound. 10/10.

1610039129330.png

Sooo, back to tools.

I stuck my compressor outside to save space inside, which has been great. It's a low speed compressor, so not loud, but it's loud enough to be annoying. I mulled my options for a while, and thought about building a full insulated enclosure for it, but realized that I did not make the cement pad the compressor sits on large enough to accomodate that.

Dropped some coin on a compressor silenced filter and muffler from McMaster. Holy crap does this thing work well. The compressor is dead quiet now. The compressed air filling the tank is the loudest part of the whole operation now, which is like a muffled *woosh* sound. 10/10.

View attachment 2546450

Link please :)!!

Link please :)!!
P/Ns from mcmaster. It was a risk spending this much, but damn am I glad I did. Would do it again in a heartbeat.

1610040535158.png

Of note, match the NPT size to the intake size on your compressor. Mine has a 1" NPT intake, so I got 1" NPT components to suit.

Sooo, back to tools.

View attachment 2546450

Nice!

Wasn't there some concern about outdoor exposure as well though? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Nice!

Wasn't there some concern about outdoor exposure as well though? Maybe I'm misremembering.

The pressure switch is not splash-rated (hence the garbage bag, lol) but the rest of it (electric motor, compressor, filter, muffler, lines, conduit and whatnot) are all external rated.

I'll put a cover over it eventually, like a little roof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom